autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't get rid of Tire Browning

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTowel View Post
    This. Plus, I have also found that Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel and tire cleaner works VERY well on de-blooming tires. Better than D143, which many people claim is the same as Hot Rims.
    They're simliar based listed chemical ingredients. Hot Rims Wheel and Tire has an additional detergent (Sodium Olefin Sulfonate). Otherwise the same thing roughly - exact percentages not given. Could be the additional cleaner makes a difference on browning.

I've read a few posts about D143 not removing browning very well. Have no first-hand experience.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    They're simliar based listed chemical ingredients. Hot Rims Wheel and Tire has an additional detergent (Sodium Olefin Sulfonate). Otherwise the same thing roughly - exact percentages not given. Could be the additional cleaner makes a difference on browning.

I've read a few posts about D143 not removing browning very well. Have no first-hand experience.
    I really enjoy D143, it’s one of my favorite chemicals I’ve purchased. I had an issue with it not seeming to clean my tires as well before I swapped to a water based dressing, but ever since then I haven’t seen any issues.

Diluted at 2:1 it didn’t seem to have enough bite to strip off the meguiars hot shine tire spray, but it does fine cleaning VRP off.

id really like to try the McKee’s tire and rubber rejuvenator (I think that’s the name of their tire cleaner.)

Post Thanks / Like

Scrub it dress it done.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I really enjoy D143, it’s one of my favorite chemicals I’ve purchased. I had an issue with it not seeming to clean my tires as well before I swapped to a water based dressing, but ever since then I haven’t seen any issues.

Diluted at 2:1 it didn’t seem to have enough bite to strip off the meguiars hot shine tire spray, but it does fine cleaning VRP off.

id really like to try the McKee’s tire and rubber rejuvenator (I think that’s the name of their tire cleaner.)

The Mckee's Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator has worked very well for me. I was just stumped this time as to why it didn't remove the browning.

But as a number of guys have posted. Her tires are very old. In fact she is buying new ones soon. So it wasnt The Mckee's fault. I'll will still enjoy using it.

Post Thanks / Like

It really isn't strong enough at 3:1 as recommended on the bottle or even at 2:1. I tend to shoot for 1.5:1 and it probably winds up being closer to 1:1 if I'm not careful with the spring pump I have on the gallon bottle.

Here's how it looked on some really nasty tires I did this weekend at around about 1.5:1

Can't get rid of Tire Browning-tire-bleed-jpg

(Note: sprayed out of a standard HDX sprayer...no agitation in that pic)

And then agitated with a stiff bristle brush:

Can't get rid of Tire Browning-tire-scrubbed-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcat9 View Post
    It really isn't strong enough at 3:1 as recommended on the bottle or even at 2:1. I tend to shoot for 1.5:1 and it probably winds up being closer to 1:1 if I'm not careful with the spring pump I have on the gallon bottle.

Here's how it looked on some really nasty tires I did this weekend at around about 1.5:1

Can't get rid of Tire Browning-tire-bleed-jpg
    Maybe I should just mix it up stronger for when I clean relatives wheels, it’s pretty inexpensive either way lol.

My gf was kind enough to get me a spray bottle of super clean when she was at Wally World recently and I’ve been diluting that at 4:1, and that stuff eats whatever I throw at it right off tires, it’s pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I should just mix it up stronger for when I clean relatives wheels, it’s pretty inexpensive either way lol.

My gf was kind enough to get me a spray bottle of super clean when she was at Wally World recently and I’ve been diluting that at 4:1, and that stuff eats whatever I throw at it right off tires, it’s pretty impressive.

Highly recommend a stronger solution of 143. At $20 (+/- $3 depending on source) per gallon, even diluted 1:1 you're getting 2 gallons (256oz) of RTU wheel and tire cleaner. I just make sure to over-rinse after use especially on the tires to make sure I get it all off so that there's no staining left behind.

Hot rims at ~$6 per 24oz is approximately $64 for the equivalent quantity (256oz / 24oz per HR bottle = 10.67 bottles, $6 per)

I really like super clean and what it can do, but for me it doesn't make sense to have a separate tire-only product when D143 does a great job on wheels and tires in one product. Same reason I haven't bought super degreaser yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't get rid of Tire Browning

Highly recommend a stronger solution of 143. At $20 (+/- $3 depending on source) per gallon, even diluted 1:1 you're getting 2 gallons (256oz) of RTU wheel and tire cleaner.

Hot rims at ~$6 per 24oz is approximately $64 for the equivalent quantity (256oz / 24oz per HR bottle = 10.67 bottles, $6 per)

I really like super clean and what it can do, but for me it doesn't make sense to have a separate tire-only product when D143 does a great job on wheels and tires in one product. Same reason I haven't bought super degreaser yet.
    Yeah it makes sense, it’s economical at any dilution for sure.

When it comes to pretty neglected wheels in particular do you find D143 to be adequate in cleaning them up? I’ve honestly never tried it on my family members wheels that are exceptionally neglected (never cleaned.) I usually hit those with d140 and then never have to again.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it makes sense, it’s economical at any dilution for sure.

When it comes to pretty neglected wheels in particular do you find D143 to be adequate in cleaning them up? I’ve honestly never tried it on my family members wheels that are exceptionally neglected (never cleaned.) I usually hit those with d140 and then never have to again.
    D140 is awesome, and highly effective stuff. I don't have any of it right now but I used to use it in the past. I find that the strong D143 mix plus agitation with the right brushes can get most of the heavy lifting done.

I usually reach for an iron remover for the heavily contaminated wheels as of late, but they're a lot more money than 140 so I'm starting to reconsider that plan. I may switch to something like 140 for heavy rim work and then save Gyeon Iron for paintwork.

Post Thanks / Like

D140 is awesome, and highly effective stuff. I don't have any of it right now but I used to use it in the past. I find that the strong D143 mix plus agitation with the right brushes can get most of the heavy lifting done.

I usually reach for an iron remover for the heavily contaminated wheels as of late, but they're a lot more money than 140 so I'm starting to reconsider that plan. I may switch to something like 140 for heavy rim work and then save Gyeon Iron for paintwork.
    Good to know.

https://www.autogeek.net/kwazar-pro-super-foamer.html

I was considering getting one of these during the next free shipping sale to play with D143 in, curious how well the foam will cling as opposed to just using their regular sprayer. Also save my poor finger from using the trigger so much, I think my right index finger has abs by now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast