autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with scratches on a Mercedes hood

I’d try an LC microfiber as stated above before sanding anything. An orange pad is a light cutting pad and you could always try a firmer one too. FG400 can remove some nasty scratches with the right pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Want to think everyone for the help. I was able to get most of the scratches out with a meguiars micro fiber cutting pad and menzerna 400. The ones that are still there are barely noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    Want to think everyone for the help. I was able to get most of the scratches out with a meguiars micro fiber cutting pad and menzerna 400. The ones that are still there are barely noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    That's great. Glad it worked out.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    Where does menzerna liquid matt compare to shc300? I have a small bottle at work and it is like liquid sandpaper. Just curious as I may grab it and try some trouble spots. Would a surbuff and m105 touch them?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    There is a massive difference between SHC300 and a matting compound. Menzerna's "liquid Matte" and Scholl's "SO Matting Compound" are meant to be "alternatives to sanding"

Matting compounds are meant to be used as "liquid sandpaper" although not as effective as sanding, they can remove orange peel, bird etchings, deep scratches, etc that would otherwise require sanding. Personally I only would consider using a matting compound on isolated RIDS on repainted vehicles that have plenty of paint.

What makes Menzerna SHC300 so special IMO is that it's the heaviest compound I've found that I can still easily 2-step. It works exceptionally well on heavily oxidized paints and is heavily lubricated. I've found it works well on both Rotary and DA but in most cases I prefer using it on Rotary with LambsWool. Unless you are using it with a Twisted Wool pad on a rotary I have always been able to follow it up with a finishing polish like HD Polish+ or Scholl Concepts S30+

The only negative I've found with Menzerna 300 is that while it initially cuts much more than HC400 or Jescar Correction Compound, it's diminishing abrasives really break down a bit too fast. I personally do a ton of sanding and orange peel removal on repainted classic cars and when removing my sanding scratches the SMAT abrasives utilized in M101 may not initially cut nearly as much initially, but because SMAT abrasive break down so much slower M101 cuts just as much by the time both compounds are fully worked.

In my opinion, you would love SHC 300. Lots of guys think of it of a rocks in a bottle compound, other guys assume it's the same as FG400, but it really is a much heavier compound than FG400.

One other thing, you cannot 1-step SHC300 like you may with other compounds. Even with a foam pad it will leave a haze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12