autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl remover suggestions

HD Speed and orange pad

Post Thanks / Like

First attempt with PC random orbital and Wolfgang swirl remover.
    As you can see in this first picture, the hood of my car was in terrible shape. I had it serviced at a small garage and it came back like this. They must have put stuff on my hood and dragged it around. I thought is was beyond repair. I purchased the polisher to remove swirl marks from my Infinity but thought I would test it out on my BMW.

Swirl remover suggestions-car-before-detailing-jpg

I probably have five or six hours into doing this hood but i am very happy with the results.
    Swirl remover suggestions-car-after-detailing-jpg

Now i have to do the entire car before i start on the Infinity. The Infinity is black and has many curved surfaces. I hope to have similar results on that car. Do the curved surfaces make polishing much more difficult?

Dave

2017 Toyota Tundra
    2013 M37S Infinity
    2007 BMW 335i convertible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crovello View Post
    As you can see in this first picture, the hood of my car was in terrible shape. I had it serviced at a small garage and it came back like this. They must have put stuff on my hood and dragged it around. I thought is was beyond repair. I purchased the polisher to remove swirl marks from my Infinity but thought I would test it out on my BMW.

I probably have five or six hours into doing this hood but i am very happy with the results.

Now i have to do the entire car before i start on the Infinity. The Infinity is black and has many curved surfaces. I hope to have similar results on that car. Do the curved surfaces make polishing much more difficult?

Dave
    It looks great Dave. I am also a fan of Wolfgang Swirl Remover and Porter Cable 7424XP. I thought that my midnight blue truck was beyond help. A lot of work and the Wolfgang products made the surface swirl free and slick. I topped it off with the Deep Gloss Sealant. After a week of sub zero temperatures and a lot of road salt, the truck is still swirl free and slick.
    The curved surfaces are a little more challenging. Just make sure that you use a 3-1/2" backing plate and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crovello View Post

Dave
    Nice job! One of the nice things about the PC, is that it isn't very powerful. If you put even the slightest bit too much pressure on it, the pad stops. As a newbie it really makes me think about pad pressure and my approach. I have an explorer (tons of curves) and with 5.5" pads I have to pay attention to it but I would imagine that would be the case with any polisher. It stops a lot more than it does on my truck. I made the switch from CCS pads to Thin pros and that helped a ton. Orange/white pads and McKee's 360 are my spring cleaning tools of choice. If I'm lucky, I get 6 hours to do my whole vehicle.

I really thought about going all in with a Boss or another long throw, but I'm glad I didn't. The PC is very forgiving and I've learned a lot. When it's time to upgrade, I'll put a 3" backing plate on it to help with the curved surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Nice job! One of the nice things about the PC, is that it isn't very powerful. If you put even the slightest bit too much pressure on it, the pad stops. As a newbie it really makes me think about pad pressure and my approach. I have an explorer (tons of curves) and with 5.5" pads I have to pay attention to it but I would imagine that would be the case with any polisher. It stops a lot more than it does on my truck. I made the switch from CCS pads to Thin pros and that helped a ton. Orange/white pads and McKee's 360 are my spring cleaning tools of choice. If I'm lucky, I get 6 hours to do my whole vehicle.

I really thought about going all in with a Boss or another long throw, but I'm glad I didn't. The PC is very forgiving and I've learned a lot. When it's time to upgrade, I'll put a 3" backing plate on it to help with the curved surfaces.
    Don't worry about that pad stall. With time, you can get that PC to dance on the paint. I've had it save my rear a bunch of times, but keeping that pad flat is integral to it's effectiveness.

I use a 1st gen too, which is even less powerful. If things get bad, I can slap on a Purple Thin Foamed Wool, or microfiber pad, and really do some chopping. I can even comfortably use sanding discs if needed, and remove them with that one tool. It's also very reliable, built like a tank.

If you ever get the chance, try some Lake Country Hydrotech pads with it. I consider them a treat to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Your truck looks great. Nice job!

I have had issues with pad stall but that gets me to pay attention to pressure. For a beginner like me, it is probably a good thing it is not super powerful.

I have a cabinet shop and have many powerful random orbital sanders. Cant imagine using something that powerful on car paint. Would probably do more damage than good. It is amazing how much faster a high end sander will cut through wood compared to a standard sander like a porta cable. Can do damage if you don't know what your doing.

Dave

2017 Toyota Tundra
    2013 M37S Infinity
    2007 BMW 335i convertible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12