autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New here... reading done... advise needed

Quote Originally Posted by Stockton2007 View Post

This is a daily driver so a great looking daily is the goal, but not going to drive myself crazy knowing black can be difficult.

Ideally trying to have a solid balance of looks, protection, time needed and budget.
    Welcome.

I'm also a black pearl GTI owner who daily's the car, but mine is a MK6.

I found two things have helped me keep my car looking really good over the last four years of ownership.

1) Don't be afraid to let it get a little dirty. I know it might sound counter-intuitive, but constant wipe-downs or things like waterless washes when I didn't have time to do a proper bucket wash, led to lots of swirls and marring. In the depths of winter, I only do touchless washes to keep the salt at bay. Except for bird droppings, I won't clean or wash it unless I can do it gentle and do it right.

2) I started using a coating vs a sealant or wax. I was one of those who felt coatings were a gimmick until I tried one. I've found they keep the car cleaner longer due to dirt, dust and grime clinging less. Highway speed driving blows off dust and rain provides a nice free rinse. They also make it much easier to wash as dirt easily glides away with my wash mitt. I find this ease of cleaning to save the paint as well. My cars wearing coatings have much fewer self induced washing marks now they are wearing a coating than when I used a sealant over an equal length of time.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    I totally agree with the above, especially with this machine. To take it one step further, I would get the Griots vented backing plate.

Thanks, I will look at this backing plate. I know this machine isn't the best choice but figured it couldn't hurt as a first time user. If anyone feels it is work moving up to a higher quality machine, please provide your suggestions.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Welcome.

I'm also a black pearl GTI owner who daily's the car, but mine is a MK6.

I found two things have helped me keep my car looking really good over the last four years of ownership.

1) Don't be afraid to let it get a little dirty. I know it might sound counter-intuitive, but constant wipe-downs or things like waterless washes when I didn't have time to do a proper bucket wash, led to lots of swirls and marring. In the depths of winter, I only do touchless washes to keep the salt at bay. Except for bird droppings, I won't clean or wash it unless I can do it gentle and do it right.

2) I started using a coating vs a sealant or wax. I was one of those who felt coatings were a gimmick until I tried one. I've found they keep the car cleaner longer due to dirt, dust and grime clinging less. Highway speed driving blows off dust and rain provides a nice free rinse. They also make it much easier to wash as dirt easily glides away with my wash mitt. I find this ease of cleaning to save the paint as well. My cars wearing coatings have much fewer self induced washing marks now they are wearing a coating than when I used a sealant over an equal length of time.
    Thanks for the input and i understand what you are saying. If you saw the car now, you would know I am not afraid to let it get dirty, haha. Can you provide what products you use for compound, polish, etc? Also, I haven't read much on coating, which have you had success with and I will do some reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stockton2007 View Post
    Thanks for the input and i understand what you are saying. If you saw the car now, you would know I am not afraid to let it get dirty, haha. Can you provide what products you use for compound, polish, etc? Also, I haven't read much on coating, which have you had success with and I will do some reading.
    Here is what I'm using on it right now.

Clay - Pinacle XMT clay (brand is now McKee's 37), but any reputable clay will work
    Compound - Blackfire SRC Compound
    Polish - Blackfire SRC Polish
    Lake Country Flat 5.5" polishing pads for my DA polisher
    Shampoo - Currently using Sonax Car Wash Concentrate (not the glossing one sold here) but any reputable soap with lots of lubrication will do
    Coating - McKee's 37 Paint Coating
    Post-wash wipe down - Kenotek Showroom Shine
    Trim Protectant - McKee's 37 Plastic Trim Resorer

A few notes:

- The Blackfire Products work really well as a two step process, but I'm honestly on the hunt for a one-step product that will take care of light swirls and finish LSP ready. The SRC Compound on a white pad is close, but I do notice an improvement in shine when I go back with the polish, so it's not quite there. The polish on an LC orange pad is also close, but sometimes isn't quite aggressive enough on the hard VW paint to get out all the marring. I'm thinking of trying some Sonax or Menzerna products next.

- The LC Flat pads work very well, but I received some sample Thin Pro pads a little while ago when they first came out and like them much better on my DA. I'll be changing my inventory through attrition going forward.

- McKee's 37 coating is a great learner coating. A great value, the bottle covers multiple cars, very easy to apply, seems to be pretty durable, and looks great. I'm thinking of moving to other coatings simply to experiment, but I am VERY content with the McKee's and it will be the product of choice for my other family vehicles.

- I've done post wash on the McKee's coating with both the McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray and the Kenotek. While the McKee's product is very good, I like the Kenotek better. You really can't go wrong with either.

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my MK7 I used a 7424XP with 5 inch backing plate. 5.5" Lake Country Thin Pro pads. I used orange pad with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. Then used white pad with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Then black pad to apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. On the trim I used Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. I have quite a few other brands but these products I used worked great on the GTI and it came out great. It's still going strong and it's been over 5 months. Later this month I'll give it a light polish and re-apply the sealant to get it winter ready.

My car didn't have many swirls from factory, I didn't let the dealer wash it before delivery. But what it had did not come off with just the white pad and I had to step up a little in power because the paint is hard. My plan is to use up the products I have and next year switch to ceramic coating.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I also have a 2017 GTI and the paint is quite hard. I think with SP3500 and a yellow/green pad you won't do much correction. You might need a 2500 with more aggressive pad. Depending on the damage even more cut.
    I'm not a fan of waxes because they don't last long so I would go with a nice sealant or ceramic instead.
    Gold Class wash is fine, there are other good ones out there but I don't think there's anything wrong to use that while you still have it and then look for something else if you're not happy.
    Clay is clay so your griot's will be fine. ONR works well as a clay lube and also has many other uses.

With your car being black you'll have a harder time keeping it perfect. Set your expectations right or you'll go crazy.
    Here we go...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Here is what I'm using on it right now.

Clay - Pinacle XMT clay (brand is now McKee's 37), but any reputable clay will work
    Compound - Blackfire SRC Compound
    Polish - Blackfire SRC Polish
    Lake Country Flat 5.5" polishing pads for my DA polisher
    Shampoo - Currently using Sonax Car Wash Concentrate (not the glossing one sold here) but any reputable soap with lots of lubrication will do
    Coating - McKee's 37 Paint Coating
    Post-wash wipe down - Kenotek Showroom Shine
    Trim Protectant - McKee's 37 Plastic Trim Resorer

A few notes:

- The Blackfire Products work really well as a two step process, but I'm honestly on the hunt for a one-step product that will take care of light swirls and finish LSP ready. The SRC Compound on a white pad is close, but I do notice an improvement in shine when I go back with the polish, so it's not quite there. The polish on an LC orange pad is also close, but sometimes isn't quite aggressive enough on the hard VW paint to get out all the marring. I'm thinking of trying some Sonax or Menzerna products next.

- The LC Flat pads work very well, but I received some sample Thin Pro pads a little while ago when they first came out and like them much better on my DA. I'll be changing my inventory through attrition going forward.

- McKee's 37 coating is a great learner coating. A great value, the bottle covers multiple cars, very easy to apply, seems to be pretty durable, and looks great. I'm thinking of moving to other coatings simply to experiment, but I am VERY content with the McKee's and it will be the product of choice for my other family vehicles.

- I've done post wash on the McKee's coating with both the McKee's 37 High Gloss Detail Spray and the Kenotek. While the McKee's product is very good, I like the Kenotek better. You really can't go wrong with either.
    When I got my MK7 I used a 7424XP with 5 inch backing plate. 5.5" Lake Country Thin Pro pads. I used orange pad with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. Then used white pad with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Then black pad to apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. On the trim I used Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. I have quite a few other brands but these products I used worked great on the GTI and it came out great. It's still going strong and it's been over 5 months. Later this month I'll give it a light polish and re-apply the sealant to get it winter ready.

My car didn't have many swirls from factory, I didn't let the dealer wash it before delivery. But what it had did not come off with just the white pad and I had to step up a little in power because the paint is hard. My plan is to use up the products I have and next year switch to ceramic coating.

Thanks for all of the info. It is much appreciated. I am going to try and do a good wash this weekend and take some photos. Hoping to post them and maybe get some input and direction on the paints current state. Will a wash, dry and photos accomplish this?

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how much sun you have over the car and the angle it will show the state of the paint. If not, put it in the garage and use a good flashlight in the dark garage, it will help you see the flaws, if they're there.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how much sun you have over the car and the angle it will show the state of the paint. If not, put it in the garage and use a good flashlight in the dark garage, it will help you see the flaws, if they're there.
    So very true. Trying to find swirls on a cloudy day using the sun is nearly impossible.

Another variable could be the dealer prep. If they used some sort of glaze, it might be hiding the defects. After five months I'd think it would gone by now, but you never know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12