autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying vs. Polishing

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    This goes against many years of experience of thousands of the others out there, doesn't it? Without being there watching you work it is impossible to know what is going on, or even guess, so I might be way off if I wonder is scratching when claying to a point of hearing it indicator of car not being washed completely beforehand.
    You may have a point. I always wondered if I was being anal when I wash my car TWICE before claying. I always looked at the second wash as cheap and easy insurance against rubbing dirt particles into the paint that were missed on the first washing. Maybe I am doing more good doing the second wash than I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert31 View Post
    You may have a point. I always wondered if I was being anal when I wash my car TWICE before claying. I always looked at the second wash as cheap and easy insurance against rubbing dirt particles into the paint that were missed on the first washing. Maybe I am doing more good doing the second wash than I thought.
    Doing second wash is good. Completely changing the wash media used (mitt, sponge, whatever, ...) from panel to panel, not just rinsing it, is even better.

Post Thanks / Like

This goes against many years of experience of thousands of the others out there, doesn't it? Without being there watching you work it is impossible to know what is going on, or even guess, so I might be way off if I wonder is scratching when claying to a point of hearing it indicator of car not being washed completely beforehand.
    I doubt it, i do a IPA wipe down before i clay, and its always squeaky clean. I have had this happen with every type of clay, and i only use ultra fine clays like pinns ultra poly clay. Now again im not saying the pannel is filled with scratches that werent there before and its unfix able. Like i said the particals are way to small to cause any real harm, but it still happens. Remember im talking on a micron scale here. When i say i can hear it i mean you really have to be listening in a quite environment, you dont just hear what sounds like you are sanding the car. All I know is that it happens for a fact, logically it makes sense that if you are rubbing a piece of clay over the surface that it is going to pick things up and rub them into the paint. Even with fine clay good lube and every other thing you could want. You cant get around the physics of it. Also when i hear the sound i always check the clay, and most of the time the culprit is so small its very hard to see, if even possible depending on the clay color.

Post Thanks / Like

Claying is an abrasive process, no doubt about it. It all depends on the condition of the vehicle before hand. A clean surface and plenty of lube will reduce visibility of the marring as mentioned above. An acid or decontamination wash are alternatives to claying... Claying is always beneficial, IMO. On vehicles that I maintain all year, claying 2x a year is necessary but I can only tell a difference when I am laying a coat of wax, I can feel the contamination / drag on the applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank God it's a free country so I will keep on claying.

(Note to self: More time claying, less time posting talking logic)
    Last edited by ZoranC; 01-16-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

umm ok
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

Thank God it's a free country so I will keep on claying.

(Note to self: More time claying, less time posting talking logic)
    If you look back at my post you will see many times, by no means am i saying dont clay, its bad. I clay too, if there was a better way i would use it. As far as the decontamination washes i dont see how they could be as effective as claying. As far as abrasiveness goes, some clays have added abrasives in them which marrs the paint, but fine clays like pinn. ultra poly are not abrasive them selfs.

Post Thanks / Like

"As far as the decontamination washes i dont see how they could be as effective as claying".

Acid neutralizing wash - I would strongly recommend an acid neutralizing wash followed by a corrosion inhibitor on an annual or semi-annual basis. You will find that a proper acid neutralizing wash opens the paint fissures (pores) and will release most of the imbedded ferrous oxide deposits and the remainder comes off very easily by clay encapsulation. These systems will produce a better finish on the paint surface than is possible with detailer’s clay alone and is also the only solution that addresses acid rain, industrial pollutants, and tree sap etching as well as other polyurethane clear coat concerns

A three step neutralization and wash system comprises; (a) Acid Neutralizer (b) Alkaline Neutralizer (use in conjunction with detailer’s clay) and (c) a pH 7.0 Surface Conditioner, which safely removes both surface and subsurface contamination (i.e. rust) that collects on a painted finish which includes, industrial fallout (IFO), rail dust, acid rain, hard water spots, road tar, bird excrement, waxes/silicones, oxidation, adhesive residue, road grime and rust stains introduced via road salt, ferrous metal deposits. Auto International -
    Last edited by TOGWT; 01-17-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    "As far as the decontamination washes i dont see how they could be as effective as claying".

Acid neutralizing wash - I would strongly recommend an acid neutralizing wash followed by a corrosion inhibitor on an annual or semi-annual basis. You will find that a proper acid neutralizing wash opens the paint fissures (pores) and will release most of the imbedded ferrous oxide deposits and the remainder comes off very easily by clay encapsulation. These systems will produce a better finish on the paint surface than is possible with detailer’s clay alone and is also the only solution that addresses acid rain, industrial pollutants, and tree sap etching as well as other polyurethane clear coat concerns

A three step neutralization and wash system comprises; (a) Acid Neutralizer (b) Alkaline Neutralizer (use in conjunction with detailer’s clay) and (c) a pH 7.0 Surface Conditioner, which safely removes both surface and subsurface contamination (i.e. rust) that collects on a painted finish which includes, industrial fallout (IFO), rail dust, acid rain, hard water spots, road tar, bird excrement, waxes/silicones, oxidation, adhesive residue, road grime and rust stains introduced via road salt, ferrous metal deposits. Auto International -
    What brands of Acid Neutralizer, Alkaline Neutralizer and Surface Conditioners/Corrosion Inhibitor do you like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert31 View Post
    What brands of Acid Neutralizer, Alkaline Neutralizer and Surface Conditioners/Corrosion Inhibitor do you like?
    Automotive International or Finish Kare

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast