autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many passes to take off a coating?

Say you are using jescar finishing polish and a black finishing pad?

Are we talking closer to 1 pass or 7 (full cycle)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many passes to take off a coating?

I can take Choose nanotech 9H coating out with two passes of Rupes UHS, I know it's all off because it's on an over apply area which darker than the rest. The stain coating area was there for over a year so it's completely cure. All coating that I experienced with are not that hard to remove even G-technique that claim you must sand them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the Coating and how long it's been on there. Have removed coatings (year old WG Uber) using M205 and orange LC Force pad w/ a Flex 3401. Currently removing a month old coating using Flex, Scholl Honey Spider Pad and Scholl S20, 4 passes with Flex. Likely a decent coating won't be removed with a finishing pad, although the jescar polish *might* remove it if with a more aggressive pad.

Only way to know for sure is to do half the hood, spray it with water and see if it acts like it has no LSP on it and even that's no guarantee it's all gone. Sometimes ya just gotta tell from the look/feel of the paint.

Generally, when I remove a coating will first do a total decon (iron remover, clay), wash with a very concentrated wash soap solution then go after it with polisher/compound. If you have a foam cannon I'll usually foam it with a 1:2 solution of Gyeon Foam, then decon, then clay, then wash, then take the machine to it.

Chances are that no matter what coating, if it's a year or two old it's gonna take a medium polish like Menz 2400 w/ orange light cutting pad but ya never know! Just gotta start trying stuff until YOU'RE convinced it's gone. Generally coatings aren't as tough as mfg claim them to be.

Post Thanks / Like

You think you need a cutting pad and a medium cut polish to remove synergy or centurion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    You think you need a cutting pad and a medium cut polish to remove synergy or centurion?
    Hard to say...never ran across 'em. Generally a good starting point is a medium polish and a light cutting pad although I usually give M205 with a light cutting pad a shot because ya just never know. I'm generally of the belief that if a coating mfg claims 3-5 years durability, it's time to divide by 2 to get a real-world estimate. Their 3-5 years was likely on a test vehicle that accumulated less than 5000 'good weather' miles a year or the coated it, let it sit in their headquarters for 5 years and then said "Good as new...!"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't synergy still more carnauba based than anything else even if it contains some "nano glass particles". If so you should not have an issue polishing that off with a light polish. I have no idea what centurion is.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you trying to correct any marring in addition to removing the coating? If not, I would still go through to complete breakdown of abrasives with Jescar polish. In my opinion, I would want to maximize gloss from the product instead of thinking just a couple section passes may remove the coating. Plus the fact I never want to underwork any DAT's. Just my opinion...

Super Member antti@561detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes carpro spot remover is enough to remove some coatings...and sometimes it takes 1500 grit sandpaper...
    205 with MF pad should be enough for most coatings.
    561 Car Detailing Gtechniq Accredited Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antti@561detailing View Post
    Sometimes carpro spot remover is enough to remove some coatings....
    do you mean Spotless??? If so I don't entirely agree...

Use CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover to maintain your Cquartz coated vehicle. Even though coatings like Cquartz provide a rock-hard barrier of protection, they can still degrade due to the long-term effects of calcium building up on the surface. Regular application of CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover will keep your Cquartz coated vehicle looking its best!

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover

Features:

• Advanced balanced-acid formula safely dissolves hard-water deposited mineral residues before etching can occur.

• Developed to quickly remove damaging water spots

• Compatible and safe for use on clear coat and all CQuartz Nano-Coatings when used as directed.

https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-deco...r-500ml-16-oz/

I use it on coated vehicles. To test this theory one area had a slight high spot... I scrubbed it as hard as I could with Spotless... didn't put a dent in it.
    Used it on another vehicle with a coating that had some spots.. Did the hose/water test... panel reacted just like the other panels without spotless.

But to answer the OP's question, a typical polishing, 4 section passes with a good DAT polish should do the trick. Had to do it just last week when a coated vehicle had PDR... Polished out the panel after the PDR guy left, hit it with some erasure, then CQUK. Came out perfectly...

Post Thanks / Like

3 passes on crystal serum light with essence on rupes yellow took it off for me. Also, gtechniq crystal serum will only need sandpaper to remove if misapplied, i.e. left to cure without wiping at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast