autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

new D166 AIO has some serious issues

new D166 AIO has some serious issues-img_4157-jpg

The first few times I tried D166 Ultra Polishing Wax on medium and hard paints I noticed a small amount sweating but because D166 looked fine (like banana pudding) I assumed it had to be from my pad somehow not being completely dry.

In the past week I've experimented with D166 on numerous other paints, and on different types of pads and machines. On any type of single stage paint on a ferrari or soft porsche paint it was a disaster. As you can see in the photo I took today while polishing a 1991 camaro with a new pad, the moisture in D166 was escaping the emulsion makes my pads soaking wet and the product impossible to work with. No matter if I use a few small pea sized drops or applied it heavy like mike phillips recommends when using cleaner waxes.

I contacted the distributor I purchased it from(before AG had it in stock) and he immediately contacted 4 of the Meguiar's Product Training reps he works with to let them know about my issue and to check and see if I just received a bad batch.

Turns out, all of them had similar experiences with D166 and have experienced this phenomenon on softer paints and especially single stage paints where so much water escapes the emulsion that D166 is virtually unusable. Some of the trainers said they had the problem when using a firm pad while others said the problem only occurs on some paints. They also said there is no point in sending me a new gallon because they all have experienced issue in their testing as well.

In Conclusion, I was extremely excited about D166 because I work on primarily classic cars with single stage paint and HD Speed has been a godsend. The only times I've been able to effectively use D166 was on my mom's 2017 chrysler mini-van and my 2017 Ram big horn. I did not experience hardly any "sweating" on either vehicle.

If you intended to replace HD Speed with D166 for final polishing on soft black paint, for 1-steps on softer paints, or want to use it on single stage paints, you'll be sorely disappointed with it's performance. Even though I know Meguiars has the resources, I feel they didn't allocate enough of those resources into testing on different paint types.

All that said, if you work primarily on modern cars with normal and hard clear coat and prefer soft foam pads, D166 is cost effective and should certainly meet/exceed your expectations as a cleaner wax/AIO.

Love,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new D166 AIO has some serious issues

I am really sorry to hear about your experience and I am glad you posted this. The only thing I question, which has nothing to do with D166 is why you are using a one step on such high end cars. Those types of vehicles deserve at least a one step polish and then individual wax/seal/ coating "if clear coated".

Again, I am not bashing you or your process. I understand some owners are very cheap when it comes to maintaining high end cars. However, why bother using a one step on cars of the caliber you are talking about? "Porsche, Ferrari, etc" Single stage paint is a whole different beast/process compared to clear coated vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Mind naming names? Who are these "training reps"?? And the distributor? Your last few post praised 166. Now this?
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Your last few post praised 166. Now this?
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with him or anyone else being honest and sharing their experiences with a product... Just like everything else in life, things aren't always peachy, but detailed info [both good and bad] goes a long way in helping others if they run into a similar situation down the road...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for giving an honest opinion.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    new D166 AIO has some serious issues-img_4157-jpg

The first few times I tried D166 Ultra Polishing Wax on medium and hard paints I noticed a small amount sweating but because D166 looked fine (like banana pudding) I assumed it had to be from my pad somehow not being completely dry.

In the past week I've experimented with D166 on numerous other paints, and on different types of pads and machines. On any type of single stage paint on a ferrari or soft porsche paint it was a disaster. As you can see in the photo I took today while polishing a 1991 camaro with a new pad, the moisture in D166 was escaping the emulsion makes my pads soaking wet and the product impossible to work with. No matter if I use a few small pea sized drops or applied it heavy like mike phillips recommends when using cleaner waxes.

I contacted the distributor I purchased it from(before AG had it in stock) and he immediately contacted 4 of the Meguiar's Product Training reps he works with to let them know about my issue and to check and see if I just received a bad batch.

Turns out, all of them had similar experiences with D166 and have experienced this phenomenon on softer paints and especially single stage paints where so much water escapes the emulsion that D166 is virtually unusable. Some of the trainers said they had the problem when using a firm pad while others said the problem only occurs on some paints. They also said there is no point in sending me a new gallon because they all have experienced issue in their testing as well.

In Conclusion, I was extremely excited about D166 because I work on primarily classic cars with single stage paint and HD Speed has been a godsend. The only times I've been able to effectively use D166 was on my mom's 2017 chrysler mini-van and my 2017 Ram big horn. I did not experience hardly any "sweating" on either vehicle.

If you intended to replace HD Speed with D166 for final polishing on soft black paint, for 1-steps on softer paints, or want to use it on single stage paints, you'll be sorely disappointed with it's performance. Even though I know Meguiars has the resources, I feel they didn't allocate enough of those resources into testing on different paint types.

All that said, if you work primarily on modern cars with normal and hard clear coat and prefer soft foam pads, D166 is cost effective and should certainly meet/exceed your expectations as a cleaner wax/AIO.

Love,
    Matt
    Thanks for the heads up, Matt. This is important to know and will save us time if we were to see the same thing!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

Mike Phillips

When you see tiny drops of water appear as you use the product that's called,

Sweating

I've seen this with Meguiars M21 as well as SONAX compounds and polishes.

Maybe they didn't do any field testing on old school single stage paints?

I've only used it on basecoat/clearcoat paints so far, my truck, a repainted BMW and a demo hood and have to say, on these 3 things it worked really well.

Meguiars needs to see and read your experience and feedback you've shared in this thread, maybe Nick Winn Mike Stoops or even Mike Pennington can chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

i have this happen with the rupes green polish, on every car, the stuff works great but slings like a mad man

Post Thanks / Like

What's it called when you buff all the wax residue off the car then take it out in the sun and all the residue reappears? I thought that was sweating?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast