autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 32 of 59 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Polished the Sentra hood with McKee's prep polish and white pad. Unnecessary but used Gyeon prep as well. Gave it an hour or so and added 9 products, several of which are repeats. Left an open area with no sealant running down the hood.

• HD Speed
    • Reload - seems like this failed too soon last time
    • Optimum spray wax
    • Aquawax
    • Mothers Cali Gold Spray Wax
    • Mothers Speed Spray Wax
    • DG Rinseless as a QD - seems like this lasted far longer than it should have last time
    • DG 521 Detail Spray - just because it was on the shelf
    • DG 921 FC&S Detail Spray + Aquawax (75%:25%)

I applied these yesterday morning. They've had two full days of sun to cure. They're all working so well I can't even keep water on them. No obvious tape line between Aquawax and HD Speed. No idea why.

Did a mid week check on the Rover hood as well. Things are slowing down. Griot's Finishing is doing nothing. I was overly generous with it last time. I'll be going to the first date I called it done. BF Carnuba slowing down enough that I'll call it done. SFX-4 still ahead of everything else. We're now to the following on teh Rover hood:

• SFX-4
    • 303 Spray Wax
    • Dodo Acrylic
    • Four Star
    • McKee's Fast Wax

Having issues uploading a current chart. You can see it in the spreadsheet here.

Spreadsheet update (skip this unless you're into spreadsheets):
    Redid some of the logic. Was much to hard to manage the "still going" products with the others. If there's an end date how does the logic know it's still going. If there's no end date I don't get the cool looking underlying dot on the graph. So I need both. The answer and lazy way around many spreadsheet issues: helper columns. Added a few. This allowed me to greatly clean up the pivot as well. This thing isn't done, but it's now better. There are few notes in there to help explain what's going on.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

2. Likes SWETM, DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Sealant comparison

In for results.

If you have not already done so can you also test Geyon CanCoat.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious. I have read through many, but not all of the 32 pages (so far) of this rather lengthy review. Why aren't the product manufacturers commenting more on the results of their product performance??? Some results seemed quite disappointing when compared to product claims.

The original Poster, RippyD I assume has spent considerable time effort and money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    If you have not already done so can you also test Geyon CanCoat. Thanks
    The lowest cost option I see for Can Coat is $50. Unless I can trade for a sample that makes it unlikely for me to test.

6. Likes bryanviper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were close to me I could give you some lol.

I may do half my mothers hood with cancoat & half with Collinte 845 and see how it lasts through the winter, if I remember to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    The lowest cost option I see for Can Coat is $50. Unless I can trade for a sample that makes it unlikely for me to test.

Post Thanks / Like

Been longer than I wanted to update. Been struggling with the Sentra hood. Everything was sheeting great, including the untreated area. So that wasn't good. Then a week later nothing was sheeting. Washed with Reset and everything was sheeting. I then polished a narrow strip across the hood - still no difference. Maybe reset removed most of them? Maybe they all failed already? Right now I'm just guessing. Hate to do it, but I'm going to start over with fewer products and see how it goes.

Sentra roof is doing about the same. Products are slowing down, but the same 6 are working as last time. I have a video that's terrible I can link to if anybody wants to see it. Will try to get a new one tonight or tomorrow.

Rover hood is doing about the same as last time. SFX-4 still performing the best and clearing in ~25 seconds.

Spreadsheet is up to date, but products on the Sentra hood will get another re-start. I did a few more application measurements that graph has additional info as well. Just linking to the spreadsheet this time rater than posting snapshots.

9. Likes cullen2505 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I would skip Cancoat as it falls into the coating arena. Stick to sealants unless you want to take your best performing sealant and match it up with the lowest performing coatings, which is not a bad idea. Fk1000p vs Cancoat?

11. Likes dwaleke, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe some is on it's way to me. I kind-of crossed that line already. I initially started doing coating tests and quickly realized $200 wouldn't get me very far. And I agree I'd have to stick to entry level coatings from a comparison and cost perspective.

If I recall I did 4-5 coatings, at least 2 of which are misnamed sealants. If there are smaller sizes of some coatings I may give that a try. Seems like a next year thing - I'm running out of runway to get a coating applied. Although the Boxster is available, and it needs to polished anyway... thinking.

(And thank you CarPro for selling sample sizes. Can we please get a 10ml size of Dlux?)

Post Thanks / Like

Polished the hood then wiped with N-914 at 8:1 three times, then did 15% alcohol solution. Polished with HD Adapt and a LC white pad - there's no way the old stuff isn't gone. (Adapt is just a pain to remove - I have tried everything people suggest. And I have a most of a large bottle left. It may need to find a new home.)

I taped off a horizontal and vertical sections of the hood to compare with no product. Also covered those areas with towels to ensure no overspray.

Added back to the hood:
    • Mothers Speed Spray Wax
    • Mothers Gold Spray Wax
    • Reload
    • Aquawax (just realized this is 2 years old - not sure if that's an issue)
    • DG 931 Rinseless as a QD
    • HD Speed

They were applied thusly:

It got about 3 hours of sun today and should bake all day tomorrow. Car is going in for service, possible I won't have it for a few days. (Didn't do my homework. Nissans apparently having major issues with their CVT transmissions.)

14. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome you're keeping this going. Could you do a weird test for me? Could you put a couple drops of oil on some of them to see if they're oleophobic? Truth is that's really what I want in a sealant. Obviously not asking to see if it sheets oil just to see if the drop kinda beads or lays flat immediately and sticks...

Page 32 of 59 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast