autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro PERL over other tire coatings ??

Hi guys,
    I've used TufShine & more recently McKee's 37 Tire Coating for a long time & really like the long-lasting results on my tires. Having said that, the tire cleaning/prep is fairly lengthy & labor intensive, & I was hoping to figure out a way to make the shine last longer before having to re-treat the tires (about every 6-8 weeks). I recently picked up some CarPro PERL for my new Audi SQ5 for use in the engine bay & the interior plastic surfaces. I realize PERL is often used as a tire treatment as well, & I was wondering if anyone had ever used it ON TOP of something like TufShine or McKee's to see if it would last longer? I plan on doing a trial in the next couple of weeks (& will post my results), but just wondering if anyone's tried it?

Cheers,

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro PERL over other tire coatings ??

i would just apply one type of tire dressing/coating and not apply anything over it. you can always apply two coats if needed...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried it with Perl, but the 1 time I tried it with Meguiars Hyper Dressing it totally killed the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro PERL is a great product. It looks great on tires but doesn't last that long. I've never tried applying PERL on top of a tire coating. I think PERL will damage the tire coating and cause it to deteriorate, crack and maybe flake off.

Now I want to get a junk tire and give this a test.

Post Thanks / Like

In the few tests that I’ve tried on bumper trim and tires with 1,2,3 and 4 coats, PERL washed right off. Like, zero durability.

I doubt it would help durability on another dressing.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried Perl on top of McKee's tire coating that is months old. Just to see what would happen. Within a few weeks Perl was gone without damaging the tire coating. Perl didn't do much to the look other than darken it a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is a water based product that can get you more than 6-8 weeks on a tire. I get the level of effort can be significant but every 2 months is not a bad thing at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    I don't think there is a water based product that can get you more than 6-8 weeks on a tire. I get the level of effort can be significant but every 2 months is not a bad thing at all.
    6 weeks? I'm happy with six days! Actually two or three drives in a rain and they are done.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt a water dressing would damage a coating. Those are usually acrylic based, so they are in effect paint. But I could be wrong. The question is, why apply a dressing over a coating?

8 weeks from a water based dressing? You must live somewhere that has no rain! Usually a week or two is what I expect with Optimum Opti-Bond. I believe Perl is about the same durability.

When my bottle is done, I am not sure what I will try. Maybe hyper dressing as a concentrate. I think it should be a bit less expensive and give about the same durability. Or I could switch to a silicon based dressing like Meg's all-season. Really not sure. Clients never ever mention preference for dressing, so I might as well give them something that lasts longer...

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Just to post my Perl experience:

I get 4-5 weeks of decent-looking tires from Perl. Even through a few rainy days here & there.

Maybe it lasts longer on different tire brands/rubber compositions? Maybe in the way one preps the tires?

Not sure. I believe every word of you guys saying Perl doesn't last in your experience. I however have found it to last the month or so as I stated.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast