autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Menz Help Please

I recently bought the Menz SIP and nano. The car has some severe micromarring and some scratches and swirls and the paint is a 5 year old repaint that was never taken care of before I bought it. The first time doing a test area on the door(1 week ago) a LC orange pad(the flat kind not the CCS) and SIP was used and the results were very good (before even going to the next step with Nano). That Orange pad was pretty bad (it was falling apart) so I threw it away and bought a Orange CCS LC pad to do the rest of the car with. Today , using the Orange CCS LC pad, noticed it was leaving alot of micromarring and wasnt producing the great results like the regular flat Orange LC pad did. So then a white CCS LC pad was then used on the same area (making sure to prime the pad with a few sprays of distilled water) and no better results were achieved on the same area. The same area was then polished with Nano and a Gray CCS LC pad-which made the area look much better but still a small amount of micro marring could be seen under Halogen lights. From what I have read I understand that before the Nano polish is applied that the finish should be pretty much perfect because the Nano isnt really supposed to be used but for the slightest imperfections. I dont understand why the test area done on the door with the flat Orange LC pad and SIP a week ago came out so much better then the CCS Orange pad and SIP-the only thing I can think of is maybe the flat LC pad created more heat? I read that if the SIP isnt broken down enough it can cause micromarring and if its broken down too much it can cause micromarring. Is there any chance the small amount of micromarring can be removed from the area that has already been done or should it be left alone and move on? You have to have the lights on the area and look really close. Am I just expecting too much? On a 2x2 area a thin 5- 6 inch line of polish was used. Occassionally the pad was sprayed a time or two when needed-with distilled H2O. Polish was worked until it flashed. Any suggestions and ideas would be greately appreciated.

Any idea how many back and forth and up and down overlapping passes on a 2x2 area does it usually take for the SIP to be ready to be removed?(estimation)

Thanks
    Last edited by lethalxls1; 01-05-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menz Help Please

I have always noticed micromarring when using the orange pads, even LC. What I have found is moving to the white pad and 106FF seems to remove most of it and then redoing with grey finishing pad and 106FF or micropolish really finishes it out well. Lots of work, but worth the effort for neglected finishes.

Polishes should always be worked until they flash from a liquid state to a talc or powder type product. Dont count passes as the polish might not break down fully causing more damage.

Post Thanks / Like

SIP is considered a polish as opposed to a finishing polish; try following it with 106FF then 85RE LC CCS Blue or Black foam pad for an amazing finish on any dark coloured paint

See also Menzerna Polishes-
    Methodology Part I
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...gy-part-i.html

Methodology Part II http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-part-ii.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I have always noticed micromarring when using the orange pads, even LC. What I have found is moving to the white pad and 106FF seems to remove most of it and then redoing with grey finishing pad and 106FF or micropolish really finishes it out well. Lots of work, but worth the effort for neglected finishes.

Polishes should always be worked until they flash from a liquid state to a talc or powder type product. Dont count passes as the polish might not break down fully causing more damage.

That makes sense. I appreciate the advice.
    I just cant figure out why the flat orange pad worked so well.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    SIP is considered a polish as opposed to a finishing polish; try following it with 106FF then 85RE LC CCS Blue or Black foam pad for an amazing finish on any dark coloured paint

See also Menzerna Polishes-
    Methodology Part I
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...gy-part-i.html

Methodology Part II http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-part-ii.html
    Thanks ! I have read every post you have made about Menzerna 3-4 times hahah. I appreciate the help. The SIP was followed with Nano polish and it came out looking pretty good. I just thought the SIP should have made the paint look better before moving to the Nano (like when the door was done).
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

KILLRWHEELS- The White LC CCS pad was used with the Nano like you suggested instead of the gray pad and the results were AMAZING!!!! The White pad got all the marring out-flawless! I cant thank you enough!!! A final polish with the Nano and a gray pad will be done as well.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lethalxls1 View Post
    KILLRWHEELS- The White LC CCS pad was used with the Nano like you suggested instead of the gray pad and the results were AMAZING!!!! The White pad got all the marring out-flawless! I cant thank you enough!!! A final polish with the Nano and a gray pad will be done as well.
    The white pad is a polishing pad, and the black pad is a finishing pad. You want to use the white pad to polish, and the black pad pretty much to apply sealant, waxes, glazes, and what not
    I'm glad Scott steered you the right way
    Cheers!
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing polishes should be used with finishing pads such as CCS blue or gray.
    Last edited by D; 01-06-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

^ I agree but the gray pad just wasnt producing good enough results. A gray pad is whats reccomended on AG store for Nano. Switched to a white and it worked excellent.
    Last edited by lethalxls1; 01-06-2008 at 02:21 AM.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of car were you working on? What color?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast