autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy

Post Thanks / Like

New Guy

Hello,

I'm the newest member. I have been into this for a while, but have always used stuff from Wal Mart or Auto Zone.

I just got a new almost black Jeep Commander, and to my knowledge it hasn't been washed yet. I would not let the dealer clean it up.

Well anyway, I want to start right so I'm following some of the other posts about new cars and I have to say thanks to everyone.

The Natty's Blue seems good for a topper on dark cars, but is it OK for tan as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the Natty Blue would be a good topper but the Natty really shines on dark colors. I would start out with a good washing using a good soap at hand ,then clay the finish it if you have it. Then I would suggest WG paint sealant for the protection and a nice gloss. For the reall depth and shine I would top it with Nattys blue, that's just me or you could do either or just WG sealant or just Nattys. I prefer WG paint sealant with Nattys blue as a topper but thats jsut me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nattys blue will work just fine for tan or any other color for that matter. Normally waxs/sealant that say they are for dark colors seem to have a little extra for reds/blacks but can be used with light colors just as well. Welcome to AG....

Post Thanks / Like
    As said above NB is targeted towards red/black etc. However topping EX-P on my white suv it looks incredible. As deep/wet as white will get. One of our other cars is silver and it looks excellent as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autogeek.net/kitspecials.html

I would highly suggest a car care kit, as it will take the guess work out of 1st time detailing. Some with buffers, others without. Some of the best are the Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Klasse, and Clearkote kits. All will work great on tan and bring out the metallic flakes.

If you decide to stay with OTC products, then look no further than the Mothers Reflection line. Great products.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't believe this a black Jeep and no-one has mentioned Souveran!!!!!!!

Sorry, but for black there's nothing better IMO, even better if it's on top of WG DGPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a beginner, I'd recommend this kit....
    http://www.autogeek.net/pixmtliswreb.html

The XMT is an awesome line and will save you some money. Good thing is, it can be used in high heat and direct sunlight.
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you decide to stay with OTC products, then look no further than the Mothers Reflection line. Great products.[/QUOTE]

Meguiars is also another OTC brand that offers excellent products and
    available almost anywhere. Once you get you feet wet, you will want to
    try the great products that Autogeek carries. Excellent customer service
    and great products with all the advice and care yu will ever need. I buy
    most of my stuff from Autogeek because of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Color

Thanks Guys,

When I said almost black, I should have said the actual.

It is Dark Khaki Pearl Coat.

I call it almost black with greenish metallic flakes.

The dealer said he had never had anyone request their car not to be cleaned. I thought, "If I have to explain then you'll never understand."

The factory clear coat appears to be very thick right now, so I think this will be a good paint care project car. I haven't bought a dark car since a 2000 model Mitsubishi that had clear coat so soft that I think it swirled with water pressure. When we were about to leave the lot with it there was a bug splatter on the hood that the salesman tried to remove with Cut-Rite rubbing compound. Before I could stop him, the damage was done. I finally got the spot looking decent after hours elbow grease, but it still haunts me to this day.

Well, I am going to get some AG products to keep this one looking good. Right now I'm leaning toward Wolfgang sealant and Souveran (or Natty's depending on price).

Right now I have some leftover Turtle Wax Finish 2001 on the shelf (I bought a bunch about 3 years ago) and a bottle of Liquid Glass. I hate to throw this away, but will it be OK to use either until I get the AG stuff? I have tried a lot of OTC stuff, but for some reason, can't throw away TW Finish 2001. I'm afraid to use the Liquid Glass because it seems like an almost permanent coating, and I'm not sure how compatible it is with AG products. My dad has a '91 caddy( with whitewalls) that he will never part with and he has put Liquid Glass on it for 15 years. One time I put some Meg's 100% carnauba over it and it was a mess that I ended up stripping off.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a simple two step combo that won't kill the wallet Clearkotes Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze and Clearkotes Carnuba Moose Wax =27.98 or substitute Moose wax for Nattys Blue=24.98 plus shipping. Great results and easy on the wallet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.