autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Mohs really sucks (photo)

Quote Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Can you explain the increase in static after the coating is being wiped off? Have you experienced something similar with other coatings?

I agree with you that the temp may be the root of the problem, but it also means that Mohs is definitely not as user friendly compared to CquartzUK. With lower temp the coating should ideally flash slower, therefore making wiping easier. But it wasn't the case with me. Also with Cquartz UK, after wiping the coating off the surface feels noticeably slicker compared to Mohs, which feels like bare paint after coating. Not sure if it has anything to do with being more static.
    I stumbled across Mike's article on static electricity.

Static Electricity and Dust Attraction to your Car's Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain the increase in static after the coating is being wiped off? Have you experienced something similar with other coatings?

I agree with you that the temp may be the root of the problem, but it also means that Mohs is definitely not as user friendly compared to CquartzUK. With lower temp the coating should ideally flash slower, therefore making wiping easier. But it wasn't the case with me. Also with Cquartz UK, after wiping the coating off the surface feels noticeably slicker compared to Mohs, which feels like bare paint after coating. Not sure if it has anything to do with being more static.
    I have experienced tacky coatings many, many times. I assume this is what you are referring to, not "static".

Tackiness can be a result of several things... most commonly it is due to a coating that is still wet and not yet ready to wipe, or that has already begun to set and needed to be wiped sooner. Given your environment, I would assume it was the former rather than the latter.... but again, some testing on your part would help determine that.

For every coating we have ever applied (which was almost every vehicle I have worked on in the past 5 years), I always do a series of tests, typically on the trunk lid, to determine the optimal time for removal. This was most important when I worked in my garage at home and ambient conditions varied drastically both in terms of temperature and humidity. It was less of a concern when I moved into my shop that was climate controlled all year.

Again, I have not used Mohs, but Gyeon did just send me a Mohs kit along with several other products for testing/review, so if weather cooperates I will be applying it in the relatively near future.

Retired Professional Detailer

3. Thanks ronkh57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. It really reminds me of my college chemistry a long time ago, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I stumbled across Mike's article on static electricity.

Static Electricity and Dust Attraction to your Car's Paint

Post Thanks / Like

I had Mohs out again yesterday doing some more testing with it. High heat high humidity in the garage here in Florida, it's a super smooth coating to apply, but I lengthened out the time I let it sit on the paint before buffing and this significantly increased how tacky it was to remove. If I buff it off more quickly after applying it within that 1 minute time period, I'm getting a much easier wipedown and slicker finish compared to both CQUK and Gyeon Prime, no issues with cloudiness or getting a clean wipedown. 3'x3' application area, no static buildup (didn't notice this or linting with the longer dwell time).

I'm also not being conservative with how much I'm loading up on the applicator pad, I prepped this time with HD Polish+, previously with Gyeon Primer with the same results, Gyeon Prep wipedown after polishing. So for me, when I buff it off within that 1 minute time period, this coating becomes more user friendly compared to CQUK and Prime. What I don't know yet is if that faster buff has a negative impact on Moh's ability to cure properly.

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many layers of Mohs did you apply? It's interesting that your experience is completely opposite than mine when my environment might actually be better than yours. So perhaps Mohs likes higher temp and humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I had Mohs out again yesterday doing some more testing with it. High heat high humidity in the garage here in Florida, it's a super smooth coating to apply, but I lengthened out the time I let it sit on the paint before buffing and this significantly increased how tacky it was to remove. If I buff it off more quickly after applying it within that 1 minute time period, I'm getting a much easier wipedown and slicker finish compared to both CQUK and Gyeon Prime, no issues with cloudiness or getting a clean wipedown. 3'x3' application area, no static buildup (didn't notice this or linting with the longer dwell time).

I'm also not being conservative with how much I'm loading up on the applicator pad, I prepped this time with HD Polish+, previously with Gyeon Primer with the same results, Gyeon Prep wipedown after polishing. So for me, when I buff it off within that 1 minute time period, this coating becomes more user friendly compared to CQUK and Prime. What I don't know yet is if that faster buff has a negative impact on Moh's ability to cure properly.

Post Thanks / Like

How many layers of Mohs did you apply? It's interesting that your experience is completely opposite than mine when my environment might actually be better than yours. So perhaps Mohs likes higher temp and humidity?
    Two coats yesterday. First coat was a 1 minute dry time, really easy removal and it left a slick finish. Second coat at 4 minutes dry time, much more tackier wipedown. Second coat on another section with 30 second dry time, slightly tackier finish compared to the first coat, not anywhere near as bad as the 4 minute dry time section, easy wipedown.

Tonight after prepping the paint with HD Polish+, Essence, and Eraser - the Mohs section at three coats is less glossy compared to the Essence and Eraser side, by an average of 4 gloss units. This is taken right after applying the third coat, once Mohs cures longer I will recheck gloss readings. The paint is noticeably slicker on the non-coated side, but I will see a reduction of how tacky the paint feels the longer Mohs cures when I've been layering it. It's not as tacky feeling as CQUK and Prime even with extended dry times with additional coats.

The paint really likes that first coat with Mohs with a fresh suede. Even with a 4 minute dry time on the first coat it just melted into the paint and left a really easy wipedown. Layering is when I start running into tackiness issues and again this will be worse with longer dry times, or if the applicator pad on the first coat is too spent up with partially cured coating it can be slightly tacky to remove at this point. My problem is I don't have the color paint on this panel to be able to see any cloudiness with additional coats, it's not showing through the sun light but the glossmeter is certainly picking up a difference. More testing to come.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like with additional coats you are also noticing a change in surface gloss and possible static buildup. The panel I was working on is piano black. Meaning, it's the black of black with nothing else in it. So, it was very easy for me to see a change in gloss after layering Mohs. I have a twin LED light on a stand and 2 handheld (Scangrip Sunmatch and Astro) so any change of clarity was easily observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Two coats yesterday. First coat was a 1 minute dry time, really easy removal and it left a slick finish. Second coat at 4 minutes dry time, much more tackier wipedown. Second coat on another section with 30 second dry time, slightly tackier finish compared to the first coat, not anywhere near as bad as the 4 minute dry time section, easy wipedown.

Tonight after prepping the paint with HD Polish+, Essence, and Eraser - the Mohs section at three coats is less glossy compared to the Essence and Eraser side, by an average of 4 gloss units. This is taken right after applying the third coat, once Mohs cures longer I will recheck gloss readings. The paint is noticeably slicker on the non-coated side, but I will see a reduction of how tacky the paint feels the longer Mohs cures when I've been layering it. It's not as tacky feeling as CQUK and Prime even with extended dry times with additional coats.

The paint really likes that first coat with Mohs with a fresh suede. Even with a 4 minute dry time on the first coat it just melted into the paint and left a really easy wipedown. Layering is when I start running into tackiness issues and again this will be worse with longer dry times, or if the applicator pad on the first coat is too spent up with partially cured coating it can be slightly tacky to remove at this point. My problem is I don't have the color paint on this panel to be able to see any cloudiness with additional coats, it's not showing through the sun light but the glossmeter is certainly picking up a difference. More testing to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Like ZM stated earlier, 70-80 degrees seems to be the sweet spot for applying coatings. That said, maybe some aren't as finicky but I feel a good rule of thumb is this temp range for best results, along with staying inside and not getting wet, ofcoarse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12