autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

VERY stubborn smoke smell. Please help!

Good morning everyone. I'll try to make this as short as possible. I bought a 2006 4Runner and its pretty apparent it was owned by a smoker. Its not the worst thing I've ever smelled but its definitely noticeable. The dealership did a fairly good job of cleaning all the glass, leather seats, and dash etc but the carpets were awful. Had a brown haze everywhere from what I assume was cigarette smoke. So I brought it home thinking I could tackle what was left with no problem.

First thing I did was install a completely new headliner, thinking I'd kill two birds with one stone. The original had scuff marks all over it etc and I got a good quote from the trim shop, and I knew most of the smell would probably be in that. So I got it back, and couldn't tell much difference in the odor. So I started off, replaced the cabin filter, gave all the glass, dash, consoles, and seats a good clean, cleaned and conditioned the leather seats, and rented a carpet shampooer, removed the front seats and fully cleaned all the carpet. They were disgusting. I went over the whole vehicle twice and the water in the tank was still pure black. I then sprinkled baking soda over all the carpets, and finished it off with an ozone machine for 2 hours.

That was 2 weeks ago and I can hardly tell any difference. Its almost like there a handful of cigarette butts stuffed somewhere that I can't find. What's weird is I literally press my nose into the seats, headliner, and carpet and can't really detect the smell coming from them. I've sniffed around numerous places and can't find a source. The AC blows clean and odorless so I can't see it being in there either. I can definitely tell its not coming from anywhere in the rear, its only faint in the middle row, and its strongest up front. I've aired it out for 2 to 3 days and it smells good then, but overnight once I pull it back into the garage and roll the windows up its back. I'm at a loss. I promised my wife I could get this odor out and I'm losing lol. She doesn't even want to drive the car because of it.

Now, a couple of things that I noticed and I want some feedback on it:

1. Should I have kept shampooing until the water was basically clear? If it was still black after 2 passes, its probably still dirty

2. I'm beginning to think the ozone machine I used was faulty. All the reviews I read said the vehicle smelled strongly of a bleach/chlorine odor for up to a week after use. I opened the door immediately after it ran and could hardly tell anything was different. I'm going to try a different machine.

3. It just occurred to me that I did not clean the seatbelts or the visors, but I can't see them stinking up the whole vehicle.

What else can I check guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VERY stubborn smoke smell. Please help!

Cigarette smoke can be stubborn, but it is doable. You replaced the head-liner which is good. Are the seats fabric or leather? Have you tried using a carpet extractor on the carpets and seats?

Use a good extractor pre-treatment, let that dwell, then extract. Using a Tornador with 10:1 of a good APC to clean the plastics, blast it into the vents, doors and seatbelts.

CarPro has a product called So2Pure. I used it once on a smoke filled Ford Ranger, like you the owner purchased used and she was very sensitive to cigarette odor, when she came back to get the car she said she could not smell it any more. I called her three weeks later to check in and she said she still couldn't smell it.

CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml.

For glass, here is a good article by Mike: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...s-cleaner.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Cigarette smoke can be stubborn, but it is doable. You replaced the head-liner which is good. Are the seats fabric or leather? Have you tried using a carpet extractor on the carpets and seats?

Use a good extractor pre-treatment, let that dwell, then extract. Using a Tornador with 10:1 of a good APC to clean the plastics, blast it into the vents, doors and seatbelts.

CarPro has a product called So2Pure. I used it once on a smoke filled Ford Ranger, like you the owner purchased used and she was very sensitive to cigarette odor, when she came back to get the car she said she could not smell it any more. I called her three weeks later to check in and she said she still couldn't smell it.

CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml.

For glass, here is a good article by Mike: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...s-cleaner.html
    Hi there. The seats are leather. I did use an extractor on the carpets, but like I mentioned, after 2 passes it was still sucking completely brown water so I'm wondering if I should have went over it more. I'm fairly confident the glass is spotless. I cleaned it all very well and there is no visible residue and I'm no longer picking up evidence on the towel.

Post Thanks / Like

VERY stubborn smoke smell. Please help!

Yup, I was going to say the seatbelts. Pull them out and hold them out with strong clips so you can clean them... Then once they're dry leave them out but inside the vehicle while you open up a can on this:

Follow the directions on the box and I think you'll get results.
    I also think you should've kept going for more if the water was still extracting brown..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jta98z View Post
    Good morning everyone. I'll try to make this as short as possible. I bought a 2006 4Runner and its pretty apparent it was owned by a smoker. Its not the worst thing I've ever smelled but its definitely noticeable. The dealership did a fairly good job of cleaning all the glass, leather seats, and dash etc but the carpets were awful. Had a brown haze everywhere from what I assume was cigarette smoke. So I brought it home thinking I could tackle what was left with no problem.

First thing I did was install a completely new headliner, thinking I'd kill two birds with one stone. The original had scuff marks all over it etc and I got a good quote from the trim shop, and I knew most of the smell would probably be in that. So I got it back, and couldn't tell much difference in the odor. So I started off, replaced the cabin filter, gave all the glass, dash, consoles, and seats a good clean, cleaned and conditioned the leather seats, and rented a carpet shampooer, removed the front seats and fully cleaned all the carpet. They were disgusting. I went over the whole vehicle twice and the water in the tank was still pure black. I then sprinkled baking soda over all the carpets, and finished it off with an ozone machine for 2 hours.

That was 2 weeks ago and I can hardly tell any difference. Its almost like there a handful of cigarette butts stuffed somewhere that I can't find. What's weird is I literally press my nose into the seats, headliner, and carpet and can't really detect the smell coming from them. I've sniffed around numerous places and can't find a source. The AC blows clean and odorless so I can't see it being in there either. I can definitely tell its not coming from anywhere in the rear, its only faint in the middle row, and its strongest up front. I've aired it out for 2 to 3 days and it smells good then, but overnight once I pull it back into the garage and roll the windows up its back. I'm at a loss. I promised my wife I could get this odor out and I'm losing lol. She doesn't even want to drive the car because of it.

Now, a couple of things that I noticed and I want some feedback on it:

1. Should I have kept shampooing until the water was basically clear? If it was still black after 2 passes, its probably still dirty

2. I'm beginning to think the ozone machine I used was faulty. All the reviews I read said the vehicle smelled strongly of a bleach/chlorine odor for up to a week after use. I opened the door immediately after it ran and could hardly tell anything was different. I'm going to try a different machine.

3. It just occurred to me that I did not clean the seatbelts or the visors, but I can't see them stinking up the whole vehicle.

What else can I check guys?
    One word zapper spray. Google it works great.Or there is a product called fog from hi-tech industries. Its not a fogger but comes in a tin can.Dealers buy cases of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultrashield spray based out of ft Lauderdale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Ultrashield spray based out of ft Lauderdale.
    I googled it. The only thing that comes up is insecticide for animals...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jta98z View Post
    Its almost like there a handful of cigarette butts stuffed somewhere that I can't find.
    I had a stubborn smoke smell and I found a small pile of smokeless tobacco from a spilled dip cup.

You just may have a cig butt still hidden somewhere.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I googled it. The only thing that comes up is insecticide for animals...
    Sorry smell zapper 35.00 at amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had GREAT luck with the Dakota No-Smoke that is sold here on AG and at ACC. I havent had to fog a car yet just spray the smoky headliner, seats, carpets, and trunk then shut it in for a day or 2. Kills smoke smell, I would imagine the fogger option would be MUCH better. One note is that the No-Smoke has its own very strong smell that my not be too user friendly lol
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast