autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IronX and IronX Clones - Fun Facts

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I don't feel like starting a new thread since this one is already out there but I have some questions about this. Iron X is crazy expensive. I have a local shop that also has a Iron X knock off product and they supply local car washes. They want $90 a gallon for the knock off Iron X.

I googled the active ingredients listed above and cannot find a supplier for them. They must be EPA regulated or something until they are diluted out for a product like Iron X. But come on guys, there is no way Iron X or the Iron X knock offs are that expensive. Can't I buy a gallon of the active ingredient and mix my own Iron X?
    I use McKee's and buy it by the gallon it's considerably less expensive, especially when you get 20-25% off during sales along with free shipping. I've used several of these products and not only is McKee's very reasonably priced but IMO the best one I've used.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

A little nerdy + maybe a little OCD + occasional insomnia = this kind of stuff.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

3. Likes minerigger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    This is great info. Thanks for sharing.

So far I've only seen two: Duralgloss and Eagle One, which I just learned about from you. The Hot Rims cleaners don't appear to have oxalic acid per their MSDSs. If I'm reading this wrong or you know of others, please let us know.

About a year ago I was looking for wheel cleaners that had flourides so I could avoid them. Then I couldn't sleep one night and it turned into this spreadsheet of wheel cleaner info. There are no doubt more I could add. If I ever get a free hour I'll try to get the rest of the Eagle One wheel cleaners added and whatever others I can find.

I think it is the Hot Rims that is for chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a gallon of the Hi-Temp brand wheel cleaner that is oxalic acid based, but that's not OTC. It's my mild acid cleaner. Megs WB is my heavy duty acid cleaner. I avoid using both of them if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I think it is the Hot Rims that is for chrome.
    Hot rims is good for all. It's all I've used over the past few years. I have to say there are crannies on my G8 rims that it doesn't just "melt" away, but I'm not sure there's any wheel product that can be sprayed on and rinsed off. I love the stuff. just my .02.
    Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, cleaner for factory wheels
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I have a gallon of the Hi-Temp brand wheel cleaner that is oxalic acid based, but that's not OTC. It's my mild acid cleaner. Megs WB is my heavy duty acid cleaner. I avoid using both of them if I can.
    High Temp MSDS lists only hydrochloric acid (fixed - stupid spell checker). Other than removing mineral deposits I'm don't know what the advantage of strong acid is as a cleaner. I'm sure there is one. If anybody knows please enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    Hot rims is good for all. It's all I've used over the past few years. I have to say there are crannies on my G8 rims that it doesn't just "melt" away, but I'm not sure there's any wheel product that can be sprayed on and rinsed off. I love the stuff. just my .02.
    Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, cleaner for factory wheels
    There are three Hot Rims wheel cleaners. The Chrome one has ammonium biflouride in it which is nasty stuff health-wise. I go out of my way to avoid it. You may want to do some reading.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, sounds like I'm mistaken on the Megs Hot Rims cleaners then. I have seen it on somebody else's OTC wheel cleaner though. I know that my jug of Hi-Temp cleaner says oxalic acid on the label. It is probably almost 10 years old. They may have changed their formula then.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a quite a list of health hazards and the worst part that I learned about ammonium biflouride was that is very easily absorbed through your skin. The vapor is also via lungs and your eyeballs. You are supposed to wear a chem suit, respirator and goggles when using that stuff for industrial uses.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to the local auto parts store and got the Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner when it is buy one get one free and it has the same sulfur smell and changes purple, but I don't want to keep 6 or 12 bottles on a shelf in the garage. I want 1 1 gallon bottle. But I don't think I can get it much cheaper than that.

Post Thanks / Like

No you are right. I have about 25 bottles of the DUB wheel cleaner on the shelf. When it goes on sale for $5 at AA, AZ and O'Reilly's I stock up. Nobody else's price even comes anywhere close to that per oz. You could probably do the same thing with the Megs Ultimate. I add a 1/2oz of Carpro IronX paste to each bottle to make it thicker and cling a bit better. I'm sure it makes it a bit stronger too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast