autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Ceramic Coating Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum as far as posting is concerned, but have been a lurker for a while. I've been lightly detailing my cars for the past 10 years (wash, clay, wax), but have just recently bumped it up to paint correction and many of the various techniques I've read on here/Larry K./Pan the Organizer, etc.

While I'm not planning on embarking on this project until I have a garage that can fit more than just my car (barely), I have been reading a lot about ceramic coatings and have a few somewhat case specific questions. I would like to ask some questions and make some statements below, and if you would be so kind as to lend your insight and correct any of my thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. Please feel free to redirect me if you have an archived thread that answers these questions:

1.) I have a Suntek Clear Bra that was installed on my hood, fenders, front bumper, rear bumper sill and side skirts when the car had 12 miles on it. I did some light clay on the car after washing. I inspected for swirls but was happy with the way the paint looked and didn't correct before installing the bra. I'm really happy with how it looks, and was wondering about using CQUK on the bra. I've read a few other vehicle specific forums where it seems like a lot of PPF installers apply a ceramic coating on top. Anyone have experience with this?

2.) If a coating like CQUK is applied to a car, the general consensus seems to be that prior to reapplying in 1-2 years (or whenever), you should wash, clay, decontaminate and polish the paint to increase bonding of the added layer of coating. What do you do to the clear bra that has been coated when reapplying in order to remove or prep the previous layer of coating?

3.) My clear bra was precut, so there are exposed edges around each of the panels. Typically I avoid these when waxing/sealing or go over then with IPA and a Qtip to remove excess in the edge. Can I apply a ceramic coating to these edges? It would seem beneficial to have that protection from dirt edging it's way in, but I'm not sure how the coating would react with the adhesive?

4.) Also along those lines, looks like a lot of people like to use Iron-X prior to claying. Anyone with a suntek bra used this for the bra. Seems like it would be a good idea, since I don't think claying the bra is the best idea. Thoughts? I would be really, really bummed if the Iron-X Stained the edges of the bra.

5.) Anyone have any bad experiences with CQUK/Reload. Seems to be pretty well liked.

Like I said, for now I'm pretty happy taking the time to machine apply sealants and waxes, but I have a little one on the way so much (all?) of my free time will be diverted and a less time-demanding protection of the paint on my cars sounds really nice. As soon as my garage is more than 1 STi long x 1 STi wide .

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jettadude123 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum as far as posting is concerned, but have been a lurker for a while. I've been lightly detailing my cars for the past 10 years (wash, clay, wax), but have just recently bumped it up to paint correction and many of the various techniques I've read on here/Larry K./Pan the Organizer, etc.

While I'm not planning on embarking on this project until I have a garage that can fit more than just my car (barely), I have been reading a lot about ceramic coatings and have a few somewhat case specific questions. I would like to ask some questions and make some statements below, and if you would be so kind as to lend your insight and correct any of my thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. Please feel free to redirect me if you have an archived thread that answers these questions:

1.) I have a Suntek Clear Bra that was installed on my hood, fenders, front bumper, rear bumper sill and side skirts when the car had 12 miles on it. I did some light clay on the car after washing. I inspected for swirls but was happy with the way the paint looked and didn't correct before installing the bra. I'm really happy with how it looks, and was wondering about using CQUK on the bra. I've read a few other vehicle specific forums where it seems like a lot of PPF installers apply a ceramic coating on top. Anyone have experience with this?
    you will be fine. ceramic coatings are fine over PPF's.

2.) If a coating like CQUK is applied to a car, the general consensus seems to be that prior to reapplying in 1-2 years (or whenever), you should wash, clay, decontaminate and polish the paint to increase bonding of the added layer of coating. What do you do to the clear bra that has been coated when reapplying in order to remove or prep the previous layer of coating?
    Lightly polishing it with a soft pad is fine. No leaning into it and keep your arms in motion to avoid hot spots. You're fine.

3.) My clear bra was precut, so there are exposed edges around each of the panels. Typically I avoid these when waxing/sealing or go over then with IPA and a Qtip to remove excess in the edge. Can I apply a ceramic coating to these edges? It would seem beneficial to have that protection from dirt edging it's way in, but I'm not sure how the coating would react with the adhesive?
    coatings aren't anything hugely difficult. they won't bother the edges at all. Just be sure to clean any polish residue and dirt from the edges. Again, don't over-think it or stress.

4.) Also along those lines, looks like a lot of people like to use Iron-X prior to claying. Anyone with a suntek bra used this for the bra. Seems like it would be a good idea, since I don't think claying the bra is the best idea. Thoughts? I would be really, really bummed if the Iron-X Stained the edges of the bra.
    Just don't use iron x in the sun. I've never had it stain PPF or harm the edges.

5.) Anyone have any bad experiences with CQUK/Reload. Seems to be pretty well liked.
    The newer formulas are pretty solid products. I've had no issues with either. Some have reported streaking but I have not. I find the CarPro suede cloths (16x16) are awesome for wiping away product. Just be sure to remove it all or you could get high-spots. Most noticeable on dark cars.

Ironically I have a slight smear/high spot on one of my doors in a small are near the handle. I actually left it as I use it as a talking point to customers and it does a very good job of showing the lasting power of a coating. It will stay there for 1-2 years as proof of a coating lasting
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating Questions

Awesome, thank you very much for the thorough response. Much appreciated.