autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best type of polisher for getting high gloss?

All else being equal (pads, compounds, technique adjusted to machine) is there a certain type of polisher action that gives better results for getting that 'concours finish' we're all looking for when final polishing?

I assume a long-throw machine won't do anything better, but maybe save some time. Would a forced rotation unit offer more consistent control or have any advantage over a standard DA? And is the paint hardness a factor? (For instance, mine is an 11 on a 1-10 scale.)

I have a GG6 that gives me good correcting ability, but so far I haven't gotten the gloss that I want. Would a Flex or Makita help or do I just need to experiment more with pads/polishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best type of polisher for getting high gloss?

An old saying I will always remember, Brett, "there's no such thing as a professional camera, there is such thing as a professional photographer".

In my opinion, there are detailer's out there that could work magic with a Harbor Freight machine and some less than stellar pad quality. It's the person wielding the equipment (and the experienced brain controlling it) that gets superior results.

My vote is to experiment with product and technique. I am still doing that. As an example, I think IIRC, it was Mike at Dedicated Perfection that brought up a point of working compounds at a slower machine speed than I was currently practicing. I tried it and BAM!

Again, Brett, just my opinion and great question but in my experience I try to exhaust every possible nuance of working what I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul a. View Post
    an old saying i will always remember, brett, "there's no such thing as a professional camera, there is such thing as a professional photographer".

In my opinion, there are detailer's out there that could work magic with a harbor freight machine and some less than stellar pad quality. It's the person wielding the equipment (and the experienced brain controlling it) that gets superior results.

My vote is to experiment with product and technique. I am still doing that. As an example, i think iirc, it was mike at dedicated perfection that brought up a point of working compounds at a slower machine speed than i was currently practicing. I tried it and bam!

Again, brett, just my opinion and great question but in my experience i try to exhaust every possible nuance of working what i have.
    ^^^^^this^^^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO. You can take an idiot with a rupes or flex or a highly skilled person with a porter cable. Its really about looking what damage you need to fix and using a mix of everything to get good results
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Just to revisit your original question, Brett, which machine "action" gets the best final finish for clarity, gloss etc. In very rare occasions I'll jewel paint with my rotary, sometimes my Flex 3401 and finally, sometimes with my Porter Cable. It varies by paint and workability. Now, is there one of those 3 that, with the right final polish, can refine Audi paint better than what you're currently getting? My guess (and again my OPINION) is that there is a product, pad, machine speed, arm movement and pressure that, used with your GG unit, yields the best you're ever gonna get. The fun part for me is trying to find it.

As I mentioned above, I've used and will continue to use all 3 machine actions depending on the job at hand. One I specifically remember is an Audi A4 some years ago that I jewelled with my rotary. I know what you mean by an 11 on the scale! To me, if it's that hard to cut and level it is equally hard to final polish. When you wipe off after that effort and see a clear, perfectly reflected inspection light you got it.

I'll also add that if the GG corrects adequately it can work your paint satisfactorily for final buff out.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO any DA can give you that look with the right technique. Product would be another. I can get the same results with my PC7424XP and my Flex 3401. I use 3M Ultrafine 3000 for my jeweling polish for my 3401 and if I have to polish Menzerna SF4500 with my PC. I also agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My guess you should be fine with what you are doing.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the logic I've always gone by. Perhaps I'm just losing a little patience in my advanced years. But I was thinking of upgrading to forced rotation with the argument that at the low speeds used for jeweling, it can be difficult to maintain pad rotation, particularly on very hard paint where some pressure is required, and especially on curved sections. The forced rotation wouldn't necessarily give better results, but might make it easier.

And there's always the fact that I'm a gear junkie always looking for a reason to buy a new toy. If I knew it wouldn't make any difference in my results or time invested, I wouldn't bother. But chasing that glow, especially on a 12 year old car that normal people would shrug and say 'that's as good as it gets' when you know otherwise. Well, that's why we're all here, I guess.

Maybe I'll keep my eye open for a bargain on a used 3401. But I think the Makita would suit me more.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Pads and polishing compounds are more likely to get the desired gloss results more so than what polisher is powering them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Pads and polishing compounds are more likely to get the desired gloss results more so than what polisher is powering them.
    My thoughts too. There are certain combinations that are perfect on certain types of paint. The fun is in figuring out that combination.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Brett, there were some great points made in your most recent post and I completely understand what you are saying. In my example of using my rotary on the last Audi I did (silver A4) I cited that because of my need and desire to use a direct drive action for what I found to be very hard paint. I can understand the thinking of forced rotation as maybe easier and faster. That's a valid point and it worked for me, especially on hard Audi paint!

I wish you were near me because I would love to loan out my Flex 3401 for you to try. I haven't tried the new Makita 5000 but am intrigued by the idea of mixing machine actions on one machine...well, not really machine "actions" but rather mixing direct drive with free spinning.

Maybe someone is near you that might be willing to extend that offer. I would love to hear what your impression and results are.

Your objective is based on the shared passion we pursue here. Geting that ultimate "glow" is the single most satisfying thing to me. I would love to hear you found it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast