autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant comparison

I would have to say that from what I've seen, it might be the way PNS's polymers are linked together where the chemical bond is strong enough that bonded contaminants don't destroy the bond but sit on top of it until you clay it. A lot of other LSPs, the bonded contaminants break the bonds in between the chemicals in the LSP. That's why PNS is such an effective water beader as well, because the water sits ontop of the polymers linked on the paint and so it sheets it away easily. To be honest I'm not surprised by the results. The ones that have lasted are the ones that are usually recommended. The ones that haven't lasted are the AIOs, the ones used more commonly as a drying aid or topper after a wash.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of updates in this post. Hoping to get another one done later today or tomorrow.

From Feb 15th
    Colder out and MS3 working more slowly.

This looks like McKee's 360 is still working. Could be, but it's much slower than MS2, MS3, and Future Armour. I got distracted and couldn't get a pic for a couple of minutes.

Could not get a usable pic of Sonax PNS due to light issues.

From Feb 24th
    Sentra hood immediately after flooding with water and then 15-20 seconds later.

Rover hood before washing. Note that DG 105 is shedding water well. It doesn't do this after I wash it. WG DGS does this a little as well, but not to the same extent. No idea why they seem to repel water better with some dirt than when clean.

Same 5 are still working on the Rover hood. Hard to see in this light. Interestingly, FK 1000 is slowing down and DG Track Claw was working faster. I have no idea why.

Sonax PNS still working but slowing down.

Duration graph for sealants: (EDIT: fixed. had the wrong graph previously.)
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

3. Likes RDZL1, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man PNS for ease to apply is really doing well compared to the "classics"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thought. I'm guessing the others will outlast it a fair amount, but it's so easy to apply I think it's a fair tradeoff.

Did the wife's Boxster with PNS yesterday. Took maybe 20 mins. Would have been less had I not all the small fiddly areas too (door handles, mirrors, around the intake vents, etc.). I used a CarPro suede MF and block. Worked great and helps to apply it evenly and thin. Smaller area is better. I always do too large an area and this stuff starts to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I had the same thought. I'm guessing the others will outlast it a fair amount, but it's so easy to apply I think it's a fair tradeoff.

Did the wife's Boxster with PNS yesterday. Took maybe 20 mins. Would have been less had I not all the small fiddly areas too (door handles, mirrors, around the intake vents, etc.). I used a CarPro suede MF and block. Worked great and helps to apply it evenly and thin. Smaller area is better. I always do too large an area and this stuff starts to dry.
    Same here I tend to make the area to large. I'm getting good feed back from customers with fk1000p but the dry time is so long

Post Thanks / Like

Update from today.

Sentra after 30 seconds or so:

Two minutes later:

Two more mins minutes:

Three minutes later:

These look effectively done to me. They're moving water better than the sealants on the right, but not significantly. (Cruz, any thoughts on these?)

Was very tough to get pictures on the Rover hood in this light. Summary the 4 are still working, but Track Claw and DG 111 are now outperforming everything else. Sonax PNS is not clearing the entire area any longer. FK 1000 and 845 are still working and clearing their sections, but about 1 minute behind Track Claw and DG 111. The big difference today is that it's ~69 degrees out - far warmer than it's been in months.

This is 30 seconds or so after flooding the hood. You can (kind of) see that Track Claw and DG 111 are clear, FK 1000 and 845 are still clearing. Could not get a good picture of PNS, but it was about 50% cleared at this point.

Updated graph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Update from today.

Sentra after 30 seconds or so:

Two minutes later:

Two more mins minutes:

Three minutes later:

These look effectively done to me. They're moving water better than the sealants on the right, but not significantly. (Cruz, any thoughts on these?)

Was very tough to get pictures on the Rover hood in this light. Summary the 4 are still working, but Track Claw and DG 111 are now outperforming everything else. Sonax PNS is not clearing the entire area any longer. FK 1000 and 845 are still working and clearing their sections, but about 1 minute behind Track Claw and DG 111. The big difference today is that it's ~69 degrees out - far warmer than it's been in months.

This is 30 seconds or so after flooding the hood. You can (kind of) see that Track Claw and DG 111 are clear, FK 1000 and 845 are still clearing. Could not get a good picture of PNS, but it was about 50% cleared at this point.

Updated graph
    Dg 111 is shocking considering it does more then just protect the paint and for it being so watery. It's also on the more expensive side compared to fk1000p. I've not tried track claw but it's sparking some interest.

Mystery sealant 1 I think did fairly well for being a spray and wipe sealant. Number 2 on the other hand I expected to last longer considering how much it cost...lol

Post Thanks / Like

You should have some Track Claw if you want to try it. Of course you'd have to find the package or bottle. Mystery Sealant was very expensive as well and didn't last at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Dg 111 is shocking considering it does more then just protect the paint and for it being so watery. It's also on the more expensive side compared to fk1000p. I've not tried track claw but it's sparking some interest.

Mystery sealant 1 I think did fairly well for being a spray and wipe sealant. Number 2 on the other hand I expected to last longer considering how much it cost...lol

Isn’t 111 just a “pure” sealant? The 105 having other properties.

I like these tests. Makes me feel like I’m not the only one that sees such sort longevity on stuff people claim to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I believe 111 is just a sealant and not a cleaner like 105. Cruz, can you clarify if we're wrong?

Matt, thanks and me too. I start doing this because of all the wild claims I was seeing on coatings and sealants with no evidence for anything.

Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast