autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Retail Products

Post Thanks / Like

Retail Products

I started my passion for shiny cars when I was a kid/teenager in the 70's. Back then our only choices for products came from hardware stores or auto parts stores. We started with DuPont no. 7 car wash powder with a sponge and bucket. Then we used DuPont rubbing or polishing compound followed by Turtle Wax polish. Then we finished up with Simonize or Kit presoftened wax. Glass was cleaned with Windex or water and newspaper. Interiors were cleaned with Armorall cleaner and finished with Armor all. Today we shudder at the thought of using those products on our current vehicles.
    In your opinion, are there any retail-available products today that are worth using? I still like Meguairs Gold Class car wash, Invisible Glass and Barrett Jackson Tire Shine. I also like cheap microfiber towels for cleaning engine compartments, wheels and grubby interiors.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Retail Products

I'm an old timer too & as you said yesterday's products are but a shadow of what we use today. Not sure about what you mean by retail-available but if you're talking about going into Walmart or PepBoys there are lots of good things there: Megs, Mothers, Collinite, Leather Master and others that may be gathering dust because the average guy who isn't as deeply into detailing as we are doesn't know what these products are for and how good they are. Clay, quick detailer, sealant...Huh? Often the sales guys don't know much about them either. So yeah, there are handfuls of excellent products available at retail stores and many many more online.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars ultimate line is sold OTC. Select Griots is sold otc at least here. Mothers makes a few otc products that are good. I have meguiars gold class and some other otc products because i don't need gallons yet and can't justify them for only the few vehicles I do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

•Throughout the years...here are
    just a few of the product lines that
    I have purchased OTC (retail):

-303; Stoner’s; Duragloss; Meguiar’s;
    Mother’s; 3M; Collinite; S100; Lexol;
    Sprayway; Flitz; Porter Cable; etc.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Products have came a long way. No doubt. Now you can work smarter not harder. Megs and Mothers still have fine OTC products. I recall old no.7 car wash powder. That stuff was the bomb! Foamed up like mad in the bucket.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Ultimate Compound/Polish/Liquid wax are all good products and all available OTC. Pep Boys, Autozone and Advance Auto Parts are selling select Griots products. Pep Boys routinely runs 25% off sales if you order via the web and pick up in the store....you can choose a 'pay at pickup' option so no credit card info is necessary when placing the order.

Post Thanks / Like

I must live in a detailing wasteland. Most of the products you all mentioned are not available OTC in my area. Around here, the products are all the same no matter what store you go into. The only variance is the price. Most carry Meguiars and Mothers and then the Armor All, Turtle Wax, we've always seen. Griots is available at Advanced Auto, but they only carry the Wheel Cleaner, Speed Shine, and maybe one other product.

Back on topic... Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish, Ultimate Quick Wax, Quick Detailer (maroon bottle), Natural Shine Interior Protectant, and clay bar kits have always served me well. I used the Gold Class Shampoo for decades, but now find things I like much better. Mother's Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner is OTC and works well, but I've now moved on to something more gentle.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I must live in a detailing wasteland. Most of the products you all mentioned are not available OTC in my area.
    You must be in a different part of STL metro than I am (I'm in South County). AutoZone, Advance and O'Reilly have a decent selection of products. Keep in mind the retailers set stores by "clusters", based on the socioeconomics of the area, so there will be different assortments in different stores, regardless the brand. Advance also has a short wall (2,500 stores) and tall wall (1,500 stores) difference, so, for example, finding a tall wall store in a nicer area assures you of the best assortment of the most products. The Advance store by me has 18 different Griot's products, counting the buffing pads. The only chain we really lack is Pep Boys - the nearest one is in Springfield, MO; 200 miles away, or Indianapolis headed the other direction.

And, of course, there's aways the internet. AutoGeek (and others) can have you products in 2 days time - any product, not just the ones in stores. And, you can save on sales tax.......

As long as you plan your weekend by Tuesday, you'll always have products in time for the weekend.

We may not have a football team, but we have plenty of opportunities to spend money on car care here.

Post Thanks / Like

I live on the Illinois side and even though I'm only about 15~20 miles from you, the Mississippi and East St. Louis might as well be the Great Wall of China for most retailers/distributors. The median income varies widely between neighborhoods and developments, so I have a feeling they simply cater to the lowest common denominator. Around here even the nicer daily drivers are neglected, but there are some fantastic classic cars hiding away in garages all over the region. I'm sure the detailing products simply don't sell, so the stores don't bother carrying much.

The few people who do care about their vehicles are probably like myself and gave up on retail stores long ago and shop almost exclusively on line.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I live on the Illinois side and even though I'm only about 15~20 miles from you, the Mississippi and East St. Louis might as well be the Great Wall of China for most retailers/distributors. The median income varies widely between neighborhoods and developments, so I have a feeling they simply cater to the lowest common denominator. Around here even the nicer daily drivers are neglected, but there are some fantastic classic cars hiding away in garages all over the region. I'm sure the detailing products simply don't sell, so the stores don't bother carrying much.

The few people who do care about their vehicles are probably like myself and gave up on retail stores long ago and shop almost exclusively on line.
    ive been thinking of doing some OTC test and buying a $20 polisher and a Griots pad then match them up with maybe ultimate cut/polish and see what I get from it.