autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[Beginner] Looking for entry DA polisher to fix paint chip

Since my birthday is coming up, I would like to invest in an entry DA polisher for applying sealant and wax to my '17 WRX as well as fixing the paint chip that I have been trying to repair. I watched AutoGeek's YouTube video about selecting a DA polisher and saw that there were some that use small pads for very fine detail work and large pads to cover large areas. Can anyone suggest a good inbetween as an entry level tool?

For reference on the repair that I have worked on, you can find pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/UuSzt

As a quick background, the spot started to rust. I purchased a Subaru paint correction pen, used the ceramic nub to remove the rust, filled in the hole with paint, and wet sanded with 2500 grit sandpaper. It seems that I may need to fill the hole in a little more before applying the clear coat, but the end goal would be to polish and buff out the area to a finish similar to the rest of the car. Any other comments or suggestions on the matter are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Beginner] Looking for entry DA polisher to fix paint chip

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welp... That was easy. Thank you for the suggestion! It seems this one is the most versatile and won't require me to purchase multiple DA polishers for different applications. I will just add a 3" backing plate and the appropriate pads for easy swap out.

[EDIT]

Should I consider a dual action random orbital versus a random orbital... if those two things are even different?
    Last edited by xM1NtYxFr3Shx; 10-07-2017 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Additional question

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xM1NtYxFr3Shx View Post
    Should I consider a dual action random orbital versus a random orbital... if those two things are even different?
    same thing/terminology..

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

in addition to the GG6 ^, these are the backing plates to get as well
    as pads if you would like to stick to the same brand...

Griot's Garage 3 Inch HD Backing Plate

Griot's Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Griots Garage 3 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

Griots Garage 5.5 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would the fitting be incorrect if I use a 5.5" pad on the 6" backing plate? Or should I always shoot to have at least equal to the size of the backing plate when selecting a pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xM1NtYxFr3Shx View Post
    Would the fitting be incorrect if I use a 5.5" pad on the 6" backing plate? Or should I always shoot to have at least equal to the size of the backing plate when selecting a pad?
    the GG6 comes stock with a 6" backing plate in which you can use 6.5" pads (6 inches of velcro). so using 5.5" pads (5 inches of velcro) with the 6"backing plate would be too small. while the GG6 has lots of torque and can spin 6.5" pads, using 5.5" pads would help maximize pad rotation. you can always use 6.5" pads on large flat panels if you like. most PC-style DA's have a problem with rotating larger pads but as mentioned the GG6 can spin them. honestly, since i got my GG6 many years ago the first thing i did was take off the backing plate and put a 5" on and haven't looked back. if i were to do it all over again i would get all those items above and the only thing you can experiment with is different pads...