autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restoring/Protecting Audi Polished Aluminum Sport Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by markiteight View Post
    The car the mirrors are going onto (a 1995 S6 Avant) does have glass lenses. The car they came off of (2005 S4), doesn't.

However all 2000 and later North American market Audis have plastic lenses, just like everyone else. Mercifully some E-Code headlights continued to come with glass lenses post apocalypse, but they're becoming harder and harder to find.

That being said the two m.y. 2000 Audis in the family both have original headlights, have never been restored, and are showing minimal fading/discoloration. It's not like Audi was using some magic U.V. proof plastic because I've seen plenty of V.A.G. products from the same era with badly faded lights, ours have just had above average care.
    What I miss my old Audi s4 -92 in that color! It was with 5 cylinder turbo and it was a dream to drive. The odd front breaks was a thing that didnt last in the longrun and they was UFO breaks. With the calipers clamps from under the rotor instead of from the top. That gave the rotor a much larger diameter than regular. There was a protection in form of a steel rim so the break pads would'nt fly of and damage the surroundings if they did. Look like you had a steel rim inside the alu rim lol

They will look great on your car those mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'm no expert, but I believe that would involve sanding.
    That's my thinking as well. I was just curious if a product exists that I could try first, but I have a feeling there's nothing aggressive enough to address anything but the lightest pitting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    What I miss my old Audi s4 -92 in that color! It was with 5 cylinder turbo and it was a dream to drive. The odd front breaks was a thing that didnt last in the longrun and they was UFO breaks. With the calipers clamps from under the rotor instead of from the top. That gave the rotor a much larger diameter than regular. There was a protection in form of a steel rim so the break pads would'nt fly of and damage the surroundings if they did. Look like you had a steel rim inside the alu rim lol

They will look great on your car those mirrors.
    We call those "UFO brakes" because they resemble a flying saucer. In the United States they were fitted to the 200 20v and the V8 but by the time the S4 came here Audi had stopped making the UFOs so US spec cars were fitted with the same undersized brakes as the older 200 10v (Girling G60 2 piston caliper), despite being bigger, heavier, and much more powerful. Euro spec cars got the much better HP2 calipers and bigger rotors. Mine have been upgraded with Porsche "Big Red" calipers from the 993 Turbo, but they're soon to be replaced by 6 piston calipers from the Touareg/Cayenne/Q7. Good brakes totally transform the car, the only real downside is I can't use a wheel smaller than 17" now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markiteight View Post
    We call those "UFO brakes" because they resemble a flying saucer. In the United States they were fitted to the 200 20v and the V8 but by the time the S4 came here Audi had stopped making the UFOs so US spec cars were fitted with the same undersized brakes as the older 200 10v (Girling G60 2 piston caliper), despite being bigger, heavier, and much more powerful. Euro spec cars got the much better HP2 calipers and bigger rotors. Mine have been upgraded with Porsche "Big Red" calipers from the 993 Turbo, but they're soon to be replaced by 6 piston calipers from the Touareg/Cayenne/Q7. Good brakes totally transform the car, the only real downside is I can't use a wheel smaller than 17" now.
    I don't suppose you had the 993s on a V8. I may know someone to take that setup off your hands.

Sorry guys, way off topic; but It's in the name of UFO replacements
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123