autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car care ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car care ?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Definitely invest in some quality equipment and products. Never touch the exterior paint with kitchen sponges or cheap microfiber towels. Work in the shade and sing while you work. Enjoy the experience.
    What is is the communities opionion on microfiber Mits?
    I use one with hundreds of microfiber "fingers" it seems to do the trick nicely and my paint has remained in almost perfect condition since the purchase date. .

Also, regardless of how well you take care of the paint/clearcoat on an older car chances are someone before you ran it through a bad/cheap machine dozens of times before. How to I get rid of those swirl marks in my paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahrox1980 View Post
    What is is the communities opionion on microfiber Mits?
    I use one with hundreds of microfiber "fingers" it seems to do the trick nicely and my paint has remained in almost perfect condition since the purchase date. .

Also, regardless of how well you take care of the paint/clearcoat on an older car chances are someone before you ran it through a bad/cheap machine dozens of times before. How to I get rid of those swirl marks in my paint?
    I use my microfiber Chenille wash mitt all of the time. The fingers lift the dirt and the mitt gets clean with a few swipes on the grit guard.
    A swirl remover with a light cutting pad will get rid of the swirl marks. I like Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

Mike Phillips

Hey great question....

Anyone that has read any volume of my posts over the last 20+ years has seen me type three words over and over again, here they are,

1. Abrasive Technology
    2. Touch

And here's what they mean,

Abrasive Technology
    Never use crap for compounds, polishes or cleaner/waxes on your car's paint. Never let anyone else use crap for compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes on your car.

Your car's paint is thin. It is EASILY scratched. It takes hours to remove the scratches and removing the scratches means REMOVING A LITTLE PAINT. Paint is thin. Get the picture? If you see me use it in a write-up on this forum or showcase it on TV or showcase it in a class then you can trust it. I won't use crap product on my own car and I won't use crap products on other people's cars.

Touch
    The word touch means just that - ANYTHING that touches your car's paint has the POTENTIAL to scratch it.

Your car's paint is thin. It is EASILY scratched. It takes hours to remove the scratches and removing the scratches means REMOVING A LITTLE PAINT. Paint is thin. Get the picture?

Only use the highest quality products your budget allows to touch your car's paint. This means compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes and it also means wash mitts, microfiber towels and drying towels. These are the things that TOUCH your car's paint.

I wrote the below article to share how to TOUCH your car when washing it if it has a ceramic paint coat BUT the tips and techniques APPLY no matter what you use for an LSP.

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips

And in my opinion - the most important video and article I've written in my entire life...

1. Click the link.
    2. Look at the pictures
    3. Watch the video
    4. Practice what I practice and teach

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Ha ha... I made that video with my phone.

Hope that helps...

Or buy a silver metallic car and forget about all this stuff.

Mike Phillips

Also

I've moved your thread out of

New Car Care Products

Which is a forum "group" for new products launched on Autogeek.com - and moved it into

Auto Detailing 101

Which is a forum "group" for questions about car detailing.

We don't really have anyone on this forum doing what is called,

Housekeeping

Forum housekeeping is a Moderator that sees posts posted into the wrong forum group and then without direction knows to move them to the correct forum group to have a neat and tidy forum.

My old friend Tim aka 2hotford was the best in the industry when it came to this "best practice". I do it when I can but for the most part it's low on the priority list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12