autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Truck - A Few Questions

Self service car washes, and very frequently. 2-4 times a month. Temperature permitting.

I bought gamma seals for my 5 gallon buckets. I fill them with warm water and bring them to the car wash and just use the car wash's pressure washer. The floor to our now closed self-service was heated that helped.

A truck is much easier to keep the frame/underbody/suspension clean due to ground clearance. I would start by spraying the underbody and spend a lot of time flushing out the salt and debris. I then sprayed the wheel wells, wheels, suspension and finally the paint.

One tip is to try and pick days where the roads are dry. Keeps the truck clean for one day at least.

Now that our self service car wash is closed. I use the touchless wash or drag the hose from the basement when the temps are in the mid to high 30's.

My 2006 Sienna has a very clean underbody for living through 11 Wisconsin winters. Zero rust under the doors or wheel wells. There is some surface rust on the frame, exhaust, and control arms/suspension.

IMHO it is just if not more important to keep the underbody clean in winter vs keeping paint clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I would recommend applying a ceramic coating to the paint surface of your new truck. As far as your leather seats go I would give them a good cleaning first and then apply a leather conditioner. Apply the leather conditioner as often as possible. Good luck with your new truck. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express and I love the truck.

I think your Ram body style is one of the best looking trucks of the last 20 years.

Blue or White would be my choice for color. I like the painted wheels, the chrome wheels aren't my style. Nice truck.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First, congrats on the new Ram. Great trucks.

And I second Fluid Film. It's a great product.

Another thing that I did on my 2012 Ram (bought new), was to apply Ospho to the undersides after they had formed a very light coat of rust. Ospho chemically changes rust into a hard, black, organic surface. After that, it's just spray it down, then Fluid film.

Nothing is perfect when dealing with winter salt, salt air, etc. But this has been the best combo of products to at least stave it off that I have found.

Good luck with your beautiful new truck.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. All great info and help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I would recommend applying a ceramic coating to the paint surface of your new truck. As far as your leather seats go I would give them a good cleaning first and then apply a leather conditioner. Apply the leather conditioner as often as possible. Good luck with your new truck. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express and I love the truck.

Beautiful truck. I went with white as well. I was unsure at first but grew on me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by '03 Ram 5.9 View Post
    Beautiful truck. I went with white as well. I was unsure at first but grew on me
    Picked up a 2017 Big Horn in Bright White just two weeks ago. For some reason I think these trucks look spectacular in white. At least easier to take care of than my Malbec Black G37!

New Truck - A Few Questions-2017_1500_bighorn-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I found this in an old thread which is similar to the home made one I saw on here. He may have patented it and started marketing.

http://www.theunderwasher.com/welcome.html#buy-online
    Thanks. Looks simple enough to make myself.
    I too will be moving to Texas soon. Spring of next year. east Tx to Longview

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12