autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating has gone ? Clay bar to remove water spots ?

[QUOTE=Eldorado2k;1528163]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Nope, I didn't do anything. I just leave it be, they could be on there till the next time I wash the car and they come right off.
    So what's your LSP that prevents water spots from sprinklers?

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car had opticoat glass coating, now has water spots, does it means that coating has gone ? Clay bar to remove water spots ?

OP, if you have Opti Coat Pro, you should contact your authorized installer for help with removal.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benzw205 View Post
    Car was coated almost 2 years ago, but after cleaning the car without drying it, it now has water spots.
    Sorry I hope that I am clear enough, the car has coating on paint, I am not sure if its called glass coating but it's opticoat.

So after almost 2 years it must be gone ? And the reason why I have water spots ?

If claying the car is not enough, is it ok to use chemical AFTER ?
    The above is why you have water spots. Any water that is not filtered will spot. Coatings are not water spot proof. They can spot just like a wax or sealant.

Water spots are not an indication that the coating has failed. The incorrect washing is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    OP, if you have Opti Coat Pro, you should contact your authorized installer for help with removal.
    I agree with this. If it is Opti Coat Pro or Pro+ then contact your authorized installer.

If this was just opti-coat 2.0 (which is now Gloss Coat) then you can try something like Optimum MDR to remove the water spots. It may or may not work depending on how long the spots have been on the paint.

I would also start with a decon wash as Ron pointed out and then use MDR. If they are not gone by this point then polishing may be needed.

These are my notes from listening to the podcast episode Yvan and Dann speak about the chemical decon wash as well. It is around the 20 min mark.

Optimum Synergy Podcast: Questions and Answers from HQ, And Cory, Who Makes Fresh!

Here are the highlights.

Pre-Wash with ONR
    MDR at 3:1. Safe to use around glass and trim. Can be sprayed over the ONR surface. Let dwell for 3-5 mins. Do not let dry.
    Agitate if heavily contaminated by using a microfiber towel (plush towel/long nap) that has been soaked in the ONR bucket. Go around the entire vehicle with the towel on the ONR/MDR surface mix. Do not place the towel back into the ONR bucket.
    Power Clean at 3:1. Keep it off glass. Let it dwell for a couple minutes. Agitate with a microfiber towel soaked in ONR. Do not put towel back into ONR bucket.
    Rinse. Rinse with hose water.
    Ferrex. Can agitate with ONR damp microfiber
    Rinse. Final Rinse.

All steps do not have to be done. Depends on how contaminated the surface is.

I personally like use Ferrex as the first step on the dry paint even with dirt on the surface. The reason for this is to get the full performance out of it instead of being diluted with water on the surface. I will then rinse it with water to get all the ferrex off the surface. Then depending on the contaminants, I would either use power clean and/or MDR.

Start with ferrex first. That may be all you need to do. There is also the mechanical decon using the wash, clay, wax method.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ! What I am sure is that I won't do any of these ridiculous expensive coating anymore !
    When buying a brand new German car you feel guilty if you don't do it, but after few years you understand better what kind of scam it is !
    I am not thinking that a regular clay bar and wax is a lot better than useless coating scam !

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1528165]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

So what's your LSP that prevents water spots from sprinklers?
    In for answer

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ! What I am sure is that I won't do any of these ridiculous expensive coating anymore !
    When buying a brand new German car you feel guilty if you don't do it, but after few years you understand better what kind of scam it is !
    I am not thinking that a regular clay bar and wax is a lot better than useless coating scam !
    Ill try and address your frustration in an unbiased way. In your original post, you made this statement:

"Car was coated almost 2 years ago, but after cleaning the car without drying it, it now has water spots"

I never recommend cleaning a car and not drying it regardless if you have a coating, wax, etc. Even if you have deionized water. My hope is that you were not improperly educated on what a coating does and its job. You can water spot a coating just like you can water spot a vehicle with a wax or sealant.

Here is my recommendation:

- Notify your Authorized Installer and explain the situation. He/She has things to try and remove the spots from the coating. Optimum MDR would be the first thing to try. I can't tell you what he/she will charge.

- In the future, always dry your car. If you feel the need, send me a message and I will be happy to explain to you the rinseless method of washing I teach my customers, send you a link to the video I did, and even make other recommendations to help you in the future.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

A coating is not a scam as long as you maintain it properly.

Post Thanks / Like

For me paying a coating was a chance to forget to care the car for 2 years at least. So I will consider it a scam if I still have to care for it. If it's to have as many problems, better wax the car, it's a lot cheaper at least !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    Ill try and address your frustration in an unbiased way. In your original post, you made this statement:

"Car was coated almost 2 years ago, but after cleaning the car without drying it, it now has water spots"

I never recommend cleaning a car and not drying it regardless if you have a coating, wax, etc. Even if you have deionized water. My hope is that you were not improperly educated on what a coating does and its job. You can water spot a coating just like you can water spot a vehicle with a wax or sealant.

Here is my recommendation:

- Notify your Authorized Installer and explain the situation. He/She has things to try and remove the spots from the coating. Optimum MDR would be the first thing to try. I can't tell you what he/she will charge.

- In the future, always dry your car. If you feel the need, send me a message and I will be happy to explain to you the rinseless method of washing I teach my customers, send you a link to the video I did, and even make other recommendations to help you in the future.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't dry the car because many times I just wanted to clean birds poo and trees poo :-)
    I now know that I was wrong.
    Please share your links for the rinseless method ?
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

For me paying a coating was a chance to forget to care the car for 2 years at least. So I will consider it a scam if I still have to care for it. If it's to have as many problems, better wax the car, it's a lot cheaper at least !
    You were misinformed as coatings are not set and forget it. They still need maintaining.

If they were a set it and forget it, then we would all have coatings on our cars and never worry about any car care.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast