autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tipping Point vis-a-vis Detailing

When I bought my 2011 Dodge Charger R/T I googled "wax". Search engine led me here......And now I have a shed filled with waxes, polishes, pads, towels, on and on.
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

Post Thanks / Like

Tipping Point vis-a-vis Detailing

My tipping point was also purchasing a new car... my first "non-daily driver"... a 2001 Corvette.

My desire to keep the Corvette looking it's best led me to two things.

1. Zaino - the Zaino products were all the rage at the time in the Corvette discussion forums. I jumped on the bandwagon and put many, many coats of Z5 and Z2 on my car over the years Tipping Point vis-a-vis Detailing.

2. Griots Garage Catalog - I don't recall who gave me my first Griots catalog, but I was smitten the first time I flipped through the pages. In addition to Zaino, I've bought a ton of Griots products over the years. Including a GG6 which I used to "buff out" my Corvette every spring with Zaino's AIO (before I really even knew what polishing and sealing was all about).

So yes, my "tipping point" was a new Corvette, Zaino and the Griots Garage catalog!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it was spending $270 on a detail. Don't get me wrong, the detail was beautiful...... When I picked up my truck, the detailer walked me around my vehicle explaining what he did. As this was going on, I took note on what products he had. Did a Google search and then found this forum. I figured I would just start detailing my own car instead of paying someone. Once going, I found that detailing was actually my therapy. Being in the military, I have constant chaos everyday and detailing my car is great "me time". Being that one can only do so much to their car, I started offering others free details. It was during one of these details, that a random guy driving by stopped and asked "how much?". Told him that detailing was just a hobby for me and that I wasn't a professional. He said that the way I was making the current car I was working on look, that he didn't care if I was a pro or not. That was my tipping point that made me want to be detailet. So now I have two professions, military and detailing
    MK7 GTI (stage 3-500whp) / Audi B8.5 S4 (dual pulley-430awhp) / Mercedes C43 AMG (JB4-380awhp)

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it was working for a shop that did high end detailing, that and buying the newest car I had ever owned, a 1988 Beretta GT/black-metallic. Obviously this was in the late 80s - DEFINITELY pre-internet. I learned how to use the Meguiar's consumer/detailer line and an orbital polisher to achieve amazing results. I did this on my own for several years, then the internet kicked in. First it was the generic detailing sites on AOL, then finally to places like this, where I learned that my "wax-spreader" GEM orbital wasn't all that, so I stepped up to a PC and never looked back. During the tail end of the time I worked at the shop, I picked up a brand new 1989 Camaro - black of course and learned how to keep it swirl-free. Between the Beretta, the Camaro and working at the shop, I was permanently infected with the detailing bug.

And here I am, decades later, with ANOTHER black Camaro.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Chevy Colorado last December. After a steady diet sensible economy cars this is the 1st vehicle I've really loved. Last Spring I took it to this mass detailing business that has a good reputation locally. They put the car on a conveyor belt, used the same buckets and mops they had been using for god knows how long, and left missed spots in some places, water spots in others. I quickly decided I would have to do it myself. A Chevy forum recommended the Porter Cable 7424xp with 3m Ultrafine. A quick search led me to AutoGeek and I was off.

Post Thanks / Like

First car in high school in 1987. My dad got me a 1978 Mercury Cougar and I used Rain Dance on it, then started experimenting.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12