autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: VERY stubborn smoke smell. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    You are correct that you want it sealed up. Ozone is heavier than air and will stack up in the vehicle as it fills the interior. The fresh air part is from the source. What I like to do is set the machine just outside the vehicle with a flexible dryer hose connecting the front of the machine to the window via a cardboard vent that allows for the ozone to pump into the vehicle and the machine to breathe fresh air doing so.

Attachment 59899

It's going to take 2-3 cycles of 1hr each to completely disinfect and clear any odors for good. Run it for an hour, vent it for a bit, then run it again, air it out, etc. I also tend to do at least one cycle with the HVAC going in high on hot and another on high / cold.
    Hmm. I don't really have a way of connecting a hose like that to mine. I guess I'll just have to make do. I really think the one I bought was busted though. It literally didn't do a thing. I couldn't even smell where it had ran. I've returned it and am trying another one.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait so Derrick wasn't correct with all that info? He certainly had me totally convinced. I know jack squat about ozone machines and how they work, but I was a believer in what he was preaching... I was even about to give him some props for dropping knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jta98z View Post
    Hmm. I don't really have a way of connecting a hose like that to mine. I guess I'll just have to make do. I really think the one I bought was busted though. It literally didn't do a thing. I couldn't even smell where it had ran. I've returned it and am trying another one.
    You should know instantly if it's working. If you can't smell it, then for sure it's not working. I run mine in our two upstairs bathrooms after cleaning them on the weekends and it fills the room very very quickly.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ozone is very noticeable right away if it's a working machine !

I will put mine in the vehicle and shut it in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

How much are these ozone machines?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Wait so Derrick wasn't correct with all that info? He certainly had me totally convinced. I know jack squat about ozone machines and how they work, but I was a believer in what he was preaching... I was even about to give him some props for dropping knowledge.
    ozone machines needs a fresh supply of oxygen to continue making ozone. The ozone machine with the duct work has all the oxygen it needs to make ozone because it is OUTSIDE of the car. If your ozone generator is INSIDE the car leave one window cracked so it can continue getting oxygen and making ozone. Here's a link : https://www.odorfreemachines.com/car-odor-removal/

Read it and learn how an ozone generator works.

Look under the "Solutions" Area in the first paragraph.

It would be stupid of me to TRY and sound like I know what I'm talking about. I only care to give proven, factual knowledge, which is the reason for this forum.
    Last edited by Derrick; 09-01-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: clarity
    We intensify every color of the spectrum.
    "If it doesn't shine, we didn't do it!"

Post Thanks / Like

Ozone is a sanitizer. It will react with numerous items but its main intended victim is carbon. Guess what the biggest natural ozone generator is? Once you understand how it works, understanding an ozone generator is easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I've never read anything about leaving the windows cracked, in fact I seem to read the opposite. You want it sealed up as much as possible.

Also, what sort of damage are you referring to?
    I forgot to ask what type of generator do you have? If it the one that is placed TOTALLY INSIDE the car, with the cord going through the window, then you must leave the window cracked so it can get a fresh supply of oxygen(O2) and convert it into ozone(O3).

If yours uses ductwork, as shown in pdqgp's picture, then you need to seal the windows because the ozone generator is OUTSIDE the vehicle and is able to get the all the oxygen it needs to make ozone.
    Last edited by Derrick; 09-01-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: misspelled words and clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    You are correct that you want it sealed up. Ozone is heavier than air and will stack up in the vehicle as it fills the interior. The fresh air part is from the source. What I like to do is set the machine just outside the vehicle with a flexible dryer hose connecting the front of the machine to the window via a cardboard vent that allows for the ozone to pump into the vehicle and the machine to breathe fresh air doing so.

Attachment 59899

It's going to take 2-3 cycles of 1hr each to completely disinfect and clear any odors for good. Run it for an hour, vent it for a bit, then run it again, air it out, etc. I also tend to do at least one cycle with the HVAC going in high on hot and another on high / cold.
    I like your way when using an ozone generator. The ones that are placed in the car are not my favorite for use in a vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

You had a box type unit that you placed INSIDE the car. If you would have cracked a window a few of inches that smoke smell would have been attacked by the ozone that generator made and destroyed.

You had a good ozone generator but tried to get rid of smoke smell with an ozone generator WITHOUT a fresh supply of oxygen, which is basically like trying to kill a rattlesnake with a pistol WITHOUT bullets.

THROW THE PISTOL at it and run! LOL!

Unfortunately, that's what you did. You threw an empty pistol at that smoke smell.
    Last edited by Derrick; 09-01-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast