autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeep Wrangler owners

Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a great week sp far. My wife purchased a new Jeep Wrangler today, but not sure what protucts to use on the hard top?

What do you guys recommend to maintain the black plastics and hard top?

Jeep Wrangler owners-20170823_163610-jpgJeep Wrangler owners-20170823_163618-jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jeep Wrangler owners

I use Penetrol on the jeep flares and bumpers. Usually get about 7 months to a year out of it. The black jeep is a 2010 that I did about 3 weeks ago and the red jeep was done a few yrs back, same owner but moved to Pennsylvania. I got that info to use Penetrol from a Jeep forum since all the other plastic/rubber coatings out there only lasted a few days to a few weeks but this stuff lasts a long time and these jeeps are not garaged at all. As you can see the red jeep is a California jeep always outside in sun that the black jeep is a Pa jeep subject to sun and winters.

Penetrol is a paint additive that you use for oil base paints, its not a car detailing product so hopefully I am not breaking any rules on the forum by posting this info, and you foam brush it on and then wipe it off immediately. I had and have luck with it, just my 2 cents.

I am told by the jeep forums that this stuff is great on hardtops, but none of my friends or relatives with Jeeps have hardtops. I do use it on my running boards on my Yukon and Suburban and it lasts about 3-4 months on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep Wrangler owners-p1030976-jpg   Jeep Wrangler owners-larry-1-jpg   Jeep Wrangler owners-larry-3-jpg   Jeep Wrangler owners-p1030973-jpg   Jeep Wrangler owners-p1030975-jpg  
    1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

3. Likes PurpleTowel, jknudsen27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends if you want a coating product would be thinking Dlux, Gyeon trim or gtechniq C4. If you were thinking sealant I would use something along the lines of Mckees plastic trim restorer or Wolfgang exterior trim sealant

I never used penetrol have heard of it. Would only use that on a several year old jeep that already had damage as a last resort personally.

The key is to use something right away and stay on top of it before the fading and damage is done. On a wrangler like that it only takes a year or two till those flares are faded it's gradual so it's not super noticeable to you looking at it each day then one day you will be like woah this got bad especially if you see it next to a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I second this... used this trick with black trim on a lot of my car's black trim as well. Just make sure to wipe it immediately off the paint.
    It does last for MONTHS, doesn't streak and dries very quickly
    I always have a container of it in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by grisby View Post
    I use Penetrol on the jeep flares and bumpers. Usually get about 7 months to a year out of it. The black jeep is a 2010 that I did about 3 weeks ago and the red jeep was done a few yrs back, same owner but moved to Pennsylvania. I got that info to use Penetrol from a Jeep forum since all the other plastic/rubber coatings out there only lasted a few days to a few weeks but this stuff lasts a long time and these jeeps are not garaged at all. As you can see the red jeep is a California jeep always outside in sun that the black jeep is a Pa jeep subject to sun and winters.

Penetrol is a paint additive that you use for oil base paints, its not a car detailing product so hopefully I am not breaking any rules on the forum by posting this info, and you foam brush it on and then wipe it off immediately. I had and have luck with it, just my 2 cents.

I am told by the jeep forums that this stuff is great on hardtops, but none of my friends or relatives with Jeeps have hardtops. I do use it on my running boards on my Yukon and Suburban and it lasts about 3-4 months on them.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thank you for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Great question! I had the same one and consulted with this forum when confronted with the hard-cover jeep. See this thread:
    LSN Auto Detailing - 2002 Jeep Wrangler

What we ended up doing was since we were using HD Speed on the whole vehicle, I did a test spot on the roof... Came out amazing! So we stuck with the process and continued using HD Speed on the hard top.

8. Likes jknudsen27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Great question! I had the same one and consulted with this forum when confronted with the hard-cover jeep. See this thread:
    LSN Auto Detailing - 2002 Jeep Wrangler

What we ended up doing was since we were using HD Speed on the whole vehicle, I did a test spot on the roof... Came out amazing! So we stuck with the process and continued using HD Speed on the hard top.

Awesome thank you!!!! I just detailed a JEEP today with HD speed! Came out great. Jeep Wrangler owners-20170824_122514-jpgJeep Wrangler owners-20170824_122453-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!!! Then you know how awesome it is already! Speed is great because it's safe on plastics, trim etc... If you have a car with a-pillars you'll see how speed will clean those up too!

Post Thanks / Like

yep I use it on all jeeps that I detail. Not just older jeeps but newer as well. That red 09 jeep was done and it was a month old when applied. Never had a problem putting it on newer plastic flares or running boards once again never did a hardtop because folks round here prefer soft
    1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grisby View Post
    yep I use it on all jeeps that I detail. Not just older jeeps but newer as well. That red 09 jeep was done and it was a month old when applied. Never had a problem putting it on newer plastic flares or running boards once again never did a hardtop because folks round here prefer soft
    Awesome!! I have a 95 yj that needs some love so I will try it on that too. Thanks again! Does it protect or just keep them from discoloring?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast