autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dog drool.... Help!

So, we have a big drooly dog. He has gotten his drool on the plastic and vinyl inside on the back doors of my fiancée's Kia Sportage. She keeps Lysol wipes in her car to deal with his everyday messes, but it's like the drool has really set into the texture of the doors. I've tried soap and water, CG AllClean+, and CG Innerclean.

The drool is still not giving up.

What else can I try?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dog drool.... Help!

Wd40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I can't state that Cfehl if right or wrong, however, if it were one of my customers vehicles, I would not use WD-40.

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[11] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil.
    Typically most customers do not want an oily substance left on their vehicle.

I would suggest an APC in a 4:1 ratio, or a specific vinyl/leather cleaner. The two I use are:

- McKee's 37 Hi Density APC. I keep two mixes, one in a 10:1 and the other in a 4:1 followed up by;
    - Pinnacle Vinyl / Leather Cleaner

For really bad dog drool/slobber I usually have to break out the Tornador with a 4:1 apc solution.

I don't have personal experience with CG products, others have mentioned they are hit or miss.

As a dog owner myself, I know it's difficult to keep area where the dog travels spotless.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I obviously try and clean the drool asap once the dogs are out of the vehicle.
    If I do find some old drool that's being stubborn, I use BlackFire APC. It seems to work well.

If it's really bad, try a brush with it to get in the texture of the interior.

Good luck!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree lsnautodetailing it is all about the customer, the dog drool has to be pretty bad, Dont spray directly on the vinyl or plastic but a light dusting onto a Mf and 10 min will break up the moisture. I have several customers w/ Beethoven's that drool everywhere and I have tried every product known to man. But it's all about preference. I also don't have a tornador, I would probably use that but i'm mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I love dog drool, go the APC route with a scrubee sponge.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen what I believe is etching on plastic interior panels and on paint from dog slobber on several customers vehicles.

I also had the etching happen on two different Subaru rear door panels.

The reason I believe it is etching is because I could not remove them and never could really conceal them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm thinking it might be... I'll try something more aggressive, maybe the WD40 lmao. It's a 2017, too, so it's sad to see a brand new car in such poor shape. Darn pets!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO I would not use wd40.

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyBacon View Post
    That's what I'm thinking it might be... I'll try something more aggressive, maybe the WD40 lmao. It's a 2017, too, so it's sad to see a brand new car in such poor shape. Darn pets!
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert in removing it. The best thing I can tell you though once you have it removed is protection. When I got my new truck on order the first thing I did was order all the new protection stuff for my pooch. I love him, he goes everywhere with me, but I don't let him ruin the truck.

First thing I applied on the interior everywhere McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle’s interior. In addition to protectants, McKee's 37 Interior Surface

Then every month at least I give it a cleaning with McKee's 37 Total Interior Cleaner cleans plastic, vinyl, leather, carpet, and upholstery without harsh solvents or caustic chemicals. and reaaply the protectant.

However, the inside is also protected by first a full set of weather tech floor mats. Any hair that dies get down there is easy to get off those. Very little of the carpet is exposed. Then we start with really good protection.

He has a seatbelt system, I prefer Kurgo, the new metal ones are crash rated. This does confine him to one side of the back seat.

For the side he is on I use an nice door protector.
    Car Door Protectors / Interior Car Door Protectors -- Orvis

Then a high quality Hammock
    Windowed Dog Hammock Car Seat Protector / Windowed Hammock Seat Protector -- Orvis

Yes Orvis is expensive. How much do you spend on exterior protection. Same thing here you get what you pay for. These are all waterproof and washable. My dog, a labrador, who we go swimming, mudding, snow adventures, rain or shine. Once a month and seriously only once a month I pull everything out. I spent about 20 minutes cleaning, not including the time his covers are in the wash, and everything is near perfect in there. Nothing every touches the seats nor the carpets. The orvis stuff is easy and easy out and built to last.

A lot of people don't like the hammocks, because what if the dog falls in the gap. Then you get this back seat extender.
    Dog Travel Accessory / Solid Foam Microfiber Backseat Extender -- Orvis

I have custom interior from the factory, It is awesome, sure the back seat is covered up, but my dog goes with me everywhere, he is in my vehicle at least 5 times a week. However it only takes about 20 minutes to have the truck interior spotless if I need the back seat for other guests and I am planning on it.

Make the pooches happy, keep the car/truck looking like new. Sorry know you asked for help cleaning it, but keeping it clean goes a long way. I mean we do it with the exterior, do it wiht the interior.

Here is what the full set up looks which in not totally unappealing.

And the happy man all seat belted in ready to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast