autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Super soft paint - BC/CC Black

Could use some advice with this paint. I have a 1970 Plymouth that was repainted with U-Tech base coat/clear coat (Black). The paint is 11 years old but gets almost no exposure to elements other than the sun, as it's primary function is a show car.

It has what I would consider the softest paint I've ever seen. I can't wipe a quality microfiber towel across it without putting scratches in it. In the past I've used a rotary buffer with 3M white and black foam pads and 3M swirl remover followed by 3M final glaze, then paste wax. It doesn't last long and I'm back to scratches in no time.

I will take any advice on how/what to use to help remove the scratches/swirls and keep them off longer.

I have at my disposal: Rotary buffer, 3M wht/blk foam pads, Rupes BF 21 with all pads and compounds/polishes, Rupes mini with the same as above, HF DA with 6" LC orange/yellow/blue/wht and gold pads, Wolfgang compound, swirl remover, polishing glaze, sealant, all in one, 3D HD speed, and 3M swirl remover, final glaze.

Tried several test spots yesterday and non of them looked good (to me). This is my personal car and I'll spend 24 hours a day on it to get it perfect if I have to.

Thanks for any help
    Bill

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Super soft paint - BC/CC Black

Have you considered hand polishing? I'm an old guy that did a lot of custom/show painting in my earlier years and I always finished my best most expensive paint jobs by hand. To this day I probably do more hand polishing than most.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Have you considered hand polishing? I'm an old guy that did a lot of custom/show painting in my earlier years and I always finished my best most expensive paint jobs by hand. To this day I probably do more hand polishing than most.
    Yeah, I've always finished this car off with hand application of final wax. I still get scratches/swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

HyperPolish on a finishing pad. I recommend it on extremely soft black Porche paint that the individual like you had tried about everything it took finished out great. I would probably use the HF DA, it seems to me it didn't like the long throw.
    I realize you don't have it, but it wouldn't be the first time it solved this kind of problem.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    I'm willing to give anything a try at this point.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Scholls S30 is the about the best there is for soft paint. Polish only. If you're looking for a combo AIO that can then be topped off, I recently used and really like the Sonax Paint Cleaner. Finished out this Pure Black 911 excellently.

That said, I'd likely still do Scholls and a paint coating. A good coating will reduce to near eliminate any micro-marring from that point forward. Do two coats and use a handful of larger 40cm suede cloths to remove it. No lint, super soft and can be re-used. Just drop them into a bucket of 3D Towel clean once you use them and move onto a clean one.

Audi paint has similar properties. Hard to fully correct but easy to micro-marr. Mine is Brilliant Black aka pure black so I'm speaking from experience.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Scholls S30 is the about the best there is for soft paint. Polish only. If you're looking for a combo AIO that can then be topped off, I recently used and really like the Sonax Paint Cleaner. Finished out this Pure Black 911 excellently.

That said, I'd likely still do Scholls and a paint coating. A good coating will reduce to near eliminate any micro-marring from that point forward. Do two coats and use a handful of larger 40cm suede cloths to remove it. No lint, super soft and can be re-used. Just drop them into a bucket of 3D Towel clean once you use them and move onto a clean one.

Audi paint has similar properties. Hard to fully correct but easy to micro-marr. Mine is Brilliant Black aka pure black so I'm speaking from experience.
    pdqgp,
    That Porsche looks amazing! Your before pics look just like my Cuda, looks good from 6' away and horrible up close.

What pad and polisher (DA or Rotary) combo did you use with the Sonax cleaner? And what pad and polisher combo would you use with the Scholl S30?

I would love to try a ceramic coating on this car if I could get it defect free but haven't achieved that yet, or applied any ceramic coatings yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked on a number of soft finishes lately (aftermarket repaints and imports). What I experience is that soft clear coat sometimes likes a firm pad with low cut and a fine polish. A Lake Country Hybrid Force white pad and Meguiar's M205 is a great combination to cut with a Flex 3401. Consider a firm pad and a mild abrasive product.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try a MF pad or carpro gloss pad with essence and then go to UK or tiO2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cool70cuda View Post
    pdqgp,
    That Porsche looks amazing! Your before pics look just like my Cuda, looks good from 6' away and horrible up close.

What pad and polisher (DA or Rotary) combo did you use with the Sonax cleaner? And what pad and polisher combo would you use with the Scholl S30?

I would love to try a ceramic coating on this car if I could get it defect free but haven't achieved that yet, or applied any ceramic coatings yet.

Thank you. On this one I used Green Hex Logic Pads with the Sonax. I really like them as they are IMO perfect for AIO products and just firm enough to cut yet not so firm that they would leave any marring here. My polisher system is a Flex 3401. Especially on 911's where curves are abundant.

With Scholls on something really soft, I'd use a white pad and I slow the buffer down to 4.5 to 5 in speed. Works great on both Subaru's and Honda's which tend to be soft.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast