autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for the Pro's, RE: Inner wheel cleaning/glue removal...?

I’ve used 3M Adhesive Remover for glue residue and though it was pretty good I actually found Stoners Xenit to work better in my experience.

2. Likes Inthedeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All good advice. Also adding heat from a heat gun or blow dryer helps soften up the adhesive. Still need a good adhesive remover after softening the adhesive.

Use caution with heat guns. Especially around rubber, do not let the wheel get too hot. Just warm enough to start making removal easier. Never use flammable liquids around the heat gun.

4. Likes Inthedeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really need a ton of product for this, so, I'll get the smallest size I can find. Thanks for all the tips and products. I'll get them all cleaned up, and hopefully, they'll find a new home, soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great tip, LED, I forgot heat helps too. Just like debadging, a heat gun or blow dryer used JUDICIOUSLY helps soften it up and make it more pliable.

I wish posts like these could be summarized and stickied with the consensus points bulleted. For example...

Wheel weight residue removal:

1. heat it up carefully with a heat gun or blow dryer
    2. Using nitrile gloves, take an old towel or paper towel and soak it with adhesive remover (3M, Xenit, Stoners Tar Remover, Acetone or your favorite) and lay it on the residue. Don't let it dry! Keep it moist and wet. If the current balancing weight is close bg, avoid getting it wet with remover product.
    3. Take a plastic razor blade, old terry towel, Q-tip (soaked in adhesive remover from #2), old tooth brush (youngest child's from the house works best as you can simply blame the older sibling) or your favorite removal tool and carefully work the residue until it's gone. May take several applications.
    4. CLEAN wheel thoroughly to remove any residual adhesive or removal product.

Or...

5. Just grab an eraser wheel and substitute for 1 through 4. (Sorry, Zack, just playin' witcha!).

Sorry if I missed some tips here or there but you get the jist.

7. Likes SWETM, Inthedeck, LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly... I've found eraser wheels to be the absolute quickest and easiest way to completely remove this type of residue. I used to soak with all sorts of solvents... but it makes a mess and still takes a while. The eraser wheel is quick, easy, and not messy.

Retired Professional Detailer

9. Likes SWETM, Inthedeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Honestly... I've found eraser wheels to be the absolute quickest and easiest way to completely remove this type of residue. I used to soak with all sorts of solvents... but it makes a mess and still takes a while. The eraser wheel is quick, easy, and not messy.
    Eraser wheels are rarely talked about here and highly underrated.

Use caution and go slow and it will still be way faster and less elbow grease than chemical removal, even if you have a little polishing to do afterward
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

11. Likes Inthedeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I had never seen an eraser wheel till I just looked it up. That looks quick and easy.

Do you stay away from using it on painted body panels other than inner barrels of wheels? For wheel weight clean up it does look like a great tool.

Post Thanks / Like

^^Agreed, I'd never heard of them either. Seems like a useful tool, and will help keep rims clean after wheel weight changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    I had never seen an eraser wheel till I just looked it up. That looks quick and easy.

Do you stay away from using it on painted body panels other than inner barrels of wheels? For wheel weight clean up it does look like a great tool.
    They can be used on painted body panels, but the instructions state to NOT use them on plastic panels like bumpers. The eraser wheel can generate quite a bit of heat, so it isn't too big of a deal to use one on the barrel of a wheel, but you must use caution and common sense when using one on the exterior of a vehicle. When used properly, they make quick work of removing adhesive residue, specifically residue from 3M type double sided tape that is often used to attach aftermarket pieces or badges.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on the eraser wheels. They’ve worked pretty well when I’ve used them, be sure to use common sense.

I’ll have to time it next time I do tires - To be honest, I don’t remember a time where I’ve spent more than a few minutes a wheel cleaning up all the weight residue with the approach I mentioned before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast