autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on the finer points of polishing paint

When polishing a given section of paint on a car. Let's say you're using menzerna 3500 but really any finishing polish. When you are done with your 6 passes should the polish have basically disappeared or should there be a solid amount left? Not to much or excessive but a layer that you clearly still see?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on the finer points of polishing paint

For me it differs a little bit with the polish brand, pad, paint etc. but generally I work Menzerna 3500 until it becomes a thin film on the paint, almost invisible. I want to know I have broken down the abrasives to their finest state for the finest finish. I envision my final passes as buffing with a talcum powder like particle and I lighten up my machine/pad pressure. It sometimes appears differently depending on the paint color.

With Menzerna finish polishes I get what looks like the rainbow effect, again depending on the paint color...a very thin layer of what remains as oils, carriers, spent product and a very thin amount of spent paint. I also pay attention to using the right amount of polish on the pad to begin with and switching out to clean pads frequently.

That's my favorite part!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    For me it differs a little bit with the polish brand, pad, paint etc. but generally I work Menzerna 3500 until it becomes a thin film on the paint, almost invisible. I want to know I have broken down the abrasives to their finest state for the finest finish. I envision my final passes as buffing with a talcum powder like particles and I lighten up my machine/pad pressure. It sometimes appears differently depending on the paint color.

With Menzerna finish polishes I get what looks like the rainbow effect, again depending on the paint color...a very thin layer of what remains as oils, carriers, spent product and a very thin amount of spent paint. I also pay attention to using the right amount of polish on the pad to begin with and switching out to clean pads frequently.

That's my favorite part!
    Yeah see i just figured out a new technique. After I butter the pad I'm taking a microfiber to it to get all the excess of. Then I'm applying an amount I can better control. It's working good because I feel like after buttering there ends up being way to much product on that first section.

Cleaning off the excess with a microfiber is making it a lot better on that first section. It's also pushing the product deep into the pad which I think is helping a lot

4. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There ya go! Finding a technique that works for you is the key. I've played around with so many different products to zero in on what works best for me is kinda fun to explore.

Sounds like you've found a good pad priming technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    There ya go! Finding a technique that works for you is the key. I've played around with so many different products to zero in on what works best for me is kinda fun to explore.

Sounds like you've found a good pad priming technique.
    Yeah I feel like it's making a big difference on that first section. First I spray the pad with conditioner, then I butter it with a rubber glove. Then I hold a clean folded microfiber up to it like I was cleaning it on the Fly. I take all the excess off and then I put three drops or whatever of fresh product depending on the pad size.

It's definitely better than when I was just buttering it because I always end up with too much product on the paint on that first section every time I use a new pad. What you know that can be a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why some detailers are against priming the pad. If you watch any of the Esoteric videos you'll see that Todd says no priming is done at Esoteric. He starts with 3 dots and that's it.
    Bruno Soares

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    That's why some detailers are against priming the pad. If you watch any of the Esoteric videos you'll see that Todd says no priming is done at Esoteric. He starts with 3 dots and that's it.
    What about dry buffing is that not a real issue? I like doing it my new way but I could see how if you were doing a lot of volume of cars it would waste a little product

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    What about dry buffing is that not a real issue? I like doing it my new way but I could see how if you were doing a lot of volume of cars it would waste a little product
    That's another topic that some believe is a problem, some say it's nothing to worry about. I still prime my pad but every time I do I wonder if that's what I really should be doing or not. I guess if it's microfiber pad priming is a must. Foam is where some people say it's just a waste of product. I wish I could totally agree with just one side but I see valid points from either side. I guess I'd have to have many cars done by me to try and come up with my own conclusions but because I only work on my car and my wife's car I don't have enough experience to speak about it with my own points.
    Bruno Soares

11. Thanks KS_Detailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    That's another topic that some believe is a problem, some say it's nothing to worry about. I still prime my pad but every time I do I wonder if that's what I really should be doing or not. I guess if it's microfiber pad priming is a must. Foam is where some people say it's just a waste of product. I wish I could totally agree with just one side but I see valid points from either side. I guess I'd have to have many cars done by me to try and come up with my own conclusions but because I only work on my car and my wife's car I don't have enough experience to speak about it with my own points.
    Me too I only do mine really so I don't care if I waste a little product I have to much as it is

Post Thanks / Like

I prime my pad with a spritz of n 914 and usually just three to four dots of product, depending on what I'm doing. I find it makes clean up easier but then again I tend to use water based products versus any of the more oily ones.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast