autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New here... reading done... advise needed

Hi all - new to the forum. About 5 months ago I picked up a 2017 VW GTi in black pearl. The dealer did whatever they did when they prepped the car and I've washed it maybe twice since using Gold Class.

I don't see any major flaws but do see some minor water marks and swirls. I have been doing some reading and think i have a good plan for the exterior. Would like feedback and recommendations.

"Tools":
    • HF Dual Action Polisher (already have)
    • Microfiber towels (will be ordering)
    • Sheepskin wash mitts (will be ordering)
    • B&S 6" Pads - Yellow, Green, Blue, Black (will be ordering)

Product / Order of use:
    • Gold Class wash (already have, worth going with another product?)
    • Griots Clay w/ ONR (already have, worth going with another product?)
    • Menzerna SP3500 (w/ yellow or green pad)
    • IPA? Do i need this step? Read Menzerna polishes are oily.
    • Poor Boys Black Hole (w/ blue or black pad)
    • Collinite 845 (w/ black pad)
    • DG #972 as topper and quick detailer between washes

For wheels, I usually just clean with a towel and/or soft brush and top tires with a tire shine product. I plan on using the 845 on the wheels go forward though.
    For glass, I use Stoners and, if needed, have used a "0000" steel wool for windshield wiper lines and mater marks.
    For interior, I usually use a very diluted apc followed by Poor Boys Natural Look on all plastics and leather.

Still very much a newbie to this stuff but tried to do my research before posting. Have never done more than a wash, clay and liquid glass application. Feedback on "tools", products, order of use, etc are all welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    -RJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New here... reading done... advise needed

I also have a 2017 GTI and the paint is quite hard. I think with SP3500 and a yellow/green pad you won't do much correction. You might need a 2500 with more aggressive pad. Depending on the damage even more cut.
    I'm not a fan of waxes because they don't last long so I would go with a nice sealant or ceramic instead.
    Gold Class wash is fine, there are other good ones out there but I don't think there's anything wrong to use that while you still have it and then look for something else if you're not happy.
    Clay is clay so your griot's will be fine. ONR works well as a clay lube and also has many other uses.

With your car being black you'll have a harder time keeping it perfect. Set your expectations right or you'll go crazy.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Stockton2007 View Post

Hi all - new to the forum.

Hi Stocton2007,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I don't see any major flaws but do see some minor water marks and swirls.

I have been doing some reading and think i have a good plan for the exterior. Would like feedback and recommendations.
    [*]IPA? Do i need this step? Read Menzerna polishes are oily.
    If you're using a car wax or most synthetic paint sealants you DON'T NEED to chemically strip the paint and most people that do probably mar the paint in the process.

Chemically stripping is process made popular by Sal Zaino and his Z1 and Z2 synthetic sealants. He recommended stripping the paint so the Z1 and Z2 could form a proper bond and then his process spread like wild fire over the blogosphere.

Here's the deal... if the manufacturer of the LSP you're going to use recommends it then do it, otherwise just wipe the last polishing step residue off and move onto the wax or sealant.

[*]Poor Boys Black Hole (w/ blue or black pad)
    Poorboy's says this is a glaze. When I've used it in the past in acted more like a sealant with abrasives? Assuming it's a glaze applying it after a Menzerna polish would be a redundant step. You can do it if you want but I would do a test section with the Black Hole Glaze to a section you've polished with Menzerna and see if there's any improvement. If "yes" then do to the entire car. If "no" then skip this step.

[*]Collinite 845 (w/ black pad)[*]DG #972 as topper and quick detailer between washes
    The above is good. Practice applying a thin coat of the #845 to the hood and wiping it off before applying to the entire car. Get a feel for how it wipes off.

For glass, I use Stoners and, if needed, have used a "0000" steel wool for windshield wiper lines and mater marks.

I never use steel on glass but that's just me. If there's gunk on the glass use the most aggressive polish you have on a foam pad and do it BEFORE you wash the car. Just buzz around the car and hit the glass.

See the pictures in post #87 on page 9 of this thread,

Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend a 5" backing plate and using 5.5" pads. I would recommend Menzerna FG 400 for a compound and Optimum HyperPolish for a polish. Warning, you're going to get dozens of different recommendations.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. If it were me I would follow Mike Phillips advice.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and you recomendations.

Good to know someone with the same model and color to learn the paint is on the hard side. I did read vw usually is for their blacks but then I read the mk7 was soft compared to prior generations.

This is a daily driver so a great looking daily is the goal, but not going to drive myself crazy knowing black can be difficult.

Ideally trying to have a solid balance of looks, protection, time needed and budget.

Considering sealing with all dg products too vs the 845 but ive heard protection is similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know someone with the same model and color to learn the paint is on the hard side. I did read vw usually is for their blacks but then I read the mk7 was soft compared to prior generations.
    Mine is the carbon steel grey color. So it hides defects better than black
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Mine is the carbon steel grey color. So it hides defects better than black
    Ah, missed that. Thought you were black pearl too.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike - thanks for your reply. I will be trying your glass technique next time around. Also, I will be passing on the IPA unless specified but it doesn't appear any of the products I am considering recommend it.

I am also considering Optimum Polish II (with different pads) in lieu of the menzerma as it seems easy to use, versatile and has lots of great reviews. And then going straight to the 845. Thoughts doing this on black VW paint? Would i need something in between?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I would recommend a 5" backing plate and using 5.5" pads.
    I totally agree with the above, especially with this machine. To take it one step further, I would get the Griots vented backing plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast