autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering giving up traditional washes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Sometimes it gets so hot outside that after a wash it can take the paint (depending on color) 30-60 mins to cool down.
    [/URL]
    30-60 min? What? Just today I was working on black paint on a super hot day in direct sunlight once it was dry from the initial wash...

I moved the car into the shade to begin polishing and it was cool within 5min.

IME it never takes more than 5min. or so for a panel to be completely cool to the touch once it's moved out of the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Considering giving up traditional washes

Not sure of the name of the method, but I've begun using several mitts in one bucket, use the mitt and toss into an empty bucket.
    Both for regular wash and RW. Much faster, less swirling, need to fill only 1 bucket w/solution no filling a rinse bucket.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    30-60 min? What? Just today I was working on black paint on a super hot day in direct sunlight once it was dry from the initial wash...

I moved the car into the shade to begin polishing and it was cool within 5min.

IME it never takes more than 5min. or so for a panel to be completely cool to the touch once it's moved out of the sun.
    130 in "direct sunlight" is not hot at all for black paint.

Black paint can get up to 165-190 in direct sunlight.

If the customer has been driving the vehicle all day, The hood from the engine is even hotter. In my experience a hood from a hot engine takes alot longer than 5 mins to cool down.

If the customer drops off a car morning or afternoon time the lowest temp here in south florida is usually around 85 a hot day is 90+

After bringing it in a 73 degree shop and doing a rinseless the hood is still hot, fenders are hot. The rest of the car not so much but still warm. I let the car completley cool.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    130 in "direct sunlight" is not hot at all for black paint.
    [/URL]
    The sun had just beearly came out... I took the temperature real quik and wasted no time moving the car, because I already knew there was no way I would be polishing that car in the sun.

But for it to drop 50 degrees in less than 5min. is pretty dramatic... I'll do some more tests today on my black fabric top. I pretty much go through the same process with it everytime I decide to deep clean it. It's in the sun and it's usually about 140 degrees... I move it under the shade and it cools down to 70's in less than 5min.

I'm also going to see that black Mercedes in just a bit because I'm going to detail another vehicle there and will try to test it again if I have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Well we've been living in apartments for the past 6 years and I've been using RW and WW's almost exclusively, couple touch frees here and there. Recently I got myself a Worx PowerShot and I'm really enjoying the old style wash again. It's fun using this less powerful powerwasher but it gets the job done! Cleaning the tires, wheels and wells is much easier too because in the past I've used a 2 gallon hand pump.

So now, it's going to depend upon which situation I'm in but having this new toy is a lot of funConsidering giving up traditional washes

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well we've been living in apartments for the past 6 years and I've been using RW and WW's almost exclusively, couple touch frees here and there. Recently I got myself a Worx PowerShot and I'm really enjoying the old style wash again. It's fun using this less powerful powerwasher but it gets the job done! Cleaning the tires, wheels and wells is much easier too because in the past I've used a 2 gallon hand pump.

So now, it's going to depend upon which situation I'm in but having this new toy is a lot of funConsidering giving up traditional washes

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking of getting one of those after watching some videos from dallas paint correction, and using distilled water for the final rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the definitive thread for a how to for RW?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Where's the definitive thread for a how to for RW?
    I'm not sure about definitive, since it seems like some people vary how they personally do a rinseless wash, but this is the method I use;

https://youtu.be/JFAD1Gm19ks

I'm not super aware of the rules surrounding YouTube links, so if that's inappropriate I apologize.

I've seen people presoak their cars with a waterless wash instead of rinseless solution if it's dirtier than they're comfortable with, but in my experience I don't get much if any marring from the GDWM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123