autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Opti Gloss coat application issues

Polished my truck yesterday with Optimum Hyper Polish. Seemed great to work with, was able to remove some swirls (truck is white so its hard to see anything but I did remove what I could see). The polish seemed a bit....oily....after I was done, but I wiped each section down quickly with a low nap microfiber (meant to remove polish and/or wax)

Didnt get a chance to Gloss coat it yesterday, so I saved that for today. Go outside and start looking at the paint........blech! some sort of residue over the whole truck. Maybe I didnt remove the leftover polish? Im not sure.

OK, hit it with ONR wash. No go, still there. Hit it with 15% IPA mix. No go, still there! Argh.

Do a quick polish of an affected area, then an ONR and IPA wipedown. All gone! Or so I thought....

Went through every panel again. Quick polish, ONR, IPA, let dry/flash. Have an LED work light and I go over every bit of panel the best I can. Two or 3 passes with the light to be sure. Then finally I apply the Opti.

Application went smoothly once I had the process. BUT, of course after Im completely done and packing up for the night, my LED motion light pops on and reveals.....a whole bunch of residue spots that were missed. Not sure how I missed so many but apparently I did. Granted, the coating is on most of each panel, its just small areas that are missed, but I dont know where to go from here.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Gloss coat application issues

Re polish and recoat. Not spend a few hours doing paint correction but ya know, take off the residue and recoat.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

3. Thanks chris11le thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

What I did last night was go back outside with a low nap microfiber and a bit of Hyper Polish sprayed onto it. By hand I went over one of the suspect spots and was able to make the spot disappear. So Im thinking it was either a high spot or I just removed the residue myself.

Looking at the rest of the areas, I noticed a pattern...it would be where I finished going up/down or side to side....i.e a door edge, under a side view mirror, etc. So, Im thinking they were just high spots and needed to be knocked down. I will keep an eye on those areas to see if there is an indication of the coating (if they are hydrophobic or not)

The truck is white, so I guess it was hard for me to pick out the high spots after application? Im pretty confident there was no residue on the paint before application, so Im hopeful its just an issue with high spots that started to set.

Post Thanks / Like

Woke up this morning to some unexpected drizzle. Luckily the coating was dry for 12+ hours.

Pics attached of the spots in question after I polished down what I thought was high spots. There is definitely something on the paint, pretty sure its the coating (because of the beading)...considering this is a mist falling from the sky and not actual rain drops, I think the Opti Gloss is doing a pretty good job!

Opti Gloss coat application issues-img_20171015_080513-jpg

Opti Gloss coat application issues-img_20171015_080506-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Same areas where I would leave high spots when first coating. In buff off was pushing coating to adjacent panel.

7. Thanks chris11le thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Same areas where I would leave high spots when first coating. In buff off was pushing coating to adjacent panel.
    Yep, pretty sure thats what Im seeing. It was really hard to tell in the sun/overcast since the paint is white, but once it was dark and my LED security light came on the spots stuck out pretty easily. So I was out there in the dark fixing them. Probably never would have noticed in the sun, but now I know they are all set.

The one thing I wasnt sure of....the "high spots" felt a little rougher than the rest of the properly coated areas (almost like you were running your hand over an area that had paint overspray on it).

Anyone else notice that?