autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Biggest Pet-Peeves in Detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCougarGuy View Post
    There are many but one I can't stand is when someone asks the cost to detail their vehicle then proceeds to complain about the price.

"Why is it so expensive? I have a Groupon for the car wash. They'll do the whole car inside and out for $60.".
    As I was washing my father in law’s F150 yesterday I thought to myself I wouldn’t wash this truck for less than $80-100. That is just the exterior. Of course there was no charge

Post Thanks / Like

People coming in and expecting a car to be cleaned for a dirt cheap price when their car is totally trashed inside and out. The people who have no idea what they are doing and also the ones saying you are wasting your time.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

3. Likes DogRescuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest pet peeve is someone who wants you to spend hours compounding and polishing their car when you know after the first car wash it'll be scratched up again, especially since they take it to an automatic swirl o matic car washes. That and old guys who walk by and see me in my drive way polishing a car and come up to tell me how dangerous machine polishing is and that I should just do it by hand like they've always done.. or when I'm coating a car they feel the need to come up to me and tell me that I should be using Zaino because Zaino is the best there is. And that all the guys in their Corvette club uses it. Well that's nice I suppose but you're standing in my light..
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

5. Thanks ivoryviking thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, Cleankat, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

The other day my friend said his car needs a detail. Asked me how much I think it will cost to have it done and before I said anything he suggested "About $80?" I laughed and told him that if it's that little the service will suck horribly. Decent job will cost way more than that.

+1 on this. Being NICE ... I will tell friends between $150 & $200 for a wash and polishing with D151. If I'm feeling REAL generous (and it's a small car that was easy to polish) I might throw in a sealant like ULW or UFF, only to have them tell me, "Well so and so does the whole car AND shampoos the interior for $75-$80. I just shrug and tell them to let so and so have at it.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

When attending a cars and coffee and you see countless cars not detailed and your DD is by far much nicer, oh yeah, your DD is in the show too, LOL I mean these are cars that you know sit in the garage for atleast a week at a time, there's NO exuse for this and I'm talking nice rides here too!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is someone who wants you to spend hours compounding and polishing their car when you know after the first car wash it'll be scratched up again, especially since they take it to an automatic swirl o matic car washes. That and old guys who walk by and see me in my drive way polishing a car and come up to tell me how dangerous machine polishing is and that I should just do it by hand like they've always done.. or when I'm coating a car they feel the need to come up to me and tell me that I should be using Zaino because Zaino is the best there is. And that all the guys in their Corvette club uses it. Well that's nice I suppose but you're standing in my light..
    VERY funny right here! My wife's great Uncle, who's going to be 80 next year, has a C7 in Lime Rock green, my favorite color for the C7, just layers Zaino on his car and brags about how many coats he has on it. Meanwhile, you can see RIDS under all the coats and then brags about paying a Mexican $14.00 to hand wash his car (his exact words, not mine) Not sure why older people here in Chicago have to add the ethnicity of the person performing the work but they do, kinda pathetic, just like the finish on his C7. Meanwhile, my car is never even noticed at family events but people get their Nike Air kneepads out and bow down in front of his car, just can't win but honestly, it doesn't matter, he has a Corvette and I have a Fiat 500, LOL.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

9. Likes WillSports3, dlc95, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    It is frustrating when people in the automotive industry have no idea how to properly wash a car. Or have no idea how to identify a swirled out paint job.
    I am with you on that one. As a "courtesy", my dealership runs every car that has service through their automatic car wash. Then it is wiped down by a bunch of yahoos with filthy terry cloth towels. To make matters worse, they dress the tires of every new car with some type of goop that slings off when you leave the lot. The goop sticks to the paint and attracts dirt. I scrape the goop off and power wash the stuff off of the car at the local self serve wash. Then I take it home and dress the tires properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    For me--cords!

Always getting hung up on something
    Walking around the car, it occasionally unplug itself
    Getting twisted often
    Tripping over them
    snagging on my roller/stool

Another---"forgetting something"

Did I just buffed that section out??
    Where is that dang thing I put down? (this always drives me crazy to no end!)
    After getting down on the ground and ready to go, polish is just out of reach.

Tom
    Sounds exactly like my garage. Plugs, forgetting where ya set something down, did I do that section?

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel wells.

They are highly visible on my truck, and it seems like I have to clean/wipe them down about 20 damn times a week. :{
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Biggest Pet-Peeves in Detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Wheel wells.

They are highly visible on my truck, and it seems like I have to clean/wipe them down about 20 damn times a week. :{

Same here but...

I just shoot them with griots undercarriage spray and all of my troubles go away. Great stuff! The spray will make a dirty wheel well look clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast