autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

4 week old New Car

I did not do the new car detail. The new vehicle is a metallic black Range Rover Sport and I've driven it for about 400 miles/3 weeks since picking it up from the dealer. I am a complete newbie in regards to detailing. But after hanging around these forums this past few days, I bought a bunch of stuff to get me started. GG6 DA, pads from Lake country. Griot's 5.5 inch vented back plate.

Do you guys still recommend: Wash/Dry, Iron X, Wash/Dry, Possible clay and possible polish? Then wax?

I am a complete newbie and never used a DA before. For Waxing, I can use either Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax or M21. Which do you guys recommend for a newbie such as me?

Those black plastic trims are scratch magnets. Do you guys recommend CarPro DLux Plastic coating after polishing that area?Much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 week old New Car

If you've never done it, now is the perfect time to get a baseline established.

For that reason, I'd go all out on decon. Wash it, dry it, Iron X, wash again, definitely clay it, possibly another wash even. Then I would decide from there where the process goes. That being a pretty valuable/high end car I'd want to start looking into correcting some of the swirls that are no doubt in the paint from the dealer. A light polish is the way to go here, or even an all in one polish such as McKees 360 or HD Speed. These will leave behind a durable sealant that should last a long time for you.

If it were my vehicle, I'd want to coat it rather than sealing/waxing. But if you're new enough that you haven't used a DA then you probably don't want to go to the level of coating.

M21 has some fine abrasive in it if I remember correctly and/or filling properties so you wouldn't want to use that over top of an AIO. I would instead use that as an AIO as it leaves behind a synthetic sealant and should help to correct and/or fill the remaining fine scratches and swirls. Then you could top with the ultimate liquid wax if you so desired.

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I love Griots BOSS line, fast correcting cream is a great compound. I'd look at the BOSS line of polishes. I also like Meguiar's products.

Your process seems spot on. I'd go with a sealant. More user friendly. Two of my and the forum's favorites are FK1000p and Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. M21 has good reviews, but never have used it myself.

Welcome to AGO!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge fan of jescar (menzerna) power lock, another great sealant if you're looking for something new.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure you dont have to wash THEN dry before the Iron-X. If you just wash it then let it drip for a few min and take a break (Unless you are in direct sunlight) then spray the IX. Then wash again, rinse, then start with the clay with no drying needed cause the water and soap can help you greatly with lubrication.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all.

So no polish. Just M21 (with its slight abrasiveness) and Im good to go?

Which of Griot's Boss Line do you recommend for my particular car?

Post Thanks / Like

The best advice I can share with you is pick a product line and stick with that line, learn the product line and the processes and wormk to master them.

Have plenty of pads, atleast 6 orange, 6 white for polishing and a couple blue or black for applying lsp.

For results, value and user friendliness I like the HD line. It's affordable, excellent results and very user friendly.

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

HD Speed, exceptional AIO:

3D HD Speed

HD Polish + Excellent polish, easy to use and long working time

3D HD Polish+ 16 oz. NEW FORMULA!

Finish off with HD Poxy and that bad boy will look awesome, it makes darker colors look dripping wet!

3D HD Poxy - Montan Wax & Sealant NEW LOOK!

HD Speed topped with Poxy:

4 week old New Car-bmw435ia-jpg

4 week old New Car-bmw2-jpg

370Z before HD

4 week old New Car-z06-jpg

370Z after HD Adapt and sealed with HD Poxy (Adapt was discontinued Polish + fits the bill now )

4 week old New Car-z05-jpg

4 week old New Car-z04-jpg
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
    I did not do the new car detail. The new vehicle is a metallic black Range Rover Sport and I've driven it for about 400 miles/3 weeks since picking it up from the dealer. I am a complete newbie in regards to detailing. But after hanging around these forums this past few days, I bought a bunch of stuff to get me started. GG6 DA, pads from Lake country. Griot's 5.5 inch vented back plate.

Do you guys still recommend: Wash/Dry, Iron X, Wash/Dry, Possible clay and possible polish? Then wax?

I am a complete newbie and never used a DA before. For Waxing, I can use either Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax or M21. Which do you guys recommend for a newbie such as me?

Those black plastic trims are scratch magnets. Do you guys recommend CarPro DLux Plastic coating after polishing that area?Much appreciated
    Let me answer your question on DLUX. It is a common product for plastic trim. It can be a little tricky to apply but it is not hard to figure it out. Gyeon Trim and GTechniq C4 are a little easier to use as far as trim coatings go. There is always the good option of Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant or McKee's 37 Trim product.

With claying comes the risk marring the paint. So you may need to polish or use a cleaner wax.

But seeing as you have M21 or ultimate liquid wax then I would recommend to polish. See my comment below. Either sealant will work fine. ULW has newer polymers and better hydrophobic properties. It will also last a little longer than M21. You can always try the other down the line.

As far as chemically decontaminating the paint Mike Phillips has his aggressive wash method which works very well. You can alter the method to best suit your needs.

The Aggressive Approach to Washing a Car

On video around the 9 min mark

You may also want to watch this video as well if you are new to polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Balthezor View Post
    Thank you all.

So no polish. Just M21 (with its slight abrasiveness) and Im good to go?

Which of Griot's Boss Line do you recommend for my particular car?
    M21 doesn't contain abrasives. It's a finishing sealant. If you wish you to polish you have many polishes available to you. If you want to learn then Meguiar's ultimate compound and polish are a good starting point.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are great. I really appreciate all the responses.

Before I do anything to my car, I will "practice" detailing my inlaws car. I don't think they ever washed it(I might have a few times) and not parked in the garage. Should be a good challenge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast