autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

#7 over Tech Wax?

I have a fresh layer of Tech wax on the truck. I am going to apply my PB Blue next. I wasnt sure if the #7 would strip off the Tech Wax before the PB Blue. Anyone have an answer for this one?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: #7 over Tech Wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcrazy View Post
    I have a fresh layer of Tech wax on the truck. I am going to apply my PB Blue next. I wasnt sure if the #7 would strip off the Tech Wax before the PB Blue. Anyone have an answer for this one?
    M7 has no cleaners in it what-so-ever; it is a pure polish. Also note that it has no protection abilities and if a wax is not put over it, it will be gone after the first wash. Because it is a pure polish, it needs to be applied directly to the paint, before any LSP for maximum effect. You could apply it after, but you won't get the full effect.

Post Thanks / Like

As most detailers already know, there are a lot of misnomers in the detailing world. This is especially true with Meguires automotive detailing products. For example, what most manufacturers call a polish/compound, Meguires calls a "cleaner". A cleaner, known in the detailing world, is a product that is non-abrasive, to be used when the finish is in near perfect condition, for readying a finish before applying a glaze, and or sealant/wax. A cleaner typically uses chemicals to clean, and refine the finish prior to sealing, whereas a cleaner to Meguires can be very abrasive, #1, #4, #84 ect.

Meguires #7 is a glaze. It says "Pure Polish" right on the bottle. Well, if you look up polish in the dictionary, the definition is this: "to make smooth and glossy usually by friction" This is the same definition as "Burnish", which is defined by Websters as: "to make shiny or lustrous especially by rubbing" These definitions both date back to the 14th century.

A glaze typically has oils, waxes/fillers as well as some degree of cleaning/polishing ability. According to Pinnacle, their XMT polishes are "Pure Polishes" meaning that they contain NO fillers or wax. The reason behind this is, you can actually see your work. In other words, if a polish had fillers/wax in it, you CANNOT see your work.

I find it funny that Meguires calls this product a "Glaze/Pure Polish".

Whatever.

The bottom line is, this product has to a degree, cleaning/chemical, or slight abrasive properties, and will (or should) remove wax from the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the indept explanation on the Meg's products. Good Post!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fly bye View Post
    As most detailers already know, there are a lot of misnomers in the detailing world. This is especially true with Meguires automotive detailing products. For example, what most manufacturers call a polish/compound, Meguires calls a "cleaner". A cleaner, known in the detailing world, is a product that is non-abrasive, to be used when the finish is in near perfect condition, for readying a finish before applying a glaze, and or sealant/wax. A cleaner typically uses chemicals to clean, and refine the finish prior to sealing, whereas a cleaner to Meguires can be very abrasive, #1, #4, #84 ect.

Meguires #7 is a glaze. It says "Pure Polish" right on the bottle. Well, if you look up polish in the dictionary, the definition is this: "to make smooth and glossy usually by friction" This is the same definition as "Burnish", which is defined by Websters as: "to make shiny or lustrous especially by rubbing" These definitions both date back to the 14th century.

A glaze typically has oils, waxes/fillers as well as some degree of cleaning/polishing ability. According to Pinnacle, their XMT polishes are "Pure Polishes" meaning that they contain NO fillers or wax. The reason behind this is, you can actually see your work. In other words, if a polish had fillers/wax in it, you CANNOT see your work.

I find it funny that Meguires calls this product a "Glaze/Pure Polish".

Whatever.

The bottom line is, this product has to a degree, cleaning/chemical, or slight abrasive properties, and will (or should) remove wax from the finish.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but that is completely false!

First, your definition of cleaners is wrong. There are both chemicle cleaners and diminishing abrassive cleaners in the Meguiar's line. Cleaning, as defined by Meguiar's, is the term used for when you remove paint. Both non-abrassive, chemicle, and compound cleaners ALL do this. Removing paint, or cleaning, is used to remove imperfections such as ething, scratches, swirls, and marring.

Now the term polish itself means to produce beauty. You can infact use it interchangably with cleaning, but Meguiar's seperates the two terms for the reason of helping people understand two difference steps. We just covered the step of cleaning, or leveling/removing paint to produce the best optical reflection. They then use the term polish or glaze for the step where oils are added to the paint. Many manufactorer's cleaner/polishes actually have these oils in them to help lubricate the surface, but they serve the same purpose, which is to fill in pours in the paint to help keep it from oxidizing.

The other thing you got wrong is that M7 has NO cleaners in it what-so-ever, which is a unique thing. I have used M7 countless times, both ontop of an LSP and beneath it. It will not remove the LSP/wax/sealant as it has no ability to. M7 is nothing but pure oils. When paint oxidizes, especially single stage, that means it has essentially been beat down by UV rays and dried out. M7 conditions the paint again and will infact bring back its luster. Paint itself is a porous surface, (not so much two-stage, but single stage is very porous) and when you add in the oils, it fills in these pours, bringing back luster.

You have to remember M7 was produced back in the day before there was such a thing as a wax. You would use it to bring luster back to your dried out, single stage paint, and to put it plainly, it worked! It doesn't perform as much of a jaw dropping difference on modern day clear-coated surfaced, but it will still help. Today, this adding oil, or polishing step, has been much replaced by using a cleaner/polish with the PC/UDM/rotary or even in the LSP itself. Many waxes out there do infact contain oils in them to help fill in these pours (souveran, Zymol, Zaino has its own way of doing it), an while they may not all use the same type of oils, it is still usually done. There are only two waxes that I know of that do not contain any oils in them (talking directly for carnauba based as synthetics are a different ball game), and that is M16 and M26. I do have a few other guesses of waxes that may not contain polishing oils, but I can't confirm it.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question, you are wasting your time putting #7 on top of Tech wax. #7 is good for after polishing to add oils and fillers into the paint bringing enhancing the shine and the topping with Tech wax. Tech wax has some cleaning properties and may diminsh the #7 so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-man
    I'm not sure where you get your information, but that is completely false!
    Are you for real!!!

You need to get your fact straights before you go undermining someones integrity

Post Thanks / Like

My definition of cleaners is wrong? First off, what I explained is Meguires definition of cleaners.

First, your definition of cleaners is wrong. There are both chemicle cleaners and diminishing abrassive cleaners in the Meguiar's line.
    There are no cleaners in the Meguires line that do NOT contain abrasives.

These are all the products by meguires that contain the word "CLEANER" in the name. These are ALL abrasive. They are NOT chemical cleaners. Meguires doesn't make a cleaner that is NOT abrasive.

These products on the other hand, would be considered a cleaner/polish/glaze. Do you see the word "CLEANER" in the product name on the bottle? I don't.

As far as the word "Polish" is concerned, I explained that in my post. "To make smooth and glossy usually by "friction" This definition is in Websters English dictionary. maybe you don't read English?

Now the term polish itself means to produce beauty. You can infact use it interchangably with cleaning, but Meguiar's seperates the two terms
    This is correct in terms of polishing/cleaning being simular. As a matter of fact, most companies also separate these two terms even though they can be used together. The thing that you don't understand is, (I clearly explained this in my post) what most companies refur to as a cleaner, which is a very light polish, usually from chemical cleaners, Meguires refurs to as an "Abrasive Cutting Agent" That is a Misnomer.

Polishing and compounding are essentially the same thing, compounding being the more agressive of the two. In the world of detailing, polishing and cleaning are simular, cleaning being the least aggressive of the two. There are cleaners out there that are intended for finishes that are near perfect, (no abrasive properties) while a Cleaner in the Meguires line is an aggressive polish/compound, a misnomer.

They then use the term polish or glaze for the step where oils are added to the paint.
    The whole point of my post was to point out misnomers in the world of detailing.

Meguires has it backwards. What one manufacturer calls a polish/compound, Meguires calls a "Cleaner". What Meguires calls a polish/glaze, most other manufactures call a "Cleaner"

I made this perfectly clear in my post. Apparently you don't have the skills to understand something so simple.

As I explaned in my post, XMT polishes are "PURE POLISHES", meaning that they contain no FILLERS or WAXES!!! It says right on the bottle. XMT Pure Polish is an abrasive.

Meguires #7 is a pure polish, which according to Pinnacle XMT, contains NO fillers or waxes. Thats not the case with Meguires #7. If you remembered the part of my post that described something along the line of "MISNOMER"? Thats was what my message was primarily about, but apparently you didn't get that.

A product that one company calls, and does, may be called something by another manufacturer that is the total opposite.

For your information, pure Caranuba wax is extremely hard. All Caranuba wax has oils, and other agents so that it can be used on automotive finishes.

You keep saying MY definition is wrong, I don't define Meguires products, Meguires products are defined by themselves, the manufacturer.

Before you go undermining somebody, do your homework first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zaxjax View Post
    To answer your question, you are wasting your time putting #7 on top of Tech wax. #7 is good for after polishing to add oils and fillers into the paint bringing enhancing the shine and the topping with Tech wax. Tech wax has some cleaning properties and may diminsh the #7 so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

top #7 off with the tech wax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast