autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Ceramic Coating Problems and can I top it with a coating from AG?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Would be great to know if this truck continues to look cleaner as we head into winter. I'm guessing the coating is mostly gone where there's no beading or sheeting. I (also) dunno.
    Alas, we may never know cuz I dropped two coats of Gyeon CanCoat on it...doh!

I was quite surprised when I started going over it; why was it staying so incredibly clean compared to a non-coated car when the surface was, well...anything *but* slick? Even after the wash, decon, clay when I covered the hood with water, the water just laid there until it evaporated, explaining why there was never any water spotting (there was no longer any beading to dry into spots).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Ceramic Coating Problems and can I top it with a coating from AG?

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    In my experience, a coated vehicle, even one that no longer beads water well, is significantly easier to clean than one that is not coated.

Right now, for instance, my new car has not been coated, but my wife's car that was coated years ago is soooo much easier to clean and dry. In over 2 years, the car has not needed to be clayed and it is driven daily, sun, rain, salt, snow, etc.
    Thanks Zack - appreciate your experienced perspective.

I've tired a few coatings and in my very wet environment they all get embedded road grime at the same rate as uncoated panels, possibly faster. They do respond well to claying. Of course I'm measuring beading/sheeting, not cleaning ability. On the roof of one car with 4 coatings and 2 sealants I haven't found any are to be obviously cleaner than others. Will try to look at this more closely.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Zack - appreciate your experienced perspective.

I've tired a few coatings and in my very wet environment they all get embedded road grime at the same rate as uncoated panels, possibly faster. They do respond well to claying. Of course I'm measuring beading/sheeting, not cleaning ability. On the roof of one car with 4 coatings and 2 sealants I haven't found any are to be obviously cleaner than others. Will try to look at this more closely.
    Wow thats impressive. How did you do that by taping off? What about in between the tape lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Wow thats impressive. How did you do that by taping off? What about in between the tape lines?
    Yes, just taped off sections. The tape lines continue to be obvious, so something must still be in the areas where I applied product. The ongoing comparison starts on page 7.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Professional Ceramic Coating Problems and can I top it with a coating from AG?

I'm certainly not in the league of others here who've commented about coatings but common sense would tell you that you MUST re-apply the coating to the polished areas, I mean its been polished and with a foam pad and abrasives, right. I always use the coating and same applicator to knock down high spots first and if that doesn't do, then and only then, do I polish it out and I even go by hand first, no need for overkill with the machine because the high spots aren't anything that difficult to remove.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'm certainly not in the league of others here who've commented about coatings but common sense would tell you that you MUST re-apply the coating to the polished areas, I mean its been polished and with a foam pad and abrasives, right. I always use the coating and same applicator to knock down high spots first and if that doesn't do, then and only then, do I polish it out and I even go by hand first, no need for overkill with the machine because the high spots aren't anything that difficult to remove.
    The only reason I asked is that the coating manufacturer stated the coating would have to be compounded off to remove it. A medium grade polish and pad are much less abrasive than a compound and stiff pad would be. I figured there would have to be coating left. Don’t know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my comment wasn't directed at you per say but just an in general comment.

Sorry about that🤝

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Curious if that you came to that conclusion from researching coatings or from how the lotus effect is created in plants. Doesn't matter - just curious. The question I have is if the car stays cleaner once the beading is gone. If so, the coating still adds value. If not, it's potentially just something that is keeping another coating or sealant from performing well.

At what point does a coating become more of a nuisance as opposed to adding value?
    What is in coatings and how they cross link is from research of scholarly articles written by people that have developed this technology, but we are just a tiny sliver of the market for this technology and the research is broad based or directed at much larger markets.

The reason as to why they stop beading but still stay shiny or cleaner is strictly my hypothesis.

I really can't answer the last question as the value add is so subjective; but I think your question was intended to be rhetorical.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

At what point does a coating become more of a nuisance as opposed to adding value?
    It's an interesting question, one that I must admit to wondering about. Maybe when a shopping cart rolls into your coated cars' door and you stand there saying "Well, now what's gonna be the easiest way to get rid of that mark?"

Maybe the longest lasting coating isn't the *best* coating for a car you care about and is out in the world daily. Especially if you have a fondness for black cars.

Post Thanks / Like

My car is black and coated and I'm happy, even though I had a bout with high spots early going when the temps got cool. It's going to interesting next week as the highs are going to be in the 50's, stay "tuned".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast