autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I use a plush microfiber to dry my car?

Can you pass on some links for your go-to drying towels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cheekyage View Post
    Can you pass on some links for your go-to drying towels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For the super pampered treatment after a bucket wash: Large Big Blue Towel. [I pretty much only use that towel on the new Kia that's parked outside. Then it goes back into its drawer to stay clean]

Knock off Griots PFM large drying towels. These work pretty great. A step above waffle weaves in regards to being able to go further.

Waffle weaves are great and I don't think I'll ever ditch them. I try and keep mostly 70/30 blend drying towels. IMO CG sells the best ones and it's the only thing I buy from them. The Gray Matter large towels are the absolute best glass towels I've ever used by far. NormL lesser quality waffle weaves don't compare when it comes to cleaning windows. They're also great on paint.

CG Orange Fatty and pretty much all their dedicated drying towels are very very good. Great for waterless washing too.

Cobra waffle weaves are very good for drying paint. [green 1] The only knock is that it's somewhat of an odd sized narrow towel.

Meguiars Water Magnets are great for using to dry the bottom portions of the vehicle and grills. They're also great for spot check when using the Metro Sidekick after a wash to dry around emblems and mirrors etc. because they're nice and small and very easy to work with.

I also have other waffle weaves such as the California Waffle weave [the white towel] and similar comparable waffle weaves, but they aren't made of the same quality as the ones I mentioned and are a big step below when it comes to everything they do. They're 80/20 blend and I only use them when my good drying towels are all dirty.

IMO the Beagle Edgeless towels are the single biggest overrated product in the world of detailing today. I think I should just let my cat have them already because I never use them anyways. Lol. Can I use a plush microfiber to dry my car?

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

Microfiber products with a flat weave like the Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying towel are normally pretty safe for drying cars because of the FLAT weave.

Abrasive particles don't really have anywhere to LODGE into loose fibers since there are no loose fibers.

If you are going to use any type of towel with a NAP, closed loops or open loops of fiber, then inspect them first.

Probably the most valuable article and video I've ever made as far as helping others to avoid stupid mistakes and keeping their car's paint looking great!

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

And the above is just the video, click the link and READ the entire article.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use them but his other stated they will not dry as well it is a waffle weave. They also may be prone to leaving lint on dark colors. Ask me how I know. Haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I stay away from anything over 350 gsm when it comes to drying or removing polish and here is why I do so, the fibers on these towels that are over 350 gsm are too plush and dirt/tar or polish/wax just gets all caught up in the fibers and locks inside of the towel an just gets to the point where your just pushing around whatever you picked up an becomes a huge mess!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post
    I stay away from anything over 350 gsm when it comes to drying or removing polish and here is why I do so, the fibers on these towels that are over 350 gsm are too plush and dirt/tar or polish/wax just gets all caught up in the fibers and locks inside of the towel an just gets to the point where your just pushing around whatever you picked up an becomes a huge mess!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    The problem is that more is not better. Too many people believe this and MF is one thing where more can be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    The problem is that more is not better. Too many people believe this and MF is one thing where more can be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this, especially when it comes to specific tasks. Almost all of my super plush towels, even the "premium" ones aren't the greatest at drying and/or they lint to some degree. My current favorite drying towel is about 300-350gsm with two naps. It's got a shorter terry weave type nap, then it has a slightly longer, more plush, nap on the opposing side. It was marketed as a quick detailing towel back when it was still available. I randomly tried it out to dry a car and found out it was better than a lot of my towels that are specifically for drying. While it works very well, I plan to try some of the PFM towels everyone has been raving about lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legumes View Post
    I agree with this, especially when it comes to specific tasks. Almost all of my super plush towels, even the "premium" ones aren't the greatest at drying and/or they lint to some degree. My current favorite drying towel is about 300-350gsm with two naps. It's got a shorter terry weave type nap, then it has a slightly longer, more plush, nap on the opposing side. It was marketed as a quick detailing towel back when it was still available. I randomly tried it out to dry a car and found out it was better than a lot of my towels that are specifically for drying. While it works very well, I plan to try some of the PFM towels everyone has been raving about lately.
    I also just use dual nap ~350 gsm towels for drying my car. I keep meaning to try to PFM towels because everyone seems to love them, but considering how much I loathe my waffle weave towels I really don't think I want to waste money on more drying towels that I don't use, lol.

Granted, I only bucket wash my car every month or two, the rest of the time it's either rinseless or waterless, so I never have a huge amount of rinse water on it anymore, so it's not an issue i deal with often.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use

Edit: Link Removed as it's breaking the forum rules -Mike Phillips

I prefer blow drying the car but these towels work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edit

Here's the link to the forum rules...

Forum Rules

Here's the rule you're breaking....

1. The AutogeekOnline discussion forum is exclusively sponsored by Autogeek.com. Product discussion should be limited to products that are available from Autogeek.com and PBMA's family of websites.

Links, videos or recommendations to competing products and companies that are not available through Autogeek.com will be moved to the Moderators forum and offenders will be warned or simply placed into the SELF-BANNED catogary of member groups on this forum.

Repeated linking and recommendations of products not available through Autogeek.com may result in a permanent ban. Moderators have the right to edit any posts that contain links, recommendations or other information pertaining to competing companies that are not associated with Autogeek.com

Thanks for complying...

Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel

The best I ever used for drying. PERIOD!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast