autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving backward from "start with the least abrasive option".

So when you start with the least abrasive option and it doesn't quite get the job done, which do you prefer to change first? Same product with a rougher pad? Same pad with a rougher product? Or is it just situational?

Noob to machine polishing, but this site has been great!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving backward from "start with the least abrasive option".

I dont have a standard answer. I just pick one, it doesnt really matter much. Dont over think it.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I look very carefully at what the first attempt did. If it removed some of the scratches I might try the same product on the next aggressive pad. If that second test didn't do much better I change to a more aggressive product and the first pad. Then, if needed, a more aggressive product on a more aggressive pad.

That's 4 tests to hopefully find whats going to work best on this paint today kinda thing. Most times it takes me 2 or 3 tests on paint I haven't worked before. My goal is to find whats going to just level the scratches and no more.

The key for me continues to be that very first test with what I guess will work. That tells me more than anything else how easy or hard the clear is.

Post Thanks / Like

I generally go up to a more aggressive pad first. Then if that doesn't get it I'll go back to the prior pad, a fresh one, and go up to the next level in aggressiveness.

For example, so like from orange to yellow, then back from yellow to orange in the LC or B&S flat pad line.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goalieman24 View Post
    So when you start with the least abrasive option and it doesn't quite get the job done, which do you prefer to change first? Same product with a rougher pad? Same pad with a rougher product? Or is it just situational? Noob to machine polishing, but this site has been great!

If It's a car that I think just a polish will help, I usually start with an orange pad. Depending on the product, they finish out beautifully. If needed, I'll drop on a wool pad (Flex 3401 here) or MicroFiber if on a non forced rotational buffer. After that however, a second step will be needed to polish it out to perfection. Not much though.

On really bad finishes I simply start with compound and wool and plan for a 2 step. Makes no difference really as you're not going to remove any more clear coat than is needed so compound and wool with 3-4 light passes or 5-6 higher pressure passes with a foam pad, both are the same in terms of clear removal. I prefer the former as I can blast through defects quickly and the finishing polish step goes very quickly.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I generally go up to a more aggressive pad first. Then if that doesn't get it I'll go back to the prior pad, a fresh one, and go up to the next level in aggressiveness.

For example, so like from orange to yellow, then back from yellow to orange in the LC or B&S flat pad line.
    Same here. The only real reason for that is I already have one bottle readily at hand for the test and simply don't want to juggle both pad and a bottle at the same time.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I know I do the same. Pad first, then product. IIRC, Mike Phillips stated he moves up in pad first, then product.

I know when we scuffed & buffed a 1948 Jeepster at AGO, after we first did the scuff (trizact 5000 sanding disks) we then used Flex 3401's, Orange Cutting Pads and Sonax EX 04-06 medium cut polish. We still saw some tiger striping from the scuff&buff so we hit the vehicle with a flex rotary and the same Sonax EX-04-06. Then went back over the jeepster again with Flex DA's and the same EX 04-06.

So, at the end of the day, 2 different tools, each with differing degrees of cut (both tool and pad) and same product throughout. Amazing results:

Post Thanks / Like

Either pad, or both.

The Rupes system makes it very easy, but I'm doing a LOT of work with their Keramik Fine Cut polish, and yellow foam and microfiber pads.

I have the entire line of pads and polishes, but those get used the most, followed by the Blue microfiber/Zephir.