autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Convert PC 7424XP to 3", or buy Griot's 3"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Hey Russ!

Do your self a favor. Convert your PC7424XP to a 3" DA and get the GG6". Don't waste your time with the GG3". I had one and gave it away to a local AGO member. The GG3" has no power, is loud, gets very hot and can barely correct anything unless you are on speed setting 6. Additionally, the size difference compared to the PC was insignificant. That is my experience with the GG3. Others may have had a better experience I don't know. But spend the extra $50 - $60 difference and get the GG6". You will not be disappointed.

I upgraded to a Flex 3401 and converted my PC into a 1" to 4" Mini DA and LSP applicator. I prefer this as my LSP applicator and the Flex is for correcting/polishing. My guess you would want to do the same thing with the GG6.

One very important thing that MUST NOT be overlooked is that if something goes wrong with your GG6 you can have your PC7424 XP be your back-up DA if something happens. It happened to me about 2 years ago. I really thrash my Flex (dropped it several times STUPID ME) and the trigger controller DIED on me in a middle of a detail. I converted my PC7424XP back to a 5" DA and finished the detail. Once I got the part from a Flex distributor I repaied the Flex and went back to the previous set-up.

I will guarantee you that you could not have a back up DA with the GG3". I have enclosed a couple of pics on my conversion from a 1" to a 3" DA with my PC. I had the Flex PE-8 Kompakt but sold it because I felt more comfortable with the set up of the PC7424XP. Here are a couple of old photos with the set-up I was describing with the PC7424XP. NOTE: The PE-8 and PC were about the same size.
    Thanks for the 1st hand input. Also, that's an excellent point about the backup DA. I hadn't thought of that!! I'm definitely going to go with the GG6. This forum is awesome
    Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that most backing plates <3" are for rotary polishers but I'm not understanding why the extension would be needed w/ a 'normal' DA 3" backplate. Is there something about the PC that needs it? I already have a std. 3" plate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post
    I realize that most backing plates <3" are for rotary polishers but I'm not understanding why the extension would be needed w/ a 'normal' DA 3" backplate. Is there something about the PC that needs it? I already have a std. 3" plate
    There is really no need for the smaller BP as I have used the 2" BP on my PC7424XP only 1 time. I was working on a Motorcyle and the areas are tight. I basically have my PC7424XP set up with the 3" BP and use that most of the time. These were old pics and wanted to show that you can set up your PC7424XP with a 1" BP all the way up to 5" pretty easy. Additionally, you could do the same with the GG6" too as the PC and GG6 share the same types of BP.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have both and find it usefull when polishing.

The 3" with Thin Pro Pads does a very good job (does get a little warm when running longer times).

I try not to exceed each machines limits.

Don't try to polish out the whole car with the 3" (the PC does that better).

I tried 3" on the PC and found it top heavy and harder to control than I felt comfortable with.

The smaller 3" is also my waxing machine of choice.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I have both and find it usefull when polishing.

The 3" with Thin Pro Pads does a very good job (does get a little warm when running longer times).

I try not to exceed each machines limits.

Don't try to polish out the whole car with the 3" (the PC does that better).

I tried 3" on the PC and found it top heavy and harder to control than I felt comfortable with.

The smaller 3" is also my waxing machine of choice.
    Good to know, thanks! I'm going to go ahead with the GG6 and convert the PC to a 3" for now. If I find it to be top heavy then I'll make a change down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have a GG3 on order right now. I do not intend to use it for production polishing. I bought it for wax application, restoring headlights, polishing glass and general use in tight spots. I have a 7424XP and BOSS G21 for bigger stuff. I hardly use the 7424XP anymore since getting the G21, though. I do have a 3" BP for it but it is not optimal. I wanted something smaller and lighter and Mike P. convinced me to try the GG3. I like the idea of one handed wax application with a lighter DA because it will save my back when my arms are fully extended.

This is just my own requirements and preferences. Yours may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I have a GG3 on order right now. I do not intend to use it for production polishing. I bought it for wax application, restoring headlights, polishing glass and general use in tight spots. I have a 7424XP and BOSS G21 for bigger stuff. I hardly use the 7424XP anymore since getting the G21, though. I do have a 3" BP for it but it is not optimal. I wanted something smaller and lighter and Mike P. convinced me to try the GG3. I like the idea of one handed wax application with a lighter DA because it will save my back when my arms are fully extended.

This is just my own requirements and preferences. Yours may vary.
    I completely get what you're saying about the lighter polisher, especially if you're using it a lot. I'm very interested to hear people's reviews after getting to use the thin pads on the GG3.

I think part of what tipped the scale for me was that I've hear such great things about the GG6 I'm very curious if it's better than the 7427xp. And like Kamakaz pointed out, I'll have a backup DA

Post Thanks / Like

It is not better than the PC, it is just easier to control.
    Use the proper pad and tool combination and should have good results.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

After I bought a Flex, I converted my PC7424 to use predominantly with 3" pads. The Flex has saved me tons of time over the PC, but the PC works great with 3" pads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12