autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Magic Eraser?

Post Thanks / Like

Magic Eraser?

So for the guys who like using these on glass?

Why?

Are they "tint safe"?

What else are they handy for?

Thanks to all.

Steve
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magic Eraser?

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post

Why?

Are they "tint safe"?

Thanks to all.

Steve
    I use them on the outside of glass only. No need on inside and also, they are not tint safe. they would cloud the tint easily just as they would cloud paint on the outside if used there. I mainly use them with 3D Eraser Gel for removing water spots and completely cleaning the outside windows prior to my coating them.

In terms of what else they are good for on cars, I've used them to remove light scratches prior to corrections so that I don't have to break out wet sanding related items. M.E. Pads are less abrasive thus that's a great way to start attacking scratches prior to correction. If more is needed then I'll go 2000 grit, etc.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post

Why?

Are they "tint safe"?

Thanks to all.

Steve
    I have never used them on glass but I have used them on rubber and vinyl trim. They are excellent for removing wax or polish residue from plastic trim or vinyl. Just wet the eraser and a few rubs and the residue is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

No they are not tint safe as tint is just a plastic film. One thing to remember about magic eraser is that it is abrasive. As said above very much like a very fine sand paper. You would only want to use them where you would use a fine sand paper. They erase via abrasion. I have never used them on my car but around the house for me it is kind of a last resort thing. For example I had a super glue spill on my kitchen counter. Wiped it all up when wet but there was still some very minor spots that were streaked and so on. Tried pretty much everything and then finally magic eraser, it took it all off. Those areas in the right light are not quite as shiny as the rest of the counter, you can't feel it but only see it in the right light. So I am guessing it also sanded into what ever type of clear coating there is on counters.

Post Thanks / Like

Magic Eraser is a very hard Melamine Foam. Under a Microscope there's a latticework of millions of fibers.

Years ago, and from a audiophile I knew, his #1 use for ME was to clean a Diamond Stylus on a Phono Cartridge. And this is what I mainly use the product for.

The foam is so rock hard actually, that it will scrape the sides of the Stylus as it is dunked-cued into a small Cube of the product without damaging the Stylus, and without the use of any cleaning fluids needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks guys?
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Magic Eraser is a very hard Melamine Foam. Under a Microscope there's a latticework of millions of fibers.

Years ago, and from a audiophile I knew, his #1 use for ME was to clean a Diamond Stylus on a Phono Cartridge. And this is what I mainly use the product for.

The foam is so rock hard actually, that it will scrape the sides of the Stylus as it is dunked-cued into a small Cube of the product without damaging the Stylus, and without the use of any cleaning fluids needed.
    Had to look up what a phono cartridge is. I was never allowed to touch our record player as a kid. I've always heard old original vinyl records in perfect condition are the best sounding media?

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, depends. Older people, no offense to anyone, love it. Which I can understand. I had one when I was growing up but in my teens cassette tapes, and early 20s CD. Oh And older sister had 8 track. Record players have a warmer tone to them and older music does sound much better that way. Blues, jazz, that kind of stuff lends it self to a warm tone and hence yes does sound better. Even earlier rock. There is a mood that a record player can set which I think comes more with appreciation than anything. Much like a fine scotch. Someone used to drinking Jack Danielles doesn't have a refined pallet enough to appreciate the nose, mouth, and finish of a fine scotch. The same someone that listens to the Beyonce is not going to probably appreciate the multiple flavors and subtle qualities of a fine jazz or old rock or even Mowtown on vinyl record. Not to say they can't. I listen to Metallica and Eminem as well and I like their music. But some smooth jazz or Bob Segar, maybe some BB king will never sound as good in mp3 format as it will on vinyl. Hope that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Older people? The heck you say! It was also the quality of the record player and the speaker system that made for the great sound. Hendricks on a record always sounded better than on an 8 track or cassette or even a cd.