autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How long does it take you?

How long does it take you guys to polish a vehicle? I have a 7424 and just finished up my 17 Sierra. Between what was done yesterday and today, I’d guess I’m somewhere around the 12 hour mark this time. Washed, clayed, HD Speed and followed with HD Poxy. I’m not known for moving quickly by any means but I just wish this didn’t talways turn into a 2 day ordeal for me.
    Chase
    Mine: 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, 6.2L Crew Cab
    Hers: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long does it take you?

With what you just did, typically would take me about 6 hours on a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of Variables here to consider. Condition of paint and tools used are key. On what I would call a New Vehicle Prep for a large truck like that, if the condition was just light dealer installed swirls, I spend about 2 hrs cleaning and decontaminating the vehicle. It might take me another 4-5 hours of polishing and finishing out the trim, etc. I budget about 7-8hrs when it comes to trucks like this for the sake of staying profitable. Reality is between 6-8hrs which sounds like a long time, but again, depends on the condition, etc.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not the best comparison since it isn't a full sized truck, but when I do a full detail on the exterior of my wife's Highlander it will take me roughly 8 hours. Polishing all that surface area is easily the longest part of the process.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my new Ram. I had 2 hrs into wash (1st wash ever...dealer didn't touch) Decon, wash again and then clay roof hood). Yesterday I had 4 hrs into balance of Clay and polish, but my polish was getting the paint Perfect, being very picky, which is another 4 hrs. I am going to Cquartz tonight which should be maybe 1.5-2 hrs.
    2017 BMW M2 - 2017 Ram Laramie - 2016 Subaru Outback - 2015 Ram Outdoorsman
    2006 VW Jetta TDI - 2003 Duramax Diesel - 1999 Jeep Cherokee

Post Thanks / Like

It can also depend on the tools used. For example when claying, I use a Da and a clay pad which cuts the time in half for that portion. How many cutting/polishing pads do you have can determine the time on those task (are you having to clean the pad after each panel or just throwing on a new pad). Do you have various sized DA’s so that you can run faster in tighter spots with a small DA compared to using a 5” and having to work more cautious or the opposite and using a small 5 inch on a larger panel that you could use a 6”...Lots of variables and techniques that can reduce or increase ones time of detailing an automobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Every post I see asking "how long" gets me to think "I wouldn't worry about that" further thinking "it takes as long as it takes you to get the results you want". Yes, we all wonder how we compare to others in the amount of time it takes to properly clean, decon, polish and protect. I too have done that in the past but I've realized it takes me...me...X amount of hours. There will always be someone faster and even some of those who are faster and get better results. That doesn't bother me or motivate me to speed up.

That's not to say I haven't streamlined some efficiencies. Adam Gayton brought forth some great points. I have studied my "motions" and have incorporated some movement and equipment efficiencies to lower my time a bit and that not only sped it up but resulted in a little less fatigue at the end. for example, having an abundance of pads and simply grabbing a fresh one in lieu of spending some time cleaning out the limited few I had, having a second machine all set up and on the cart next to me plugged in and ready to go (with pads), nanoskin for claying instead of a mere 4-5 square inch piece of clay, etc. All changes I've made to work more and move less but...

Then along comes Iron X and the half hour to hour I've gained then goes away cus I've added an extra step in the decon phase of work. But the final result is even better!

Basically, my point is ease your mind about it taking too long as compared to others. Be comfortable in establishing your work methods to get it right.

And that takes time.

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I was just using a GG6 was usually something like:

Friday Night: Scrub/clean wheels and tires for Tuff Shine & Gyeon Rim application. Wash, Iron-X, Quick wash, Nanoskin mitt, Wash...dry. - about 4hrs
    Saturday: Compound and Polish - about 10-12 hrs
    Sunday: Coat, Tuff Shine Tires, Gyeon Rim Wheels, Gyeon Trim on plastics, misc cleanup - about 6hrs

This was all in my garage, tripping over cords, moving stuff around, plugging/unplugging machines as I moved around cars. One thing that helped considerably this year was remembering I had an 8ft table and setting it up in garage. Spend about 30-45 minutes getting out everything I think I'll need and organized...probably saved 2 -3hrs of just moving/resetting stuff in previous routine.

Now, I have compounded, polished and coated our Corvette one day in about 8hrs but I was hustling, not taking breaks, not wandering about...just busting it out.

Getting a Flex 3401 for the compounding, and a Rupes 15 Mk2 for the polishing step knocked a couple hours off of that, especially the compounding; strap a 6.5" pad on the Flex for hood, roof, trunk and 5.5" for vertical panels and if you know polishing is to follow (usually Sonax Perfect Finish on Rupes if paint allows) you can really knock out the heavy stuff with the Flex pretty quickly. Bit of a workout but fast.

By the same token, on our personal cars that can be outta service for a week, I took 2 weeks to do the Corvette. Maybe one panel a day/night...nor reason to hurry so why knock myself out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Lots of Variables here to consider. Condition of paint and tools used are key. On what I would call a New Vehicle Prep for a large truck like that, if the condition was just light dealer installed swirls, I spend about 2 hrs cleaning and decontaminating the vehicle. It might take me another 4-5 hours of polishing and finishing out the trim, etc. I budget about 7-8hrs when it comes to trucks like this for the sake of staying profitable. Reality is between 6-8hrs which sounds like a long time, but again, depends on the condition, etc.
    Agree on the variables. Also, the the tool being used (short stroke, long, forced or not). One step or 2 step (or 3). Polishing wheels or not. Paint hardness. What is the desired goal (100% perfect paint or 90%).
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

A more usefull tool would be what saved you time.

I don't mind spending as much time as it takes to get the desired results (DD only).

But I also like to use a better way if available.

That leads to lots of trial and error.

However once you find a good one you keep using it.

That is why I like this forum (a little hard on the wallet but less than if no info).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast