autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1931 Auburn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1931 Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    One suggestion,

Foam cannon via pressure washer!

Just kidding of course!

I'd stock up on lots of waterless wash. My only experience with cars of that vintage is watching episodes of Mike Phillips on Competition Ready

Find out as much information you can about the paint and restoration history as mentioned above. Looking forward to seeing the results.
    Agree. But if shop wants top clean---may have to get car wet to correct top using Ragg Top products.
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    You got this!

I doubt I'll be much help being that I'm likely to be asleep when any "hand holding" is needed being that I'm on the other side of the planet but heck I'll offer my opinion where I can. I'll start now aye? I know when working on classic vehicles we tend to avoid the normal "wet" wash routine but looking at the pictures I think a good agressive wash may save some heartache going forward. Especially scrubbing those tyres & that fabric hood.

I'm pretty excited for you getting such a vehicle to work on, & I (like many I'm sure) look forward to following along on this one.

Aaryn NZ.
    Thanks for chiming in and the support! Will get a plan together soon. I think I have couple of weeks or so. This is going to give me time to order products!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I think you're going to be fine TMQ. That paint is already a disaster, there's nowhere to go but up. You'll be able to make a great improvement, but perhaps not perfection. Looks like there are some fairly deep pits or pinholes, manage the owner's expectations. Have fun with this.

I agree with you. Probably be going over to shop to begin "Pre-existing problem" assessment and document the findings.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    PM Sent. One thing, do not under quote. It's a bigger project than you think.

You should find out when the vehicle was restored and if there are any papers on how it was restored.

Is the owner preparing to sell or enter it, enter it into concourse events or both?

All of these will play a factor on what your plan will be. Be prepared to do a plan and discuss with the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    I will be developing an assessment and will have a list of questions I need to know before tackling the job. And from that---should have an idea of what needs done.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm with you on your thinking...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you the best but a mistake on a car of this value could break you and your bank. Frankly if you must ask for mass audience help on a job this important you just might be in over your head. I admit I would be and wouldn't even tackle it. No offence intended just be damn sure of what you're getting into.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I wish you the best but a mistake on a car of this value could break you and your bank. Frankly if you must ask for mass audience help on a job this important you just might be in over your head. I admit I would be and wouldn't even tackle it. No offence intended just be damn sure of what you're getting into.
    In over my head? Not really. Just gonna take more time, lots of curves, pin striping etc. More on prep work than the actual polishing itself.

Thought be a hoot if you guys want an "Internet project" and contribute in a way. But no---task is very doable. If you think about it, not much different between a family driver and a
    classic car. Both respond to a polish the same way. (Of course---depending on testing.) Will be doing extra testing just to be certain. Bottom line---bring the experience and a dose of basic common sense to the task and one should be fine.

Believe me---I would not do it if I felt unsure of any of the tasks ahead.

And this is a Biggie---The Competition Ready class. This alone made the world of difference! Without this---I would've never been able to comprehend polishing an Auburn! But now---no biggie. Just gonna take more time, some thinking, series of small testing and the use of proper abrasives to the task.

Sorry---didn't mean to ramble on!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you, Tommy! Nothing wrong with letting your friends share this great experience. I for one appreciate you doing it. She'll look beautiful again after you're done.

Best of luck on the job and enjoy the living heck out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use Rinseless wash to clean cars of this age, with the 'bucket of towels' method.

As for polishing, how old is the paint? I would be stunned if it was original, but it could be an old respray.

Good luck Tom! Working on cars like these make you feel part of the it's history!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I'm with you, Tommy! Nothing wrong with letting your friends share this great experience. I for one appreciate you doing it. She'll look beautiful again after you're done.

Best of luck on the job and enjoy the living heck out of it.
    Thanks...Will share "action" plan once I finish with assessment.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I always use Rinseless wash to clean cars of this age, with the 'bucket of towels' method.

As for polishing, how old is the paint? I would be stunned if it was original, but it could be an old respray.

Good luck Tom! Working on cars like these make you feel part of the it's history!

Thank you.

I agree with you. That is showing consideration and respect towards the customer and his/her cars. Very good practice to do!

While assessing, will find out if they want the top looking fresh and they're ok with car getting wet. Otherwise, I will skip the top. (Will recommend the top be cleaned and protected).

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast