autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 444454647484950515253545556575859 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Do you mean the list of long-lasting sealants? Absolutely going to them over the winter. If I'm smart I'll start applying soon. By buff-time I assume you mean time to cure before buffing? I use the finger test and let them cure until they're dry. Most of these will take at least 20 mins. I've waited 40. The warmer it is out the faster they will cure, of course.

I don't recall doing double coats. I could try that - doesn't take much effort. I'd want to wait a day between them with good weather and temps over 70 degrees just to be sure. I generally like to apply per the instructions. I want people to see results they would likely get.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    ... I want to get some long term products applied before it gets too cold for them to cure well. Planning to apply:

DG 111

Are you going to use 111 alone or with the 601 bonding agent ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    By buff-time I assume you mean time to cure before buffing? I use the finger test and let them cure until they're dry. Most of these will take at least 20 mins. I've waited 40. The warmer it is out the faster they will cure, of course.

I don't recall doing double coats. I could try that - doesn't take much effort.
    I asked about the cure time because some of these products don't tell you how long and recommendations on forums vary quite a bit. Also because I've got a lot of dust and pollen so letting cure for +5 minutes will mean covering up and waiting for one section at a time. Guess that's what I'll be doing, and using the finger swipe test to check curing.

My hood will get sections of FK 1000P, Collinite 476S, Collinite 915, DG 104, DG 111, and Sonax PNS. I'll also apply most of those to other whole panels so I've got them on both horizontal and vertical surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Are you going to use 111 alone or with the 601 bonding agent ?
    Thought I had replied this. Not planning to use 601. Will go with a level playing field. Can't say what it does with 111, but with the other products I tested with it does not add durability. It lowered durability for some non-DG products and didn't hurt with DG 104, but also did not extend it.

6. Thanks 57Rambler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Washed the Rover and Sentra with CarPro Reset and a Big Red Sponge. Washed the Boxster with N-914 at rinseless concentration with MF towels.

Showstopper, Sonus Glanz, Rupes P808, and ONR are all done.

Rover (video)
    • MS #6 - 4 seconds
    • Red Mist - 2 seconds
    • Showstopper - 11 seconds (calling it done)
    • DP Spray Sealant - 6 seconds
    • Hydro Max - 3 seconds
    • Sonus Glanz - 10 seconds (calling it done)
    • Rupes P808 - 11 seconds (calling it done)
    • Mothers Speed Wax - 8 seconds (almost done)
    • MS #1 - 2 seconds

Sentra (video)
    • CarPro EliXir (QD) - 3 seconds
    • Scholl Concepts Barracuda - 4 seconds
    • DG 931 as a QD - 3 seconds
    • Ultima Waterless - 2 seconds
    • ONR - 10 seconds (calling it done)
    • Mystery #7 - 6 seconds
    • Uber - 6 seconds

Boxster (video)
    • Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic - 5 seconds
    • McKee's Hydro Blue - 3 seconds
    • Sonax Spray and Seal - 1 second

8. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm impressed again by DG 931 and also by Sonax S+S and Dodo Red Mist. It'll be interesting to see how 931 and Red Mist hold up when the rain comes.

I would expect S+S will do well in the wet season but I'd love to see it up against BSD. From what I've seen in reviews, they are pretty comparable in durability and hydrophobics but quite opposite otherwise, with S+S scoring very well with ease of application, slickness, and gloss. I will be testing BSD but still not sure what wet-applied product(s) to test...possibly S+S, Wet Coat, or 303 Touchless.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. DG 931 is kind of hard to believe. In order to eliminate any bias I tend to call it early rather than late. If you look at the last Boxster video you can see that it's still working. Sonas S&S is awesome so far. I like all the spray-on-hose-off products. None of them are as hydrophobic as Sonax. 14 weeks in and water is still flying off. I need to test it on a non-garaged vehicle and see how it does. Agree on Red Mist - need to see how it does over Winter. I'd never tried any Dodo products before I started these tests. So far they're all very good.

I somehow forgot to test 303 Touchless when I did the other wet-applied products on the Boxster. My bad. Will likely have to wait until next Summer for me to get to it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well then I'll have to add Sonax S+S to my testing. I'm going to leave the rocker panels bare for toppers only. Will probably start with what I have--BSD, IGL Premier, Kamikaze Over Coat--and then S+S can take on the winner. Or maybe I'll put it against another SOSO product if I can convince myself to buy yet another product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive used Jet Seal then found out from my customers and my experience, never held up. a month but no more than two months of protection. Wolfgangs looked better and lasted at least a year and that is from a daily driver who doesn't take care of his car.

Post Thanks / Like

Not doing any testing this weekend. Terrible air quality due to fires here and I'd rather not be outside that much. I did get a couple of winter products added to the Rover. I did the polishing last weekend so all I had to do was apply the waxes. They both cured for ~30 mins @ 78 degrees before I removed them.

Here's a video of the Rover door sheeting after I polished it. It got a fine polish with a white pad and 3 passes and followed by DG Squeaky Clean on a black pad then washed twice with CarPro Reset.

DG 104 and Collinite 845 were applied. I left a big area between them. I may add something else later or may just leave it. It's easier to see when these are no longer performing when there's an area with no product adjacent.

Collinite 845 is a pleasure to use. Provided you warm it up it goes on incredibly easily and comes off easily if you apply it light. I try to apply the thinnest possible layer. DG 104 is fine to apply. It takes little more effort to remove. I may have over applied it.

Sealant comparison-ymszk2x-jpg

14. Likes PaulMys, Vegas1 liked this post
Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 444454647484950515253545556575859 LastLast