autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rock chips on Ford Ruby Red , Dr. Colorchip , etc...

Somehow got a cluster of 3 rock hips on my fender. I hit it would a touch up pen , then 6 passes with Dr. Colorchip . I know because of the location , color ( 3 stage ) , etc.. it's not going to look great . I am just wondering if there is anything else I can try to make it look "better" then it already does . I'm fairly resigned right now to say this is the best it's gonna get.

I have spoke to 3 bodyshops estimates range from 700-900 for sand, respray and blend . I'm thinking I am eventually going to do that then Xpel up to the A-pillar.

After Dr Colorchip :
    Rock chips on Ford Ruby Red  , Dr. Colorchip , etc...-img_2547-jpg

Before the Dr. only with the first layer of touchup :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock chips on Ford Ruby Red  , Dr. Colorchip , etc...-image1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rock chips on Ford Ruby Red , Dr. Colorchip , etc...

What I’ve told customers is it not going to be perfect as it is touch up on a chip and it will prevent further damage and I tell them I use the 3 foot rule it will look good three feet away(learned from Mike Phillips) any closer maybe going to body shop will meet your perfect outcome. This helps the customer understand. And your touch is nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

WI'm actually surprised that Dr Colorchip isn't a closer match. I had a 2010 Camaro with almost identical color, also 3 stage paint. I picked up some touchup at the dealership and it wasn't even close, like your touchup. The Dr Colorchip was almost a perfect match. That looks like it's a lot lighter.

I don't have that car anymore, I don't know if it would be any closer being Ford to GM, it might be worth a try before paying for a respray. That picture you took is from about 3' away correct??
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    WI'm actually surprised that Dr Colorchip isn't a closer match. I had a 2010 Camaro with almost identical color, also 3 stage paint. I picked up some touchup at the dealership and it wasn't even close, like your touchup. The Dr Colorchip was almost a perfect match. That looks like it's a lot lighter.

I don't have that car anymore, I don't know if it would be any closer being Ford to GM, it might be worth a try before paying for a respray. That picture you took is from about 3' away correct??
    About , same lighting in the work parking garage too.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with Dr. ColorChip is that it is a hair darker than the oem paint.

2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
    2017 Honda CTX700
    IG- alfaromeogiulia.palmbeach

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2016 Gt in RR and have a rock chip on the hood. I bought the DR kit but have yet to use it. When I do I'll update.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used Dr. CC on a ruby red fusion with great results. Depending on how large the application is or chip is, it seems to be maybe a smidge darker, but it’s pretty dang unnoticeable on the front end road rash that I completeled. You really have to look at it up close with a keen eye.

In those pics, yours look almost lighter in color than the factory paint. Did you make sure that the paint was mixed/shaken properly before application? Id email or call Dr. CC themselves and Im sure they will send you a new bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, DCC is supposed to be for curb appeal / 3 feet away product. We use it all the time but it's not a "body shop in a bottle".
    Mileage may vary

9. Thanks ANGST thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Remember, DCC is supposed to be for curb appeal / 3 feet away product. We use it all the time but it's not a "body shop in a bottle".
    Mileage may vary
    Totally understood, having not used it before , and with a color like mine , its just a question of "Did I do as good as I can ?"

Post Thanks / Like

Rock chips on Ford Ruby Red , Dr. Colorchip , etc...

The good thing about DCC is you can keep trying until you get something you like. Have you tried applying a second coat?

Sometimes I’ll use it like touch up and let it cure for a while before leveling.

IMO you should look into a full frontal of Expel Ultra.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast