autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Question for the Pro's, RE: Inner wheel cleaning/glue removal...?

Hey all, I have a quick question. I searched a bunch, but, couldn't find an answer.

I have a set of rims that came off my old car. The rims are a couple of years old, and in pretty darn good shape on the 'face' of the rim. It's the 'inside' that I want to figure out how to clean. Since the rim takes 'strip' type weights, each time they were balanced, the old strip was taken off, and a new one added where needed. Of course, this left behind the residue of the old glue from the previous weights. What's a good product to use to remove the stuck on glue/residue on the inside of the rim?

Thanks in advance,
    MC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for the Pro's, RE: Inner wheel cleaning/glue removal...?

I'm not a pro, but I've found a plastic razor blade and Stoner's Tarminator to be a great tool in removing all manner of adhesive left-overs.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Inthedeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, will look into it...I'd prefer to sell them in as new condition as possible...so, I'll give that a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inthedeck View Post
    Hey all, I have a quick question. I searched a bunch, but, couldn't find an answer.

I have a set of rims that came off my old car. The rims are a couple of years old, and in pretty darn good shape on the 'face' of the rim. It's the 'inside' that I want to figure out how to clean. Since the rim takes 'strip' type weights, each time they were balanced, the old strip was taken off, and a new one added where needed. Of course, this left behind the residue of the old glue from the previous weights. What's a good product to use to remove the stuck on glue/residue on the inside of the rim?

Thanks in advance,
    MC
    I'm no pro, but here's my experience: I have 20" SRT8 wheels that had the same junk on it. Tried Goo-B-Gone and had very little effect. Tried undiluted APC and no effect. Also tried WD-40 'cuz why not. Then used 3M Adhesive Remover from the local parts store, now we were getting somewhere.

Sprayed the 3M on and tried using a plastic putty knife and was able to get some of the padding off, but not the sticky residue. Sprayed 3M and let it sit for 2-3 minutes and tried a plastic razor blade and that started to remove the residue. Finally, sprayed the 3M, let sit for 2-3 minutes, again, and then used a real razor blade.

Results: I removed the residue, but ended up leaving some scratches behind. My wheel barrels are not a smooth surface, but finely grooved and residue was stuck in there hard.

If you go this route, let the 3M dwell for several minutes. Maybe grind down and sand down to a fine edge a plastic putty knife and gently edge that the sticky crud up if the wheel barrel is smooth. If grooved like mine, then, well, be ultra careful...best I got for you, good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

3M adhesive remover is the best for this and a plastic razor and some patience. I have tried APC, WD-40, Goo Gone, Stoners Citrus Mold Release, and even brake cleaner and the 3m far outperformed everything else. You should be able to get it locally at an auto parts store or hardware store and they have it available at Autogeek as well.

Using a terry cloth towel with a decent nap really helps!

7. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking as a tech who does tires - I've had best luck with the 3M adhesive remover. Brake cleaner can work, but can be a bit aggressive for more sensitive finishes.

My approach - Soak a towel in the adhesive remover (I recommend wearing nitrile gloves) and apply to the adhesive stuck on the wheel. The goal is to get it to "sop up" the adhesive remover and loosen the foam part. You can then scrape it off with a plastic razor or even a towel and some determination. Repeat for the adhesive residue left over once you get the foam out of the way.

Depending how long it's been on there/type of weights they were, sometimes I've even been able to "roll" the adhesive off with my finger. If you've got a bunch of spots to clean, probably not the best approach for your hand's sake.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations. Will give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

3M Adhesive Remover is my favorite as well but I've also used Acetone and a Q-Tip. Same affect. I douse the q-tip in the 3M (or acetone) and run it around and onto the old adhesive mark. Let it sit a bit and douse it again then I use a terry type towel and rub away.

I also like to cover the new weight if its near the old adhesive residue...I don't want to let the 3M or acetone touch the new adhesive and run the chance of throwing a wheel weight while driving.

11. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul...looks like 3M may be the winner, here. There are no tires on the rims, so, I'm pretty sure once they are picked up by someone, they'll need new weights anyway, so, I won't worry about the ones that are on there.

Appreciate all the insight...from pro's, non-pro's, alike.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a tar and glue remover and one that gets like a gel when sprayed. Let it dwell for over 5min but not let it dry. If you see it become dry apply a little more. After 5min or a bit more I take a toothbrush and aggitate the edges and a little on it. I use a power wash at very close distance and spray it of. If you don't have a pw use something plastic material to get the most of. Useally now is the most of and I apply once more the tar and glue remover and let it dwell as the first time. Aggitate it again and scop up the residue with a mf cloth. If not all gets of repeat it till it's gone. If it's really stubborn you can let a soaked part of the mf cloth on the spot and let it dwell for 10min or more to the glue has desolved. Just don't let it dry and finish with a wash to get the tar and glue remover rinsed away. 3m is a good product to use.

14. Likes Inthedeck liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast