autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Tires - How To?

Well the Simoniz Tire Cleaner was a total waste of time and effort. It didn't even get the "brown" off after three applications and I even used a scrub brush.

I can't see how a water based product can get a waxy film off rubber. I already wiped down the tires with solvent last week and that got most of it off.

My AutoGeek order will be in next week. The Mother's and Tuf Shine that I ordered better work a whole lot better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    Every time I get new tires and I wash them to get the tire lube off from mounting them, the rubber appears to have a waxy or mold release coating on them that turns grey or whitish.
    I would hazard a guess that your issue stems from the fact that your tires are brand new, vs. your cleaner of choice being inadequate. You're exactly right about new tires having a mold release coating plus they also have fresh anti-ozonant that will try to leach to the outside of the tire. This will diminish over time and just requires patience.

There's been several good rubber cleaners recommended in the thread so far, including Mother's Back-To-Black Tire Renew and McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator. I'll throw another solvent-based cleaner into the mix for you to try - Griots Rubber Prep:

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-rubber-prep.html

Even after thoroughly cleaning my tires before applying a protective tire coating, Griots Rubber Prep always seems to remove more dirt and grime left behind by the other cleaners. Give it a shot, it may help to resolve or at least reduce your problem.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Griots Rubber Prep always seems to remove more dirt and grime left behind by the other cleaners. Give it a shot, it may help to resolve or at least reduce your problem.
    Oh sure, now you tell me, after my AutoGeek order has been shipped.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes its best to clean them, driven on them, clean them some more and repeat for a bit. I say this because the tires are so new and they need to "breathe", especially brand new ones with that "stuff" on them.

That said, Optimum Power Clean aka Alien Kleen is an outstanding product, not a designated tire cleaner persay but an great all around cleaner, check it out!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Sometimes its best to clean them, driven on them, clean them some more and repeat for a bit. I say this because the tires are so new and they need to "breathe", especially brand new ones with that "stuff" on them.
    I've noticed that. I bought my new daily driver in May and the rubber on those tires look natural. Its the new winter tires I just installed on new alloys that are causing me grief. They will go on the car before the end of the month, clean or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I start with Simple Green diluted 1:1 sprayed on the tires and wheel wells. Then I mix a solution of water and Dawn dish detergent. I soak a tire brush in the Dawn solution and scrub the tires. They rinse clean without harsh chemicals.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner, works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been going through a lot of McKee's TCAR and the trick for me is to rinse and repeat until the suds turn clean. That's several times in most cases. Then a tire coating at about 3 layers.

I also agree with clean, drive, clean, drive etc. to wear off new tires. And by "drive" I prefer the "spirited" method to turn them sidewalls for exercise!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJP4379 View Post
    I use Super Clean diluted 4:1 to clean my tires and u can pick that up at wally world. I believe a gallon cost around $10.
    This stuff works well!

I watched Scott’s, Dallas Paint Corrections YouTube channel regarding Super Clean and was impressed with his results. Great wheel well cleaner and worked very well for extremely dirty Weathertech mats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Finish View Post
    Well the Simoniz Tire Cleaner was a total waste of time and effort.
    Now that the spray bottle is empty, I got the labels off with Goo Gone and will be using it as that and filling it with Facto AT30, the best water-based degreaser out there. As in the past, the Facto AT30 did a far better job in cleaning the "brown" off the rubber tires. I'll see how the Mother's and Tuf Shine that I ordered works the next time I have to clean them.

Edited to add:
    It seems I asked the topic question before some years ago which I just came across...old age I guess.
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...g-product.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast