autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Appearance: wax vs sealant

Hello folks,

Sorry for this dumb request. Can someone post pictures showing the difference of carnauba wax vs sealant?

I keep reading that carnauba provides "depth" while sealants provide "hard candy shell" shine. But I am not sure how this 2 look like.

Thank you in advance.

Mike Phillips

Re: Appearance: wax vs sealant

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I'm on my phone but if I were on my computer I could share pictures of cars finished with waxes, synthetic sealants and Ceramic paint coatings and they would all look liquid wet.

I know the terms your talking about, been reading people's descriptions and persecution S about how various products make paint look for years and while there can be differences the more important factor is to find something you like using and makes the paint on your car look great in your eyes.

That probably doesn't help but I wanted to chime in...

Post Thanks / Like

Take this for whats its worth. I consider myself a rookie at this. I can't say which is best as I never used them solely on there own.

However here is a picture of mine early summer 2016 with Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant, topped with there Fuzion.

and one with Wolfgang coating.

IMO you can't go wrong with either, its just what you are after look wise and how often you want to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I'm on my phone but if I were on my computer I could share pictures of cars finished with waxes, synthetic sealants and Ceramic paint coatings and they would all look liquid wet.

I know the terms your talking about, been reading people's descriptions and persecution S about how various products make paint look for years and while there can be differences the more important factor is to find something you like using and makes the paint on your car look great in your eyes.

That probably doesn't help but I wanted to chime in...

Thank you Mike! I totally agree that what is nice to me may not be for other people.

I guess I just wanted to see this "depth vs candy shine" difference so I can decide on what my next purchase would be

I have used collinite, cheap carnauba, synthetic waxes, and so far they have small differences but i am yet to find my sweet spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Take this for whats its worth. I consider myself a rookie at this. I can't say which is best as I never used them solely on there own.

However here is a picture of mine early summer 2016 with Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant, topped with there Fuzion.

and one with Wolfgang coating.

IMO you can't go wrong with either, its just what you are after look wise and how often you want to it.
    Thank you! I see little to no difference but both are so shiny, my eyes hurt if i look too long.

I am still on the fence about coatings, i am still enjoying the Sunday labor

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya, those were the only 2 pictures I had to use for a somewhat side by side.

Post Thanks / Like

To confuse things any more is the definition of "sealant" and "wax". Many of the products we talk about as waxes, or are labeled as a wax, are actually sealants!

Rather than trying to figure out which type of product creates a certain appearance, you might be better off just keep trying various products until you find one that really hits the mark in your eyes. I too have only found very subtle differences between some products. Lately I've been using McKee's 37 coating and I cannot tell the difference at all between it and Collinite 845. Not that it's a bad thing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    I hear ya, those were the only 2 pictures I had to use for a somewhat side by side.
    Yes and i thank you for exerting the effort to help me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    To confuse things any more is the definition of "sealant" and "wax". Many of the products we talk about as waxes, or are labeled as a wax, are actually sealants!

Rather than trying to figure out which type of product creates a certain appearance, you might be better off just keep trying various products until you find one that really hits the mark in your eyes. I too have only found very subtle differences between some products. Lately I've been using McKee's 37 coating and I cannot tell the difference at all between it and Collinite 845. Not that it's a bad thing.
    I agree! My definition is waxes are natural waxes, while sealants are man-made waxes!

Post Thanks / Like

Appearance: wax vs sealant-0402171903-01-jpg

Hydro Blue.

I think you get the best of both worlds. The gloss and depth of a good wax and the glass like shine and protection of a sealant.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast