autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

Thanks for all the info n hard work. Very useful!

2. Thanks BillyJack thanked for this post
    Likes BillyJack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Long post. A lot going on.

Got products applied to the rest of the new Sentra, including 4 I've already tested. Trying to do some summer vs. winter testing, as well as validating previous results (or not). New products applied to white Sentra:

• BF Crystal Seal*
    • Rupes 808*
    • DG Aquawax*
    • Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0*
    • Megs Quik Wax
    • Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer
    • Ultima Acrylic Spray Wax
    • McKee's 10 Minute Paint Sealant
    • HD Speed
    • Mothers Gold Spray Wax
    • Mothers Speed Spray Wax

Just so we know what is where, they are applied like this (not to scale):

The roof had been previously clayed. I washed and clayed the top of the trunk. I polished the middle section of the trunk with HD Polish, The driver side with HD Speed, and the the passenger side section didn't get polished. (Checking the claim that sealants last longer on polished surfaces.)

Ignore the Sonax Spray + Seal shown below. I applied BF Crystal Seal in that spot (front most driver's side). I should have applied it to the Sentra hood - the intent was to test the three touchless sealant side-by-side, but I forgot about Spray + Seal. I did something else with it (see below).

Not happy with myself about not getting all three touchless sealants side-by-side. This morning I quickly applied them to the wife's boxster. I polished the hood with McKee's coating prep polish and a black pad. Then taped off the hood with a section for no product. I used a pressure washer to remove them. Left to right the are Sonax Spray + Seal, McKee's Hydro Blue, and Carpro Hydro2.

I now have a confusing set of products going. Some started in summer, so in winter, some testing more than once, and now some on a garaged car. I'm trying to show all those variables in my chart below. If this doesn't work I'll take another run at it.

Should get some testing done on the Rover hood later today.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

4. Thanks oneheadlite, cullen2505, SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes Cruzscarwash, cullen2505, PaulMys, SWETM, GEM65 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job documenting all your hard work. Looking forward to the results.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of crazy seeing those more durable products all having been done in the winter.

Wonder how long you’d get out of them in the summer. 845 so far has been really really great for me. I’d be happy with 20ish weeks out of it between applications given how nice it is to use.

Doesn’t hurt that it’s fun to watch it near water either Sealant comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

WGDGPS only got a week? (Looking at the chart).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

WGDGPS got 6 weeks in the first test. If you look in the WGDGPS column you'll see another dot at a little under 10 weeks. For products with multiple tests you'll see multiple scores. The score that looks like one week is because I just applied it so it's currently at the bottom. The marks with a triangle in the middle are in progress. You'll see them continue to move up over time until I mark them done.

Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

I washed the Rover hood with Reset a few days ago. Of course rinsed and dried it. I didn't test the water action until today. I was trying to keep one eye on a 6 yo playing outside and wasn't prepared to deal with things being so different. I need some focused, uninterrupted time to figure out what's going on. Most things seem to be moving water much faster than last time. Not sure yet if the untreated areas are clearing faster as well - if so I need to re-calibrate what my times.

Suffice it to say that using Reset resulted in significant changes.

Sharing the animation. Not sure what to make of it yet. (Stupid white hood makes it very hard to see.) Will have to study it and do more testing when the wife is home to watch the kid. (Mine are all in HS. We got a foster kid back recently.)

I checked the white Sentra hood today as well. As expected water is flying off all three sections. There isn't even time to measure it - I'd say everything is clearing in 3-4 seconds. However the area with no sealant is sheeting as well. Perhaps overspray, or maybe left over polishing oils? Will give it a few days and see what happens.

10. Likes SWETM, DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did some washing and testing over the last few days. Note many pics as the white cars are hard to get.

Rover hood: Things are still working better since I used Reset. It absolutely did something to help these sealants work better. SFX4 is still way ahead of the others in terms of clearing quickly and completely. Note that I put Griot's Finishing Sealant and Nano Shock back on the performing list since they're now clearing water again.

Under 30 seconds to clear
    SFX4: 10-15 seconds
    BF Carnuba: ~30 seconds
    McKee's Fast: ~30 seconds

Over 30 seconds
    Mystery sealant: ~35 seconds
    303: ~45 seconds
    Dodo: ~45 seconds
    Four Star: ~45 seconds
    NO PRODUCT is 45 seconds
    Griots Finshing: 45 secs
    3M Spray wax: ~45 seconds
    Nanoshock: ~45 seconds

SFX-4 clearing ahead of everything else.

Note that the areas with no product are no clearing in just over a minute. So any products taking a minute or longer are probably not working.

White Sentra: Products are all new and generally working pretty well. On the hood the Hydro2 may be clearing a little more slowly than the others. They're all so fast I'm not sure it's relevant. It's hard to keep water on the hood to measure how fast it's coming off.

The Sentra roof is also doing well and water is flying off. I'm disappointed to report that Rupes 808 seems noticeably slower than everything else. It's working, but when I flood the hood with water it is the area that is consistently the slowest. I applied it by priming the MF towel this time, and gave it a 2nd application. If somebody else wants to compare it to another product and post their results that would be great. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Sentra hood getting wet and a few seconds later.

The Sentra trunk is also doing well and is hard to see any difference. Mother's Speed wax may be a little slower than the others. Hard to tell.

Boxster hood: Everything clearing in ~10 secs.
    Boxster animation

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated chart. My spreadsheet to manage this is not working well. I started it thinking there would be 20 or so rows. I now have multiple tests per product and I need to revisit it. Once I get it cleaned up I'll share it so you guys can see the data.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    WGDGPS got 6 weeks in the first test. If you look in the WGDGPS column you'll see another dot at a little under 10 weeks. For products with multiple tests you'll see multiple scores. The score that looks like one week is because I just applied it so it's currently at the bottom. The marks with a triangle in the middle are in progress. You'll see them continue to move up over time until I mark them done.

Make sense?
    Yes. That one's on me for not reading the chart properly.

Love this thread too, Rip.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast