autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD speed vs Megs D166

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Well it's hard to say and like I said above it really depends on what I'm doing

I was planning on using d166 all day for all my quick jobs but I really feel like it needs to be worked more to really take advantage of all it's benefits. It has amore refined feel to it I guess. Sounds weird but when I use it it might make more sense.

Speed is just that it's quick and can blast through the job very quickly for the results your customer is paying for in the time u need it done

So for quick work

Speed
    D166

Taking your time and working it all in

D166
    Speed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    ever use menzerna cut gloss and wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    ever use menzerna cut gloss and wax?
    That's one of my favourites right now.

Compared to speed it cuts more and I find it has a longer working time. It can be worked almost indefinitely and you can do a pretty big area at once if you want because it won't dry behind you.

Speed has an easier wipe off and can be used in the sun. Menzerna says not to use 3 in 1 on a hot surface so I haven't tried it.

Speed is my choice for cars that are already in excellent shape. For everything else I use menzerna. More cut means fewer passes to get the results I'm after.

In terms of durability, I've never tested them side by side. Appearance wise both finish down great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post

Compared to speed it cuts more and I find it has a longer working time. It can be worked almost indefinitely and you can do a pretty big area at once if you want because it won't dry behind you.

Speed has an easier wipe off and can be used in the sun. Menzerna says not to use 3 in 1 on a hot surface so I haven't tried it.

Speed is my choice for cars that are already in excellent shape. For everything else I use menzerna. More cut means fewer passes to get the results I'm after.

In terms of durability, I've never tested them side by side. Appearance wise both finish down great.
    Yes I have it on my shelf and I agree with basically everything you have said. It seems it can be worked Forever. I tested it against speed and 4 other AIOs a few months back, the thread on that is here on AG but it lacked any real protection abilities. I think it was gone within the first month. While it is nice to work for a long time that was also the down fall as it was I guess oily during wipe off so took more effort, not a huge issue but more of an annoyance when trying to turn and burn a job. I have it as on some paint like the Escalade I did a few weeks back mez gave me the best overall job compared to speed, 151 and megs 66

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post

I think Menzerna 3n1 is great to have because like you mention it virtually never dries up so it can be a blessing on paints with alot of oxidation being removed because even removing heavy amounts of oxidation doesn't seem to have any impact on Menzerna 3n1. I agree that Speed is the best option for polishing vehicles in the sun and is much easier to use on cars that just need a light cleaning and gloss enhancement.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the user experience of Speed over 166. Mostly because D166 smells so bad. Speed was a lot thinner, spread out well, and wiped off easy.

If given the choice, I'd still use DG501 over either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok first of all I honestly only read the first three pages of comments. With that said I had the chance to use both Speed and D166 recently on some great muscle cars headed to Mecum in Fl. recently. Started on a 64 vette fastback with a year old repaint that was extremely soft. First was D166. With a Megs mf polishing pad it hazed the black paint. Switched to a Yellow Megs thin foam. No hazing but not enough correction. Switched to HD Speed and mf polishing pad. bingo , looked great. My guess there is a small amount of filling going on but I'm only guessing and there was no time for a panel strip to check. Next was a old faded lacquer painted 63 split window vette. Neither AIO would cut it and switched to M300 and mf cutting pad. Finished with Speed and yellow Megs pad. Looked great. 65 vette convert was next. D166 and mf polishing pad and it looked fantastic. Did a total of six cars ( 56 and 57 T-birds and four vettes ) in two days. 14hrs first day and 12 the second. IMO both products will stay in my arsenal for this type of work. With a assortment of pad types and these two products my job was made a lot easier then just sticking to a single product.

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not yet tried Speed, but I've been using 166 for a few weeks now and I LOVE it. It is extremely easy to work with and wipes off effortlessly. I don't have any issues with the smell as I actually like the smell of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used (and loved) mirror glaze #6.....just received my first bottle of speed and going to give it a try. Sounds like this new meguiars product is great too, but I find that most of their products are top notch. Excited to try the speed after the great reviews.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cleankat View Post
    I've always used (and loved) mirror glaze #6.....just received my first bottle of speed and going to give it a try. Sounds like this new meguiars product is great too, but I find that most of their products are top notch. Excited to try the speed after the great reviews.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ha! Funny you mention #6, I just did a car with that this morning.

11. Likes Cleankat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

M300??? or did you mean d 300?

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast